Accepted to MD Caribean and want to go to PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moonlight33

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently got accepted to MD school caribean and I have been working with both physician and PAs. and I like what the physician do more but I am thinking of declining the acceptance and consider PA school because I am really concerned about getting the residency although I don't want competitive ones. I really like medicine but I heard that going to caribean means I have to be on to of my class and study alot. I need help to decide on this and if I will regret declining the MD offer and go for PA. ?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a big fork in the road for you as you are looking at two completely different careers and lifestyles. With the Caribbean you risk getting $100Ks in debt, wasting at least 4 years of your life, opportunity costs, self-esteem. With PA you run the risk of being dissatisfied with your work and having regrets later in life about not pursuing an MD.

But lets take a step back. Your post makes me concerned about your dedication to either field. First of all, if you are worried that you'll have to "study alot" then medicine (and to a lesser extent PA) are off the table. If you go into medicine and want to be anywhere close to competent you'll need to study ALOT. You'll study to pass USMLE/boards, to learn concepts, to understand patients etc. I'm guessing that you applied to and were rejected by US medical schools. ***Most important*** If you believe a large part of why you got rejected from US med schools is because of difficulty with handling academic performance, think long and hard about how well you'll do studying medicine in the Caribbean with x4 times the work of undergrad.

I couldn't tell from your post whether you were taking comfort in the fact that you planned to apply to a less competitive residency. Let me just say that if you apply as a Caribbean medical student, realize that the concept of a 'less competitive' (i.e. backup) residency does not apply to you. At least half of your class will not match and that's if you go to one of the better Caribbean schools. Did they all just happen to apply to a neurosurgery? Think about that but my guess is no.

I think being a midlevel can be a rewarding career if you go into it for the right reasons and have the right expectations. Despite efforts by professional societies to blur lines between physicians and midlevels, a midlevel will never be a doctor. You won't earn as much, know as much, or have an MD/DO after your name. Can you handle that? I can't. If I couldn't be a doctor I would consider law, business, or teaching. Failing to get into medical school then 'settling' for a job as a midlevel or RN would eat at me forever. I know myself too well to be that cruel. That said, many of the midlevels I know are well adjusted, love their jobs, and see their families a lot more often than I do. They often earned 2-3 times what I made as a resident too.

In summary, I can't recommend Caribbean to anyone who wants to do medicine and I can't recommend medicine to anyone who isn't absolutely sure it's for them.

Depending on your financial situation and where you are in your life you can consider taking a year or two off to do something productive and think about it.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hi All,
I recently got accepted to MD school caribean and I have been working with both physician and PAs. and I like what the physician do more but I am thinking of declining the acceptance and consider PA school because I am really concerned about getting the residency although I don't want competitive ones. I really like medicine but I heard that going to caribean means I have to be on to of my class and study alot. I need help to decide on this and if I will regret declining the MD offer and go for PA. ?
I noticed in 2019 you were asking about optometry. But somewhere along the way you took a clinical job (scribe/MA/CNA) and decided to lob an application to the Caribbean. Don't go there. It's playing Russian Roulette with you future, only half the chambers have rounds in them.

If I were in your shoes I would go the PA route. Shorter training, less debt, good pay, and you can work in different fields without enduring residency. LECOM has an accelerated PA to DO program if you ever want to do the physician thing later on.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I would say you should go for MD if you really want to be in Medical space.... if you can work hard and dedicate.... it is worth pursuing....