info on omfs programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtheman

You know you want it.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wonderin what omfs residency programs focus more on facial trauma and not your typical omfs cases ie: 3rd molars and such, I know that all programs teach all aspects of omfs but want to know the ones that emphasize facial cases.

any reply would be great

Members don't see this ad.

Whichever ones happend to have a facial trauma case any given day will be doing facial trauma that day. Sure, some programs have a heavier load of facial trauma than others. Also, there are those ugly rumors about hospitals that don't allow OMFS to work on the midface. I guess some programs may also be more aggresive with treatment of their midface trauma. Obviously, a lac is a lac and has to be closed, but fractures can be managed different ways.

Probably the heaviest volume will be programs at a level one trauma center.

mtheman said:
just wonderin what omfs residency programs focus more on facial trauma and not your typical omfs cases ie: 3rd molars and such, I know that all programs teach all aspects of omfs but want to know the ones that emphasize facial cases.

any reply would be great

I'm at LSU-New Orleans...and we get plenty of trauma. Everything from mandibles to mid-face to big-crunches. We do enough trauma that we operate on most of our trauma cases at night to free up our afternoon schedule for elective cases.