I don't want to be that guy... Chance me thread.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pcsaints6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a nontraditional graduate, with a B.S. in Biology, B.S. Secondary Education-Biology, and A.S. Chemistry. I will be 25 next month and I just completed the DAT on June 1st and received mixed results. Biology- 20, G-Chem- 22, O-Chem -18, PAT- 18, QR- 17, RC- 17, TS- 20, AA- 19. My Cgpa- 3.53 Sgpa between 3.2-3.3. I was a 5 year collegiate athlete, I have over 150 hours of volunteer experience and close to 100 shadowing hours. I will have strong letters of recommendation and I am currently working on my personal statement. I am looking to submit my application the first week of July. Will I have a chance for this upcoming cycle? And is there any thing else I should be working on at this point?

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am a nontraditional graduate, with a B.S. in Biology, B.S. Secondary Education-Biology, and A.S. Chemistry. I will be 25 next month and I just completed the DAT on June 1st and received mixed results. Biology- 20, G-Chem- 22, O-Chem -18, PAT- 18, QR- 17, RC- 17, TS- 20, AA- 19. My Cgpa- 3.53 Sgpa between 3.2-3.3. I was a 5 year collegiate athlete, I have over 150 hours of volunteer experience and close to 100 shadowing hours. I will have strong letters of recommendation and I am currently working on my personal statement. I am looking to submit my application the first week of July. Will I have a chance for this upcoming cycle? And is there any thing else I should be working on at this point?

Thank you for your time!
You have a chance but apply broadly. The sgpa and dat aren't helping you but your extracurriculars are decent. I'm sure if you apply to 7-10 schools you'll get in somewhere.

You have a chance but apply broadly. The sgpa and dat aren't helping you but your extracurriculars are decent. I'm sure if you apply to 7-10 schools you'll get in somewhere.

Thank you Medin2017 for replying so quickly I am planning to apply to at least 15 schools with my stats being on the low end. I will be looking to add additional shadowing hours to my application over the course of the next month. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Medin2017 for replying so quickly I am planning to apply to at least 15 schools with my stats being on the low end. I will be looking to add additional shadowing hours to my application over the course of the next month. Thank you!
No problem. At this point you can't do anything major like retake the dat or take classes so shadowing and continued volunteering is probably your best bet, even up to the interviews. That way they see consistency when they inevitably ask what you were doing and plan to do before and after the interview period.

No problem. At this point you can't do anything major like retake the dat or take classes so shadowing and continued volunteering is probably your best bet, even up to the interviews. That way they see consistency when they inevitably ask what you were doing and plan to do before and after the interview period.

Excellent, I will continue to do that all the way up to and post interview. Thanks again for your time.

To OP:

This isn't great advice. Having decent extracurriculars do not offset GPA/DAT at all unless you have something exceptional like you are an olympic athlete.

GPA/DAT is 60-80% of the reason why you will get accepted. Your volunteer hours and shadowing hours are average (every competitive applicant has this). Your best bet is to make sure you have as much face time with the admissions staff at the dental school. Obviously this isn't possible if the school is out of state but if you are applying to a dental school thats relatively close by, this is really the best way to go after you completed and submitted your application.

I personally know numerous people who had below average GPA/DAT that consistently contacted the admissions staff (ranging from front desk, to interviewers, to dean) and they were able to get in. And for comparison, there were people who had very similar stats that did not and they did not take the initiative to do so.

To OP:

This isn't great advice. Having decent extracurriculars do not offset GPA/DAT at all unless you have something exceptional like you are an olympic athlete.

GPA/DAT is 60-80% of the reason why you will get accepted. Your volunteer hours and shadowing hours are average (every competitive applicant has this). Your best bet is to make sure you have as much face time with the admissions staff at the dental school. Obviously this isn't possible if the school is out of state but if you are applying to a dental school thats relatively close by, this is really the best way to go after you completed and submitted your application.

I personally know numerous people who had below average GPA/DAT that consistently contacted the admissions staff (ranging from front desk, to interviewers, to dean) and they were able to get in. And for comparison, there were people who had very similar stats that did not and they did not take the initiative to do so.
Isn't the average cumulative GPA of dental schools like 3.6? They're probably bottom 30% of accepted students but with better ecs

Isn't the average cumulative GPA of dental schools like 3.6? They're probably bottom 30% of accepted students but with better ecs

you're right. I misread the GPA. To OP - your GPA is good, hopefully your lower DAT doesn't hurt you too much.

applegrape1 thank you for your reply. I know that I am on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of my stats and I am willing to do whatever it takes to give myself the best opportunity. I am far from an Olympic athlete by all means and I don't expect any EC's to offset my stats I just wanted to put them all out there. I think you have brought up a great point and that is something I will work on as the application cycle begins. Thanks again!