Iowa or Cincinnati?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiajanah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both school, and it looks like I won't be getting any more acceptances, so it it time for me to really start deciding. I am out of state for both schools.

Any advice/insights/opinions about which school would be the better choice would be greatly appreciated.

IOWA:
pros
+great, integrated program with forth year for electives
+cheap nearby medical fraternity housing
+good ophthamology program (might be of interest to me)
+distinction programs (teaching, service, humanities, research, etc.)
cons
-Iowa city area is boring, might feel isolated
-much more expensive than cinci
-farther away from home
-cold
-no med student gym...

CINCI:
pros
+culture-rich city area where there is lots to do
+closer to home
+warmer
+cheaper (can get in state tuition after 1st year)
+super nice facilities
cons
-curriculum (maybe) not as great
-not as highly ranked as iowa
-not as well known

Questions
Which hospital systems are better for rotations?
When does Cinci start and end their rotations?
Do both schools usually have their students attend residencies in the midwest?
What other factors might I want to consider? Both schools I like a lot, so every detail matters at this point.

Thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to both school, and it looks like I won't be getting any more acceptances, so it it time for me to really start deciding. I am out of state for both schools.

Any advice/insights/opinions about which school would be the better choice would be greatly appreciated.

IOWA:
pros
+great, integrated program with forth year for electives
+cheap nearby medical fraternity housing
+good ophthamology program (might be of interest to me)
+distinction programs (teaching, service, humanities, research, etc.)
cons
-Iowa city area is boring, might feel isolated
-much more expensive than cinci
-farther away from home
-cold
-no med student gym...

CINCI:
pros
+culture-rich city area where there is lots to do
+closer to home
+warmer
+super nice facilities
cons
-curriculum (maybe) not as great
-not as highly ranked as iowa
-not as well known

Questions
Which hospital systems are better for rotations?
When does Cinci start and end their rotations?
Do both schools usually have their students attend residencies in the midwest?
What other factors might I want to consider? Both schools I like a lot, so every detail matters at this point.

Thanks for the feedback!

Lol medical fraternity housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I've been accepted to both of these schools, too, as well as Ohio State. I'm in-state for Ohio, but between the three I am super torn. I think Iowa is my favorite school, but the COA and distance from home is a deterrent for me.

Cinci is associated with a really well-ranked children's hospital, so if you are at all interested in peds this could be a major plus.

I think Iowa is probably better for hospital rotations. The UI Hospital system is great, and apparently Iowa City is ranked one of the best cities to work as a physician.

Honestly your pro/con basically the same as mine, and I am still very much undecided haha. What's your state of residency?

Both are in the midwest and both are going to be cold regardless. You're only looking at, on average, a 4 degree difference throughout the year. So to me that's a pretty large non-issue.

CINCI:
pros

IS tuition would be a deal-breaker for some. I don't know your financial situation but it's a huge debt differential.

Also, what do you value most in a medical school? Your pro/con list would ideally be weighted in terms of relative importance.

I vote Cinci. Rankings do not mean much outside of Top 20, which Iowa isn't in.

Lol medical fraternity housing?

When I interviewed at Tulane my student host was living in a med school frat house. I had the same reaction as you, but apparently med school feats do exist.

Another factor I am considering...

Iowa has 1.5 years preclinical, while Cincinnati has 2 years preclinical.

Is it worth the extra money and worse location of Iowa to get more time for rotations/electives/residency applications?

Or would Cinci be the better choice, being cheaper with a better location, but less time for rotations/electives/residency applications?

Thoughts?

Hi! I've been accepted to both of these schools, too, as well as Ohio State. I'm in-state for Ohio, but between the three I am super torn. I think Iowa is my favorite school, but the COA and distance from home is a deterrent for me.

Cinci is associated with a really well-ranked children's hospital, so if you are at all interested in peds this could be a major plus.

I think Iowa is probably better for hospital rotations. The UI Hospital system is great, and apparently Iowa City is ranked one of the best cities to work as a physician.

Honestly your pro/con basically the same as mine, and I am still very much undecided haha. What's your state of residency?

Michigan!

The difference in ranking is marginal and unimportant. Don't let that factor into it. Sounds like you're leaning with cinci.

When I interviewed at Tulane my student host was living in a med school frat house. I had the same reaction as you, but apparently med school feats do exist.
Do they fit the frat bro stereotype, like me?

Also, I recommend Cincinnati, I interviewed there and liked it a lot! I gave it a C+ rating on my famous interview day reviews, however that was due to the Starbucks being inaccessible to guests and the expensive flights.

If you really want to go about making a decision in a quantitative manner, I recommend a Pugh matrix :prof:

Attachments

• Pugh Decision Making Matrix.xls
    52 KB · Views: 93
I would go with Iowa. Seems like they have better pros. Also, Cincinnati is not always warm!