I'am I wasting my time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anamod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'am a pre-dental student at a small state school in Minnesota and would like to have any input possible about my chances.I currently have a 3.2 gpa overall and have yet to figure my science but i estimate it to be about a 3.45. I have worked on a dementia wing of a nursing home as a CNA for 2 years. Shadowed a couple of dentists in different specialties (general practice and endodonist). I recently applied to a dental lab which makes crowns and bridges and will more then likely began work there soon. I have volunteered in both school and the community (Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity etc..)I'am also the proud father of a 2 year old girl. Does having a child at a young age (23) look bad in the eyes of the selection committees. I know that doing well on the dat will help my chances a great deal I have taken a practice test and scored 18,21percp. Any input would be good input thank you very much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I almost forgot i also have done reseach on embrylogiacal effects of retinoic acids on frogs.

I know nothing about dental school, but as a med student, I can tell you that with your experience/grades, paired with a good MCAT score (at least 30), you'd have a really good chance at med school acceptance. I don't know if that helps you, but good luck anyhow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your overall GPA is on the lower side, but it's not super low. With all the other things going for you, I don't think it would hamper your chances of getting into many of the dental schools (depending on which school). Many schools had an average GPA of about 3.3, so you're not too far from that.
smile.gif

Do well on your DAT (19 or greater) and apply to 5-7 schools and you should have a good chance of getting in somewhere.