I need your honest opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everybody:
I really need your honest true opinion (even if it is bad). Right now I am a senior undergraduate at a very prestigious university. I am planning on taking a year off and either serving in Americorps, working as a medical assistant, or working for a public health related NGO during my "year off." I started college a semester later than usual freshman and I went abroad my junior year. As a result, I have taken some classes during the summer vacations at state school (not the school I am graduating from). The reason why I took some summer classes at another school is because I couldn't afford to take the classes at the private, more prestigious school that I go to.

I am extremely involved in many extracurriculars, have published a paper, studied abroad, have clinical and bench research experience, have shadowed two podiatrists, have great LORs, and again, I will gain more experience during my glide year. So, with that all being said, here are my stats:

CUM GPA: ~3.3
BCPM:~3.1-3.2
Precalc: A-
Precalc trig: A
Statistics: B+
Calculus: A+
Biostatistics and Epidemiology: B+
Oceanography: B
Gen Chem 1: B
Gen Chem 1 Lab (took twice): C/B-
Gen Chem 2 (took twice): C-/A
Gen Chem 2 lab: A
Bio 1: C
Bio 1 Lab: C+
Bio 2: D
Bio 2 lab: C
Physics 1: B+
Physics 1 lab: B+

I am currently retaking bio 2, and I am taking physics 2 and physics 2 lab. This summer I am going to take oro 1 and 2 plus labs. I will also take the mcat in august. So after all this my questions are:
1) even though my goal is to get an A in bio 2, are the chances of acceptance to podiatry school still decent if I get a B?
2)what mcat score should I realistically aim for?
3)what orgo grades should I aim for?

I am just curious because I have heard of people who have 2.95 GPAs and 18 on their mcat and still get into school. But other people have told me that my chances are not so great. So what should I be realistically be hoping for?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't you already post this?

Your D probably won't count as passing in most schools so you would have to retake that. If you could use your year off to study for the MCAT and get over a 20, it would help a lot!

Good luck!

no i haven't posted this before. like i said, i am currently retaking bio 2. but are my chances slim or okay or good?

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything sounds good as far as your experience but you most definitely have to retake anything you made a D in. I would shoot for at least a B in both Orgo's and definitely make 20+ on the MCAT. You still have a long road ahead of you so don't look past Orgo for a second because that was the toughest two classes and labs I have ever taken. Focus on getting good grades in there then worry about making 20+ on the MCAT. After all that is said and done you should be hearing back for some interviews!

I would quit worrying about the what if's and buckle down and show the schools that you want to be there, quit shooting for a minimum and start proving yourself

hey everybody:
I really need your honest true opinion (even if it is bad). Right now I am a senior undergraduate at a very prestigious university. I am planning on taking a year off and either serving in Americorps, working as a medical assistant, or working for a public health related NGO during my "year off." I started college a semester later than usual freshman and I went abroad my junior year. As a result, I have taken some classes during the summer vacations at state school (not the school I am graduating from). The reason why I took some summer classes at another school is because I couldn't afford to take the classes at the private, more prestigious school that I go to.

I am extremely involved in many extracurriculars, have published a paper, studied abroad, have clinical and bench research experience, have shadowed two podiatrists, have great LORs, and again, I will gain more experience during my glide year. So, with that all being said, here are my stats:

CUM GPA: ~3.3
BCPM:~3.1-3.2
Precalc: A-
Precalc trig: A
Statistics: B+
Calculus: A+
Biostatistics and Epidemiology: B+
Oceanography: B
Gen Chem 1: B
Gen Chem 1 Lab (took twice): C/B-
Gen Chem 2 (took twice): C-/A
Gen Chem 2 lab: A
Bio 1: C
Bio 1 Lab: C+
Bio 2: D
Bio 2 lab: C
Physics 1: B+
Physics 1 lab: B+

I am currently retaking bio 2, and I am taking physics 2 and physics 2 lab. This summer I am going to take oro 1 and 2 plus labs. I will also take the mcat in august. So after all this my questions are:
1) even though my goal is to get an A in bio 2, are the chances of acceptance to podiatry school still decent if I get a B?
2)what mcat score should I realistically aim for?
3)what orgo grades should I aim for?

I am just curious because I have heard of people who have 2.95 GPAs and 18 on their mcat and still get into school. But other people have told me that my chances are not so great. So what should I be realistically be hoping for?

I noticed that in almost ALL of your posts in MD, DO, and DPM forums, you start off "[...]undergraduate at a very prestigious university[...]"

If your using that as a means to explain poor grades, it's faulty. Just because your school might be well known, or the courses tough, doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to perform well.

There a lot of posters who graduated with high marks from high ranking undergraduate programs. Don't use that as a crutch. Buckle down and get better grades.

alright...i hear you...but here's the thing. I used to want to go to either MD or DO schools. For about a year now I have been determined to pursue podiatry. However none of the academic advisors at my school know anything about podiatry. Therefore, when I post questions seeking advice, I try to give you guys as much info as possible so that you can maybe try to give me a somewhat accurate reply/opinion whether it be good or bad. I dont know if my school's name actually makes a difference or not, but some podiatry school's admissions committees have inferred that it does make a difference. My personal statement mentions why I did poorly my sophomore year and since then, I have been on the Dean's List.

The point is, I am a hard worker, good student and I have a sincere passion for podiatry. I learn from my past experiences and I am constantly growing as a student and person. I feel that because of all this, in addition (yes) to the fact that I go to a very difficult and famous school, my chances of acceptance to at least a couple of podiatry schools is okay. However, I am seeking everybody's advice because I know that you all have or are going through the same processes. If you want to give me your advice, I would love to hear it, otherwise, don't say anything at all.

If you don't mind me asking, what school did/do you attend that you're talking about?

alright...i hear you...but here's the thing. I used to want to go to either MD or DO schools. For about a year now I have been determined to pursue podiatry. However none of the academic advisors at my school know anything about podiatry. Therefore, when I post questions seeking advice, I try to give you guys as much info as possible so that you can maybe try to give me a somewhat accurate reply/opinion whether it be good or bad. I dont know if my school's name actually makes a difference or not, but some podiatry school's admissions committees have inferred that it does make a difference. My personal statement mentions why I did poorly my sophomore year and since then, I have been on the Dean's List.

The point is, I am a hard worker, good student and I have a sincere passion for podiatry. I learn from my past experiences and I am constantly growing as a student and person. I feel that because of all this, in addition (yes) to the fact that I go to a very difficult and famous school, my chances of acceptance to at least a couple of podiatry schools is okay. However, I am seeking everybody's advice because I know that you all have or are going through the same processes. If you want to give me your advice, I would love to hear it, otherwise, don't say anything at all.

michk,

I've read your personal statement and we've emailed on it. I didn't say what I did to discourage you. I know what kind of student you are from your personal statement.

Additionally, I didn't mean to infer that your using podiatry as a backup. I know that I came from the same background.

It's just that is seems like you use that like to talk YOURSELF into the mindset that your an awesome applicant. It's not the school that makes you a good applicant. I'm sure that there are a lot of competitive applicants from the University of Podunksville. :)