2021-2022 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS WL Number 20! Sounds like I'll probably be accepted I guess? Thanks for withdrawing Serotonin!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
:( man I’m afraid to look after seeing the decisions so far

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That is strange. My start position and current position did not match so I'm unsure of how it syncs

Reactions: 1 users
Also when is it appropriate to set up a meeting to ask for admissions feedback before a reapplication cycle?

Accepted. Grateful and surprised. Is there an acccepted students group me?

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Accepted. Grateful and surprised. Is there an acccepted students group me?
There’s an accepted student Facebook group! Not sure about Group Me. Look up Carver College of Medicine Class of 2026! Congrats!

Rejected, OOS interviewed early September, LM 67. Goodluck to all the waitlisted applicants!!

• Care
IS WL mid 20s.. Anyone have any idea how much the IS WL has moved in recent years??
Last year the #25 on the WL ended up at #1 at the end of the cycle so essentially what I’ve been told is if you’re position #20 or less there’s a good chance, #10 or less you’re golden.

Reactions: 3 users
That is strange. My start position and current position did not match so I'm unsure of how it syncs
Someone said the OOS list has moved already. So you’re seeing your starting vs current position

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected for the third year in a row. This was my only interview this year. OOS

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 22 users
I haven’t gotten an email, does this mean rejection? Scared to check.

Rejected for the third year in a row. This was my only interview this year. OOS
I'm so sorry friend. Feel free to message me if you want to rant to someone.

• Care
“We will accept phone calls to schedule these appointments starting March 22”

Does that mean the appointments start on March 22nd or that they won’t accept calls until March 22nd and the appointments will be even later than that? Oh yeah btw, R, IS 😅

Does anyone know when the IS WL starts moving? The OOS already is. Would it be fair to imagine that it doesn’t really move until April when AMCAS makes people pick their med school?

Say whatever else you will about this process here, but Iowa's consistency in scheduling is something to behold. Same day every time. For lurkers in February next year: final pool release on Wednesday the 8th. Book it.

I'm so sorry friend. Feel free to message me if you want to rant to someone.
It just a big blow. I just got to Canada to visit my brother so now I’ve been here 2 hours and I’m crying and he doesn’t know what to do. He took me to a coffee shop for hot cocoa.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
It just a big blow. I just got to Canada to visit my brother so now I’ve been here 2 hours and I’m crying and he doesn’t know what to do. He took me to a coffee shop for hot cocoa.
And what does one do? Does one apply a FOURTH time? Quaterlife crisis mode.

• Care
I am so so sorry to hear this. Did you ask them for feedback last time and are you going to this time?

Rejected, OOS. Yikes. It’s ruthless out here.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I guarantee a DO school like CCOM or DMU would take you if you applied in another cycle

I am so so sorry to hear this. Did you ask them for feedback last time and are you going to this time?
Yes and yes. I know they have some thing about applying 4 years in a row if you don’t make “significant changes” so idk if I can apply to them specifically again. I mean I’ve been working a clinical job for the past year and a half so that seems significant.

• Care
I guarantee a DO school like CCOM or DMU would take you if you applied in another cycle
Yeah I do want to apply more broadly. My MCAT was expired at like 50% of schools this cycle so my list wasn’t great. I only applied to PCOM an Michigan for DO this past cycle. Most of the really good ones didn’t accept my MCAT. I’ve already started studying to retake it. Just having that “is it worth it” moment.

• Care
I received an email to check my portal and received the R
I’m up to 12 post II Rs/WLs at this point so fortunately I’m somewhat desensitized to it. At least it’s Proof that a good amount of schools don’t read full applications or they send out interviews automatically beyond a certain score/gpa

• Sad
I’m up to 12 post II Rs/WLs at this point so fortunately I’m somewhat desensitized to it. At least it’s Proof that a good amount of schools don’t read full applications or they send out interviews automatically beyond a certain score/gpa
This is so difficult. I hate that the system is this way. I wish all of us could get in and have a shot at our dream

List is MOVING. OOS moved up 5 spots

Now I'm up to 17 after starting at 20, was not expecting to move 3 spots in one day lol

Previous year's threads are pretty confusing. Does anyone know what rank is safe to be in for an acceptance?

I got rejected OOS. Good luck to everyone on the alt list!

• Care
Previous year's threads are pretty confusing. Does anyone know what rank is safe to be in for an acceptance?
IS like someone said earlier 10 is almost guaranteed, 20 is a decent chance 30+ is unlikely. OOS is very inconsistent. I've heard of years where they take 30 and some years it goes into the 60-70s

IS like someone said earlier 10 is almost guaranteed, 20 is a decent chance 30+ is unlikely. OOS is very inconsistent. I've heard of years where they take 30 and some years it goes into the 60-70s
I have been asking around (knew a decent number of people IS rank 15-25 from previous years) and they said IS has almost no movement until late April, but that anyone #1-#15 is very good chances, #16-#20 is decent chances, #20-#25 less likely but has happened. Not likely to go beyond #25. Last year it moved 23 places.

• Wow
Also waitlisted! OOS. Was in the 20s and excited to see that I'm already in the teens. I love how transparent they are about their waitlist!

Can any current students tell us if they know the average number of students off the lists in their classes? I know last year about 20 came off the IS list but is that high? The MSAR makes that seem high but I know someone who is around number 20 IS this year and is hella confident they are getting in.

Just curious for those OOS who were waitlisted but also hold acceptance(s) to other schools, do you plan to stick to the waitlist for this school?

Can any current students tell us if they know the average number of students off the lists in their classes? I know last year about 20 came off the IS list but is that high? The MSAR makes that seem high but I know someone who is around number 20 IS this year and is hella confident they are getting in.
Answered my own question. All years in the last ten had more than 20 accepted off the IS WL with the exception of the 2019-2020 year where only 12 got in 😬 so chances are good if you’re top 20 IS unless the class decides to pull a 2019. Thank you and enjoy the anxiety!

Attachments

• E8A5ECE9-EDF0-46D4-8C80-EA42F291B3CA.png
    E8A5ECE9-EDF0-46D4-8C80-EA42F291B3CA.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 218
  • Haha
So the data has one outlier which makes it not easily given. If you leave out 2019, everyone ranked #1-#20 can be comfortable. However, in 2019, the IS list only moved twelve places. Important to note here was that this was the year the AAMC introduced the two dates to narrow down school selection so they may have over offered (ie students who should have been waitlisted were given offers and that’s why they didn’t see movement because that happened from within the class).

Anyone have data on previous OOS WL movement? You guys are on top of things with the IS haha

Reactions: 4 users