General Admissions & OTCAS Interview - Writing Sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otappmsu

Reaction score
Hi! I have some interviews that include a writing portion. I'm not exactly sure what that entails. Does anyone know what to expect? Will they give a prompt related to OT or a scenario? Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I have some interviews that include a writing portion. I'm not exactly sure what that entails. Does anyone know what to expect? Will they give a prompt related to OT or a scenario? Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi! Congratulations on your interviews! In my experience, I have written essays that are very general and just looking at your writing ability/thought processes as well as more OT related and structured. I encountered one where I was presented with a fictional scenario and asked how I would help that person. In another I was asked to write about a time that I was wrong and what I would have done differently. On the other hand, I have also had to write in much more structured ways where I was presented with a research article and told to write an introduction, summarize the article, and then apply it to an OT related issue. I have always been told how long I would have to prepare the essay which in my experience has been 30 minutes or less. One thing I will say is that I have never had to write an essay where it was assumed that I was already very knowledgable in OT. You obviously have to understand the profession and what OTs do but, at least in my experience, the prompts never assumed technical knowledge that would come with school/professional experience. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Mainly with this they want to see your writing skills/ ability to edit in a short time period. I'm only in my first semester of OT school but we will be doing a lot of documentation for our patients. We will need to be able to articulate our thoughts clearly and in a timely manner (which is why so many programs ask to see writing samples).