Interviewed Today! Wanted to share!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RachelEve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiii guys! I had my interview for Ross today with JD in Boston and for those of you who are curious, interested, nervous, or awaiting your own interview, I just thought I'd take the time to share my experience with you. I don't want to jinx myself because I'm still trying to keep in mind the rejection is still always possible, but the interview went really great. I prepared general answers in my head to most of the questions people listed on these forums, and as it turns out, I wasn't really asked a single one of them.

My experience was much more of an engaging conversation than an interview. All in all, the best advice I can give is to just BE YOURSELF. Answer honestly. If you're really passionate and dedicated to this career path, the person should really be able to feel that in the answers you give. Be honest about your shortcomings if they bring them up. If you got a bunch of C's, just make sure you understand WHY you got a bunch of C's. Be prepared to explain what you've learned and what your plan is to make sure you succeed in med school. She really stressed the fact that this is your time to discuss your uniqueness and personal experiences that cannot possibly come across fully in a 300 word essay or on a few pieces of paper.

In general, I think I was most surprised that my interviewer was very obviously positive and vocal about my strong points, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Anyway, hope this was helpful and if anyone has any more questions just feel free to ask.

---And cross your fingers for good news!!!:D----

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really need help on the "evaluating your strength and weaknesses" part!!! What are they looking for...? How to structure that?

HELP!

Personally this question wasn't a challenge for me and I wasn't asked it during my interview, but having a grasp on the general idea is very important. I think it might be helpful for you to ask someone who knows you best. Go to your best friend and ask him/her what your weaknesses and strengths are - they might have some really valuable things to say. Approach it as a "how would your friends describe you?" kind of question.

For example, I would say that I am ambitious, passionate, motivated, compassionate, adaptable, and have very strong communication skills (which if this is true, should be immediately evident to the interviewer anyway). For weaknesses, I'd say I'm a perfectionist and it tends to make things take much longer than they should because everything has to be just so. At times, I can also be stubborn and impatient, but sometimes this works to my advantage since I usually won't give up until I figure out whatever it is I'm doing.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
For example, I would say that I am ambitious, passionate, motivated, compassionate, adaptable, and have very strong communication skills (which if this is true, should be immediately evident to the interviewer anyway).

THANK you!!! That's what I was thinking....just needed to make sure

For weaknesses, I'd say I'm a perfectionist and it tends to make things take much longer than they should because everything has to be just so. At times, I can also be stubborn and impatient, but sometimes this works to my advantage since I usually won't give up until I figure out whatever it is I'm doing.

HHAHAA....sounds exactly like me....actually in one of my LORs it stated that I can be quite focused on the goal sometimes which makes it harder to work with me in certain situations.....however that I am very open minded and responsive to input and opinions!!! :D

Think I will quote that for my reference!!!

THANK YOU!!!

This is just me, but I would NOT quote anything from your references. Technically, it's recommended that you waive your right to see them because that way it makes the comments seem much more trustworthy. It makes sense if you think about it- a person is much more likely to be honest if they know you won't be reading what they wrote. So anyway, if you've read them, just take it as a nice boost for your ego but I wouldn't let on that you've seen them.

Hey just a side note- when you state weaknesses make sure you can also turn them into positives. So when rach said she's a perfectionist and things can take a long time yea maybe a negative BUT bc she's a perfections the job is always done correctly. Also if you're a very compassionate person it can be a stregnth BUT it can also be a weakness if you can't separate yourself from patients etc. So make sure whatever weakness you choose, that you can also back it up by making it a positive. Good luck!

Coralis, how did your interview go!?

Hey RachelEve,

I woke up SUPER sick yesterday :-(....was soooo out of it. The interview went ok, I did not feel extraordinary about it :-(. He asked a lot of questions about what I did in Highschool :)

Other questions:

"When did you decide you want to be a doctor?" I said highschool, when I started being attracted to Biology. I also enjoy being around people and helping people.

"Why do you want to be a doctor" - because I love the detective work one must do, I love the schedule flexibility, being around people. In addition I tried to work in other areas, and realised that it does not satisfy me. The only time I would feel alive was when volunteering on the ambulance, or working in the clinic.

"What would you say your one strength is?" Communicative/talkative! I love to talk to people, I hate uncomfortable silences, and tend to talk to random people. Also, a uniqueness I think I have, is that I like to speak to people in their own language, they seem to light up when one speaks to them in their language, even if gramatically incorrect. (Note: I speak 4 languages fluently and working on 2 others).

Well that's about it! Hope it goes well :xf:!!!!

I got in for Jan. 2010!!! Ahhhh. She called me around 9:30 last night and I almost burst into tears, hahah. Coralis have you heard anything yet!?

I got in for Jan. 2010!!! Ahhhh. She called me around 9:30 last night and I almost burst into tears, hahah. Coralis have you heard anything yet!?

CONGRAAAAAATTTTTTSSSS!!!!!
Nothing for me yet :-S

I have my interview tomorrow in Ft. Worth.

interview went well. pretty simple questions. hardest one was about having to adapt to something new and challenging. other than that they were normal questions about strengths and weaknesses and why i wanted to be a physician. She asked me about my MCAT and my academic history. She asked me what I could bring to the world of medicine. She also asked how I deal with stress.

interview went well. pretty simple questions. hardest one was about having to adapt to something new and challenging. other than that they were normal questions about strengths and weaknesses and why i wanted to be a physician. She asked me about my MCAT and my academic history. She asked me what I could bring to the world of medicine. She also asked how I deal with stress.

Sounds straight forward....I am sure you are breathing easier.....your answer will come soon! Enjoy the pressure alleviation, for a day or two, as more shall come when you wait by the phone :p

How long did it take for them to call you after your interview?