I sent in all my med school apps, but now I'm opening up to MD/PhD.. now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently chose to apply to DO schools and have already completed all my applications. The thing is, I started doing cell/molec research last year just to do it, without thinking I would ever do research post-undergad. However, after one year of research, I realized that I really enjoy it and I'm seriously considering going the MD/PhD route. Since I was never really interested in research in the beginning, I havent really been taking my own projects or have had a real leadership role in my lab. Now that I am about to graduate this spring, I feel that I missed my chances of exploring my research opportunities that I would have taken advantage of I had known I would consider it as a career. I applied to medical schools with a low MCAT so I doubt I will get in anyways so I plan on beasting the MCAT to qualify for an MD/PhD program. But what can I do with my research background to prove my new passion?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone..
Also, would it be a smart idea to maybe take a year or two off after I graduate to improve my research background and to retake my classes and prepare for my MCAT? What are my options?

If you do get into a DO school, you could apply internally to the DO/PhD program at your school (assuming there is one). Or you could take time off during medical school to pursue an MS or PhD. I don't know a lot about these pathways, but you could save yourself a lot of time this way.

If you don't get into a DO school, retake the MCAT and take time off to pursue research full-time. One year of research part-time is probably not enough experience to really decide if you want to spend the rest of your life devoted to research.

That's my two cents anyways. Hopefully someone with more experience can jump in here and advise you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. I am looking to get fully funded but will going ahead to med school then applying for the PhD or taking time off to take it allow me to get funded?

You can matriculate as an MD and then try to get into MD/PhD after your first or second year, but usually you'll still owe tuition for those first years. Also, you're applying against the whole regular pool of MD/PhD applicants, so you typically don't have a better chance of getting accepted than you do now; so, if the money aspect is important to you, this is a pretty risky bet.

Taking time off to do your PhD won't pay for med school, though you ought to be funded for the PhD (as usual). Personally, I wouldn't do this, because an unintegrated PhD will take longer, which will sting even more since it's not paying for med school; you won't have the specific MD/PhD mentorship and peers you'd get in a combined program; and you may have a harder time personally integrating your research and clinical interests, whereas in many combined programs, they help you maintain your connections to both fields at once. Obviously, your mileage will vary on any or all of these points depending on where you go and who you end up meeting.

I strongly suggest that if you don't get in this time, do take time off to solidify your interests. Taking time off - to do research, take classes if you can (to bring up your GPA, if needed), really study for the MCAT to raise that score, and gain some working experience and maturity - also makes you a better applicant, if you aren't as strong as you'd like to be now.

You can matriculate as an MD and then try to get into MD/PhD after your first or second year, but usually you'll still owe tuition for those first years. Also, you're applying against the whole regular pool of MD/PhD applicants, so you typically don't have a better chance of getting accepted than you do now; so, if the money aspect is important to you, this is a pretty risky bet.

Taking time off to do your PhD won't pay for med school, though you ought to be funded for the PhD (as usual). Personally, I wouldn't do this, because an unintegrated PhD will take longer, which will sting even more since it's not paying for med school; you won't have the specific MD/PhD mentorship and peers you'd get in a combined program; and you may have a harder time personally integrating your research and clinical interests, whereas in many combined programs, they help you maintain your connections to both fields at once. Obviously, your mileage will vary on any or all of these points depending on where you go and who you end up meeting.

I strongly suggest that if you don't get in this time, do take time off to solidify your interests. Taking time off - to do research, take classes if you can (to bring up your GPA, if needed), really study for the MCAT to raise that score, and gain some working experience and maturity - also makes you a better applicant, if you aren't as strong as you'd like to be now.

I was thinking about applying to a post-bac research program like John Hopkin's PREP program. Will this be worth the extra year before applying to MD/PhD? My gpa is a 3.6 but my previous MCAT (21N) is what I think will hold me back.

I was thinking about applying to a post-bac research program like John Hopkin's PREP program. Will this be worth the extra year before applying to MD/PhD? My gpa is a 3.6 but my previous MCAT (21N) is what I think will hold me back.

Not being familiar with that program, I looked up some information on it, and I think it or something like it sounds like a great experience. Stop worrying about something being "worth the extra year" - life is longer than you think; there's no rush here (unless you have some specific personal concerns). More and more applicants are taking time off after undergrad before beginning grad training, and more and more it's being recognized as a good way to gain perspective and maturity. It's a waste of your time and money to apply before you're the strongest candidate you can be, especially to MD/PhD programs, which really require you to stand out. Taking a year (or more!) to explore your interests, improve upon your weaknesses, and maybe take up an awesome hobby are some of the best ways to help yourself do that.

MSU COM offers a DO Phd program. They have a pretty large option for Phd's. The DO program there does put a very large emphasis on volunteering and community leadership though. I had the grades and way higher MCAT than needed to get in and their admissions officer told me that I was better off volunteering for a year bc their computer system (which they use for admissions) wouldn’t pick me out of the crowd. They also select their class very early. My buddy with tons of extra curricular work a 32 MCAT 3.5 GPA and head of a couple different pre med societies and what not just now got in after other people chose other schools. So idk if your gonna meet their criteria. But it is an option if your MCAT is low bc that is not very important in their admissions criteria.

3.6 GPA is not bad. MCAT is terrible. You know that. What is holding you back? Unless there are special circumstances, there's nothing that ~$1000 and a couple months shouldn't be able to fix before the retake.

A year of additional research is not a bad idea. Try to find a full time position in a lab somewhere. Yes, this is easier said than done, but with flexibility you should be able to find a low paying position as a lab rat somewhere.

Also, let's talk about finances in this thread because I think they're sorely missing. I would recommend not doing any year out programs that charge you to attend (i.e. any...). With a 3.6 you don't need to put yourself in debt before you even begin medical school. You don't need to boost your GPA, and the benefits of such an attempt would be hard gained in such a program and minimally useful anyway.

I would also recommend trying to attend a fully-funded combined degree program given the high cost of medical school/living expenses and the extended training required to become a mostly research physician. This is your goal right? A mostly research career? As far as I'm aware no DO/PhD program is offering full funding, which I define as no tuition charges and a cost of living stipend through all years of the combined degree program. This is the real, objective, benefit of an MD/PhD program, of which most are fully funded.

I think with a year or two out working productively full-time in a lab and serious preparation and MCAT retake you will have an excellent chance at MD/PhD barring any unforeseen issues that haven't been discussed in this thread.