I applied Early Decision and had my interview in august, need some thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nab20201

Reaction score
Hello,

I applied Early Decision to a medical in the same state I was born, raised and went to college in. My GPA and MCAT are slightly below average based on the medical school, but 3 of my 4 letter writers are faculty members at the medical school, one of which is a department chair, and I have a lot of leadership experiences (I am a teaching assistant for gen chem and bio chem and am the president of 4 organizations at my undergrad institution, one of which I founded prior to applying) and lots of volunteer experience ( over 300 hours of clinical and non clinical) and shadowing hours (50 hours, 30 of which are physicians). I also had an internship there for 2 years in their undergrad research program + several meetings with faculty/program directors.

I just wanted to see what your thoughts are on my likelihood of getting into this medical school, considering my subpar MCAT and GPA (505 AND 3.45, respectively). I am just nervous about the outcome and wanted some thoughts from people who may have already been through medical school or who are on medical school admissions, not that their thoughts would reflect the actual application process of this medical school.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is the point of asking a bunch of strangers who know nothing about what this school is looking for and know nothing about the rest of your application? Nothing can be changed now, and aren't early decisions supposed to have come out by now?

EDP doesn't come out till beginning of next month

Members don't see this ad :)
Well since you said it’s not too late for ED applications and you have several contacts at the school, have you spent time talking to the Dean to see exactly how competitive you are for ED at that school?

Well okay I guess on the time thing but did you talk to the dean about your competitiveness at that school for ED? That’s always wise to do before you jump into the ED process!

Well since you said it’s not too late for ED applications and you have several contacts at the school, have you spent time talking to the Dean to see exactly how competitive you are for ED at that school?
That is a good point. I did not, unfortunately.