Other OT-Related Information Goal Writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTgirl29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first semester OT student, and was wondering if anyone could give any insight on learning and mastering goal writing. Obviously, this is an essential skill to have as an OT, and I find I am struggling with it, which makes me very nervous. Did anyone else here struggle with it in the beginning and learn how to master it? Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first semester OT student, and was wondering if anyone could give any insight on learning and mastering goal writing. Obviously, this is an essential skill to have as an OT, and I find I am struggling with it, which makes me very nervous. Did anyone else here struggle with it in the beginning and learn how to master it? Any tips?

This will likely sound like a disappointing response but I would say-- it just takes practice! Try working on writing up various types of goals and always make sure you have the necessary components. And of course be sure it is measurable. As much as you can, get feedback from professors, etc. I also found it helpful to practice writing goals on my Level I FW rotations and getting feedback from those supervisors since goal-writing is a little different everywhere you go. Hope that helps.

Hi OTgirl29! Have you checked out COAST goals or SMART goals these are two really helpful approaches. Here is a document that might help you. Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Attachments

• d98996e0c5b4d7a3a8b159362f060f44.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 99