Low stats applying early decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bur_covery

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm considering applying to the Jacobs School of Medicine at UB and would love to hear more opinions.

I lived in Buffalo for the first two years of high school, and my dad went to UB Law School in his 40s as an immigrant. I volunteered in a therapeutic horseback riding program (300hrs) and as a front desk person in a local hospital (200hrs), but both were back in high school. My family moved away for my dad's job, and I haven't returned since. My GPA is in the 10th percentile, and my MCAT is in the 25th percentile of accepted applicants.

1. Undergrad cGPA: 3.40 (two significant family deaths impacted my GPA, will explain in app)
  2. MCAT score(s): 507 (124, 128, 125, 130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship: NY
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: T30
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    • EMT certificate: ~80 hours
    • Paid Medical Assistant: 2000 hours
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • Undergrad research: no publication: 400 hours
    • Gap year job: 1 pub, will have at least three more ~ 3800 hours (ongoing)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • neurology: 50 hours
    • Oncology: 50 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
    • English tutor: 300 hours
    • Food bank distributor: 50 hours
  10. Leadership/other jobs
    • Resident Assistant: 1600 hours
    • Freshman mentor: 320 hours
    • College app mentor: 500 hours

Members don't see this ad.

You should look at the average MCAT and GPA for this school as this is criteria they initially use for acceptances. It used to be you hurt your chances of getting in if you don't get in early decision since it delayed your application for regular decision. You should look into DO schools as you are definilty competetive for that.

Reactions: 1 user
You should look at the average MCAT and GPA for this school as this is criteria they initially use for acceptances. It used to be you hurt your chances of getting in if you don't get in early decision since it delayed your application for regular decision. You should look into DO schools as you are definilty competetive for that.
I have also heard that using the average MCAT and GPA as a guide is a good idea. However, I met with an admission consultant/advisor earlier and was told that, given my circumstances, the only chance at an MD is to apply early decision at UB. I was kind of shocked since I was under the assumption that you should only apply ED if you are already strong stats wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also heard that using the average MCAT and GPA as a guide is a good idea. However, I met with an admission consultant/advisor earlier and was told that, given my circumstances, the only chance at an MD is to apply early decision at UB. I was kind of shocked since I was under the assumption that you should only apply ED if you are already strong stats wise.
I believe you may have heard wrong.

Have you sat down/communicated with anyone in their admissions office? Many ED programs make that a prerequisite to actually applying. Do that first, though I suspect they will tell you it's not a good idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are not competitive for Buffalo or any other MD schools for Early Decision.
Apply broadly to MD and DO schools and I suggest these:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Belmont
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
For DO schools consider these:
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
UNECOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CUSOM
UIWSOM

I believe you may have heard wrong.

Have you sat down/communicated with anyone in their admissions office? Many ED programs make that a prerequisite to actually applying. Do that first, though I suspect they will tell you it's not a good idea.
I should clarify: the person who recommended that I apply to ED was from one of those admission services/consulting companies, not directly from any med school. I was unsure of this advice because, from the research I did prior, it is not a good idea!

They gave solid feedback on my personal statement and work/activities section, so I wanted to post here to see if the advice on ED is some novel innovation that I didn't know about

I should clarify: the person who recommended that I apply to ED was from one of those admission services/consulting companies, not directly from any med school. I was unsure of this advice because, from the research I did prior, it is not a good idea!

They gave solid feedback on my personal statement and work/activities section, so I wanted to post here to see if the advice on ED is some novel innovation that I didn't know about
Ask the medical school. You must read