WAMC: Did I Ruin My Chance or Did I Have One to Begin With?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-dent06

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to attend dental school but I think I just ruined any potential to get in this cycle by retaking my DAT. I wanted to up my GC score, but not only did that stay the same, but my other scores got worse. I’ve supported my entire dental school journey by working several jobs and was aiming to get in but I think I’ll have to retake AND apply next cycle.

I want honest opinions about my chances and if I don’t have one, what are some alternatives to boost my current or next application? I don’t want to idly wait and I want to be proactive but I feel absolutely depleted and disappointed with myself.

Date of submission: 07/27
Overall GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.37
(Although low, last two semesters was on an upward trend will all As but one class)

DAT score (include AA and all sections):
DAT #1:
  • PAT: 21
  • QR: 22
  • RC: 22
  • BIO: 18
  • GC: 16
  • OC: 21
  • TS: 18
  • AA: 20
DAT#2:
  • PAT: 19
  • QR: 18
  • RC: 19
  • BIO: 19
  • OC: 16
  • TS: 17
  • AA: 18

State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended: UNC Chapel Hill
Major: Biology B.S.
Minor: Asian Studies
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~1000+ at various clinics
-General
-Pediatric & Orthodontics
-Periodontics
-Endodontics
-Hospital dental clinic
-Oral surgery internship
Volunteering Experience: ~300+
-Non-profit dental clinics
-Community food pantry
-Cultural event volunteering
-Knitting club donations
Employment: Several types
-Most notable: employed at UNC dental school
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars:
-Cultural Club VP
-Knitting Club Secretary
Relevant Honors or Awards:
-Honors Laureate
-Dean’s List for 3 semesters
LOR type and strength: 2 are written from honors biology professors, 2 written from faculty members at UNC CH Dental School
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I took time off to apply after graduating from undergrad because of a variety of different reasons: mother suddenly passing, financial security and preparation for dental school, building relationships by shadowing and working, working for my family to help support the family business, compiling all the information for my application, etc.

School list:
(I’m aware I don’t have many options, but I really want to stay in-state for the sake of saving money AND at the current time I can’t afford to apply too broadly. I also don’t want to spend on schools if my statistics really bring me down. I’m truly lost and conflicted)

-UNC-CH
-ECU
-VCU
-NOVA
-NYU
-UCSF

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UCSF would be the largest reach and not sure it would be worth spending money to apply unless absolutely certain you’d accept their offer. I’d swap with something closer, hate to say it but Lincoln Memorial might be worth adding instead. New school, initial accreditation but may be worth if you don’t want to spend another year applying. You’ll have to weight the pros/cons of spending more money to retake DAT and apply next cycle. But they’d be more likely to be forgiving of your DAT scores and below average GPA.

The lower DAT score sucks, and I’m sorry you didn’t improve. I can see why you wanted a retake but getting lower scores In literally everything isn’t a great sign. You’ll need to see if schools you’re applying to take average of the 2 scores, take best score (least likely) or if they take most recent score (which would hurt you the most - most likely option of schools). Very few take best score if you have multiple attempts (unsure if any do actually, maybe newer/expensive schools with low stats) and I’ve only read a few schools that average. But it would never hurt to confirm with admissions.

Also if you haven’t applied already it might be harder since with a lower DAT score you’d want to apply as early as possible. So if you’re about to apply, nows the time to submit your applications.

People still get in with low DAT scores, it’s just the fact you retook and did worse that most likely hurts you the most. I don’t think it’s necessarily a death sentence but could be a strike against you. With that being said you never really know until you apply, so I’d this is something you’ve been anticipating doing then I’d rip the bandaid and just submit and see how it goes unless you’d want to hold out and wait for next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
UCSF would be the largest reach and not sure it would be worth spending money to apply unless absolutely certain you’d accept their offer. I’d swap with something closer, hate to say it but Lincoln Memorial might be worth adding instead. New school, initial accreditation but may be worth if you don’t want to spend another year applying. You’ll have to weight the pros/cons of spending more money to retake DAT and apply next cycle. But they’d be more likely to be forgiving of your DAT scores and below average GPA.

The lower DAT score sucks, and I’m sorry you didn’t improve. I can see why you wanted a retake but getting lower scores In literally everything isn’t a great sign. You’ll need to see if schools you’re applying to take average of the 2 scores, take best score (least likely) or if they take most recent score (which would hurt you the most - most likely option of schools). Very few take best score if you have multiple attempts (unsure if any do actually, maybe newer/expensive schools with low stats) and I’ve only read a few schools that average. But it would never hurt to confirm with admissions.

Also if you haven’t applied already it might be harder since with a lower DAT score you’d want to apply as early as possible. So if you’re about to apply, nows the time to submit your applications.

People still get in with low DAT scores, it’s just the fact you retook and did worse that most likely hurts you the most. I don’t think it’s necessarily a death sentence but could be a strike against you. With that being said you never really know until you apply, so I’d this is something you’ve been anticipating doing then I’d rip the bandaid and just submit and see how it goes unless you’d want to hold out and wait for next cycle.
Thank you so much for the response. I've already submitted my application and now I'm just in the waiting game. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I'm still volunteering, shadowing, working, etc. but I want to do so much more. Are there advising resources available that you know of?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your connections with the DS can help, but you probably will need to wait for an II for a spring interview, maybe a late fall. Keep your DS faculty in the loop, and listen to them about what you should do next.

I really hesitate to mention HPU, but it will be an option that many of us are wary about.

How much networking have you done with other dental schools? Many will be wary if you have such strong links with UNC, but it's not a guarantee. I'm hopeful ECU could invite you as long as you fit their mission for rural health.

Suggestions: add privates
Temple
CWRU
UDM
Tufts
BU

Your connections with the DS can help, but you probably will need to wait for an II for a spring interview, maybe a late fall. Keep your DS faculty in the loop, and listen to them about what you should do next.

I really hesitate to mention HPU, but it will be an option that many of us are wary about.

How much networking have you done with other dental schools? Many will be wary if you have such strong links with UNC, but it's not a guarantee. I'm hopeful ECU could invite you as long as you fit their mission for rural health.

Suggestions: add privates
Temple
CWRU
UDM
Tufts
BU
I've networked with ECU by going to one of their rural clinics for a meeting with pre-dental students, current dental students, and faculty. I grew up in a rural area and also have a mission make dentistry more accessible, so I've also heavily considered ECU. My work schedule, volunteering, shadowing, and studying for the DAT didn't leave much room for me to network with too many other schools. Most of my networking for UNC and ECU were two-birds with one stone kind of deals where I work and network or volunteer and network. This is also how I plan on mentioning it to other schools. While most of my volunteerism and networking is with my in-state schools, I did them based on accessibility to me and utilizing my resources to the best of my abilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’ve always wanted to attend dental school but I think I just ruined any potential to get in this cycle by retaking my DAT. I wanted to up my GC score, but not only did that stay the same, but my other scores got worse. I’ve supported my entire dental school journey by working several jobs and was aiming to get in but I think I’ll have to retake AND apply next cycle.

I want honest opinions about my chances and if I don’t have one, what are some alternatives to boost my current or next application? I don’t want to idly wait and I want to be proactive but I feel absolutely depleted and disappointed with myself.

Date of submission: 07/27
Overall GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.37
(Although low, last two semesters was on an upward trend will all As but one class)

DAT score (include AA and all sections):
DAT #1:
  • PAT: 21
  • QR: 22
  • RC: 22
  • BIO: 18
  • OC: 21
  • TS: 18
  • AA: 20
DAT#2:
  • PAT: 19
  • QR: 18
  • RC: 19
  • BIO: 19
  • OC: 16
  • TS: 17
  • AA: 18

State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended: UNC Chapel Hill
Major: Biology B.S.
Minor: Asian Studies
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~1000+ at various clinics
-General
-Pediatric & Orthodontics
-Periodontics
-Endodontics
-Hospital dental clinic
-Oral surgery internship
Volunteering Experience: ~300+
-Non-profit dental clinics
-Community food pantry
-Cultural event volunteering
-Knitting club donations
Employment: Several types
-Most notable: employed at UNC dental school
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars:
-Cultural Club VP
-Knitting Club Secretary
Relevant Honors or Awards:
-Honors Laureate
-Dean’s List for 3 semesters
LOR type and strength: 2 are written from honors biology professors, 2 written from faculty members at UNC CH Dental School
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I took time off to apply after graduating from undergrad because of a variety of different reasons: mother suddenly passing, financial security and preparation for dental school, building relationships by shadowing and working, working for my family to help support the family business, compiling all the information for my application, etc.

School list:
(I’m aware I don’t have many options, but I really want to stay in-state for the sake of saving money AND at the current time I can’t afford to apply too broadly. I also don’t want to spend on schools if my statistics really bring me down. I’m truly lost and conflicted)

-UNC-CH
-ECU
-VCU
-NOVA
-NYU
-UCSF