Other OT-Related Information Interview Attire OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brib123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I wear only business attire to an interview or can I be a little more creative? I am a big fan of color and would like to wear colored dress under a blazer. I am worried that it is not professional enough, but I also want to avoid the classic and a little stuffy black suit idea... Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't really want your clothes to be what makes you stand out in the interview. I wore a blazer and slacks with a white button down under the blazer. I think going classic is your safest best, and you certainly won't be thought of negatively for choosing to be safe and dress conservatively. Some people could be really turned off if they are, for example, older and believe you have to come to an interview dressed classically conservative. If you don't like wearing pants you could wear a black skirt with pantyhose, but that's about as creative as I would get. Good luck!

I have to say. I am going through this now. I know people that dressed in full on suits and didn't get in. So I really don't think you need to go that far. I think business casual would be too slack. so in between. I am thinking about what the OTs I work with wear and then stepping it up. I know one thing is for sure. I want to be comfortable. TO me - over dressed is super uncomfortable. I am going shopping this weekend but I am keeping my options open. I was thinking: slacks. flats. either dressy shirt and a nice new sweater. OR. a dressy shirt in a blazer. I am not going to super suit it up. That would make me nervous. Do what makes your personality and you be at your best. You love bright colors... than wear bright colors. At the end of the day... well fit, put together, and wear those clothes instead of them wearing you- will be your best bet. I do have to add. I grew up on the west coast. We don't dress up here. people wear flip flops to church. My cousins on the east coast wear slacks to dinner. I think that is something to consider. Where you school is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I wear only business attire to an interview or can I be a little more creative? I am a big fan of color and would like to wear colored dress under a blazer. I am worried that it is not professional enough, but I also want to avoid the classic and a little stuffy black suit idea... Any thoughts?

I would go for the color! I think if people wear too much black, they look too serious. I wore a black knee length black dress, with a colorful shawl around my shoulders, and received so many compliments on the shawl.

I say go for the color! Don't go crazy, but a touch of color is better than the boring black. I've always heard it is good to stand out just a little because it will help them remember you. Go for color but keep it tasteful!

I know OT is a unique field, but I've always been taught to let your resume and character sell you, not your attire. I wouldn't take chances...go a little overboard rather than take a chance if you need to. Wear the tie for business casual. Wear the longer skirt or suit pants. Choose greys and muted solids like blues or white.

I asked the advice of a consultant at a local store for business attire. He said to imagine working in the most formal setting and build from there. You wouldn't see all-blacks, louder colors, or patterns in a hospital or SNF. Other than settings with scrubs, you would see muted solids like blues, softer yellows for accents, and greys with some whites as a foundation.

Like I said, when in doubt, I always overdress a little and leave nothing to chance. With success, you will only have to do this once, so don't take risks!