How to talk a professor into giving you extra credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SterlingMaloryArcher

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never tried to "cut a deal" with a teacher before but it seems like this a skill people how make all A's seem to have (as well as staying on top of work)

I have done generally pretty well in the class thus far but I am sure I BOMBED my midterm. I thought I was truly prepared but that took me by surprise. I am REALLY concerned about my grade and would rather not take a W.

He is really hard about deadlines with everyone so I'm not sure if he's a good candidate for successful fast-talking an Extra Credit opportunity....

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry dude but it's probably not going to happen. As long as you pass, learn from your mistakes and pick yourself up. Go talk to your professor about doing better should you do mediocre, but ofc you haven't even seen your grade yet!

Reactions: 3 users
One time I cried in my orgo professors office after getting a test returned, she gave me back a single point. Brought my 58 all the way up to a 59!

In all seriousness I think it can be valuable to approach a professor after a bombed test, but not with the explicit goal of getting extra credit. I don't think there is any use bringing it up until you have an actual score, but then depending on how much left there is of the class they can often help you figure out whats going wrong and correct your course. If they are so inclined they might offer you ways to earn a few points back, but really pulling back from a bombed test usually requires more work than that. It's also definitely possible to get As without grade grubbing.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not happening, so don't be that student

Reactions: 7 users
Agree with above - don't meet with your professor to ask for extra credit. Talk to them about where you stand in the class, learn why you are getting the poor grades, and show them that you are trying to make an effort to do better the next time around. For some professors, they may appreciate you working hard and cut a wee bit of slack at the end of the semester. Other professors just won't care. None will give you an extra credit assignment.

Reactions: 1 user
If you think your final grade in the class will be below a C, take the W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some context:
  • It's at community college, if that makes a difference (probably used to so much apathy around him that he might not find my concern as annoying?)
  • It's an online math class, and the midterm was the first exam that was actually written, taken in the testing center, and hand graded by him, so yeah it really took me by surprise
  • I have done well so far on everything else, but I know I didn't do well on this because I didn't even have time to finish it. And its 24% of the course grade. OUCH!
  • I've never seen him (IRL, just in the videos) but I have emailed him a couple times

Look, you crapped the bed and messed up on a test. The only thing you can do is move on and ace the next one, and asking for extra credit when none is deserved is privileged and entitled. Why do you deserve extra credit? For not knowing the material very well? Just let it go.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh and I checked and his ratemyprofessor reviews say that he offers extra credit although his syllabus doesn't say anything about it

Look, you crapped the bed and messed up on a test. The only thing you can do is move on and ace the next one, and asking for extra credit when none is deserved is privileged and entitled. Why do you deserve extra credit? For not knowing the material very well? Just let it go.

I just feel like it's worth a shot. I mean asking for extra work has to be MUCH better than the students how straight ask for a grade bump at the end of the semester, now THAT is undeserved and even those occasionally get granted.

I see your line of thinking though, and if I was a prof, I might just feel the same way.

Just live with with that and focus on improving your future tests. A single or even a couple poor grades won't kill your GPA. The important thing is bringing it up and keeping it up in future courses as Goro has suggested in his grade replacement thread. And I say this as someone that has gotten a couple Cs.

Just live with with that and focus on improving your future tests. A single or even a couple poor grades won't kill your GPA. The important thing is bringing it up and keeping it up in future courses as Goro has suggested in his grade replacement thread. And I say this as someone that has gotten a couple Cs.

Thanks. I got a lot of D's in HS dual enrollment, so I'm no stranger to having to make up for bad college grades, but ever since graduating HS I've been on the up&up when it comes to grades, and making it even harder to swallow, this semester is really going to be the determinant to which 4-year I get into (the dual enrollment is my rough patch and there's really no more room for error, the way I see it.)

Praying for a curve.

Thanks. I got a lot of D's in HS dual enrollment, so I'm no stranger to having to make up for bad college grades, but ever since graduating HS I've been on the up&up when it comes to grades, and making it even harder to swallow, this semester is really going to be the determinant to which 4-year I get into (the dual enrollment is my rough patch and there's really no more room for error, the way I see it.)

Praying for a curve.
At a CC? Curve at a community college? They do that? Lol. Anyway, I think you should see where you went wrong, and go over your test with your professor.

Maybe with all your extra effort, he might help your grade a tad bit. I'm not sure though. I've had professors in 400+ lectures saying he/she would drop my lowest exam score, and this was for a BCPM class. So I mean if you know how to communicate like a human being you should get some where.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't hurt to try as long as you're polite about it. The only time you shouldn't do it is if you want to get a letter of recommendation from the professor

um idk what school you go to but at my ugrad not a single student could "cut a deal" with a professor for a higher grade...

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with above - don't meet with your professor to ask for extra credit. Talk to them about where you stand in the class, learn why you are getting the poor grades, and show them that you are trying to make an effort to do better the next time around. For some professors, they may appreciate you working hard and cut a wee bit of slack at the end of the semester. Other professors just won't care. None will give you an extra credit assignment.

+1.

Most of my professors will bump your overall if you're working hard/showing up every day/coming to them after tests to see where you went wrong. Maybe just show them how serious you are & they'll mark you up a bit, knowing that you've done the work they expect.

"hey can I get some extra credit"

I've never tried to "cut a deal" with a teacher before but it seems like this a skill people how make all A's seem to have (as well as staying on top of work)

I have done generally pretty well in the class thus far but I am sure I BOMBED my midterm. I thought I was truly prepared but that took me by surprise. I am REALLY concerned about my grade and would rather not take a W.

He is really hard about deadlines with everyone so I'm not sure if he's a good candidate for successful fast-talking an Extra Credit opportunity....
Why should you get something you haven't earned? "Because I want to go to med school and need that A?"

Imagine how that will go over!

Reactions: 5 users
I imagine it doesn't hurt to ask, just don't push it if they say no. I never offered anything above and beyond what was already in the syllabus. The final grade was always the grade that was earned. I never ran adjustments based on extraneous factors. You earned what you gave me.

I agree with the above that it probably won't hurt you whatsoever to ask. He can only say no, worst case. If he does say no, you're back to square one and I'd recommend just making sure to crush the next exam(s). Overall I don't think it's a big deal at all.

Well, it brought my grade from a 94 to a 70. If I got a 90+ on everything from here on out I would get a B in the course. I've averaged a 90-100 on everything so far up to this exam. I guess I'll stay in the course...

Well, it brought my grade from a 94 to a 70. If I got a 90+ on everything from here on out I would get a B in the course. I've averaged a 90-100 on everything so far up to this exam. I guess I'll stay in the course...
Did you get those digits tho?

Just happened to me, bombed a midterm that is the single greatest part of my final grade (for some reason). Scheduled office hours to ask how I could do better and how to maximize points on everything else. He essentially told me not to worry about it until we actually get our grades back and then switched into acting as my unofficial advisor for planning classes until I graduate (for some reason). So I didn't get any help with my grade or the class, but he does think I have a shot at making honors, which is nice!

Win some, lose some, roll with the punches.

Reactions: 1 users
My professor in my quantum physics class asked if anyone wanted to try and prove Schrodinger's equation on the board in front of the rest of the class, and I jokingly asked if I could get extra credit if I successfully completed it, which I did.
She actually said yes and added extra credit points to my midterm. Never hurts to ask lol

But that is different because the opportunity was available to everyone.

You can't ask for extra credit just for yourself.

Sometimes professors provide extra credit opportunities such as: writing extra papers, few questions at the end of exam, extra work, extra assignments and so on. But all of these opportunities are available for everyone. You can't just ask for individual favors - it is college.
Technically yes, the extra credit would have been available to everyone, except that I asked for the extra credit when I was halfway through the proof, and the only chance that other students would have had the opportunity to get the points were if I failed.
When I finished the proof, no one else was allowed to try it and get points since it was already done. So technically I did ask for extra credit just for me.

I was just trying to say there's no harm in asking. Who knows, maybe other people asked already and if enough people ask he could decide to create an extra credit opportunity for everyone.

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile

If extra credit isn't on the syllabus - it is poor form to ask for some. You didn't earn it. Stop grubbing.

This isn't a school thing - this is a life thing.

I have a story. I'm maybe the most incompetent student when it comes to math. I loathe it, because there is no reasoning as to a purpose. It's usually "find x," which I never had the inclination to be all excited and peppy about a random skill not doing much. Anyway, story:

It was my sophomore year of college. Just became an RA, volunteer, tutor, and on top of that, calculus. I'm running over myself trying to do this class, taught by the most monotoned, english-man. Nobody was doing well. Mental health going into the gutter, and doing "eh" in the class, I needed to do something. So, I decided to P/F the class because I wasn't going to get an A. [Read: I was so spoiled by my ambitions that I couldn't be the best, so I faked it, and I faked it hard]. Well, tests come and go, mental health somewhat intact, and near the end, the teacher told the entire class a curve was on its way. He told me later that I got an "A" in the class. Or would have. But I got a "P" on my transcript because I couldn't deal with the thought of getting a B.

tl;dr main point: In my quest for being a perfect pre-med, other people's great accomplishments (<B's) became my failures (<B's). Yes, pre-meds need to hold themselves to a higher standard, but as for the pedestal we try and stand on, it serves us good to sometimes lower it. You're not perfect, so don't try to make yourself look perfect by faking your way to perfection.

It's a class, there will be more tests, and the grade you get reflects how the class went for you. A's are for people who nailed the course, you didn't nail the course so far, which is okay.

And for the love of all things holy, if anyone ever rejects a B or higher on principle that it's "not good enough for my version of perfection"...

:poke:

So your options are “beg professor for A” or “take W”.

Wow. That’s kinda pathetic.

Reactions: 2 users
So your options are “beg professor for A” or “take W”.

Wow. That’s kinda pathetic.

No, it's ask the professor for extra credit to have a better chance at securing a B or taking a W. SDNers love to critically exaggerate and have a bad attitude. But now I don't think I really need it.

I've only "cut a deal" with one Professor. It was my Physics I class and our entire class was suffering. Long story short, I sent him a heart-felt email before Christmas break asking for a B. He responded with " You better be glad I am in the Christmas spirit this morning. Congratulations, your 78 is now an 80." Loved that dude.

I've only "cut a deal" with one Professor. It was my Physics I class and our entire class was suffering. Long story short, I sent him a heart-felt email before Christmas break asking for a B. He responded with " You better be glad I am in the Christmas spirit this morning. Congratulations, your 78 is now an 80." Loved that dude.
That's completely normal.
My physics course had A- in 75%.

Oh and I checked and his ratemyprofessor reviews say that he offers extra credit although his syllabus doesn't say anything about it

If his syllabus didn't say anything about it now, my guess is that he used to give extra credit but doesn't anymore. In my experience, extra credit is almost always something the professor will mention on the syllabus.

I wouldn't ask. I think it would make you seem entitled and you would likely walk out with nothing more than an "If I did it for you, it wouldn't be fair to the other students".

One time I cried in my orgo professors office after getting a test returned, she gave me back a single point. Brought my 58 all the way up to a 59!

In all seriousness I think it can be valuable to approach a professor after a bombed test, but not with the explicit goal of getting extra credit. I don't think there is any use bringing it up until you have an actual score, but then depending on how much left there is of the class they can often help you figure out whats going wrong and correct your course. If they are so inclined they might offer you ways to earn a few points back, but really pulling back from a bombed test usually requires more work than that. It's also definitely possible to get As without grade grubbing.

This is currently me crying over getting a 58 on my orgo midterm that I died studying for. I have never done so badly on a test ever and my grade in the class is now a D. I still have 66% of the grades in the class left for me to bring up my grade, so I am going to basically have to get a 95 on everything to get a B-/B. If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up doing with the class? Did you withdraw it/ retake it? I need all the advising I can get right now, feeling super discouraged.

The title of this thread brings to mind a bumper sticker i've seen in the past. It reads: cash, grass, or A$$: Nobody rides for free. I think that answers your question/ /thread

When I taught university students, there was none of this "cut a deal" mumbo jumbo.

However, some professors do make exceptions for people who are borderline F/D- or needs a certain grade to simply pass the course.

All you can do is E-mail the professor or speak with him in person.

Borderline grades like having a 89.99% (B+) may be raised to a 90% (A-), depending on the professor.

Is your course a science course? If its a science course, good luck with persuading your professor to allow changed to your grade.

Good luck though, hope it works out one way or another!

This is currently me crying over getting a 58 on my orgo midterm that I died studying for. I have never done so badly on a test ever and my grade in the class is now a D. I still have 66% of the grades in the class left for me to bring up my grade, so I am going to basically have to get a 95 on everything to get a B-/B. If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up doing with the class? Did you withdraw it/ retake it? I need all the advising I can get right now, feeling super discouraged.

Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your midterm. This was orgo II, and I ended up scraping out a B-. I was actually pretty proud of that B-, since the way our professor graded the class was to set the class average as a B- and scale up/down from there. I did not withdraw (no way in hell was I doing orgo all over again, and like I said, proudest B- I've ever gotten). It was several years ago at this point so I don't really remember exactly what scores I got on the rest of my assignments, but I think my final percentage ended up being around an 84%. One of the big saviors of my grade was the lab component of the class - If you have a lab grade averaged into your course grade, that is something that is easy to focus on and do well in even if you're struggling with tests. Homework can also be really helpful, not only in padding your grade a bit but also in working through tough concepts, so don't half-ass that. 66% is a lot of grades left, and a lot of chances to pull your score back up. Otherwise: show up to class, talk to your professor (cry in their office if you need to), maybe seek help from friends/other resources. I will admit that I was stubborn and didn't utilize some of the tutoring resources that we had on campus, but I'll be a hypocrite now and encourage you to do so.

I also suggest looking outside the class itself and seeing if there is anything else in your life that contributed to the bad test. For me, that semester was really rough, for a number of reasons. I was overcommitted to activities, struggling with some anxiety/social issues, and taking upper div classes for the first time. All of that put me in a bad place and made it tougher to do well in the class. One of the big things I did after that semester was reassess my priorities, including quitting my sport so I could have time to focus on other things. It didn't do anything to fix my orgo grade, but it did set me up to do better for my remaining years.

Finally, a reminder: You can get into med school with a few bad grades!! You can do well on the MCAT even if you fail an orgo test! It sucks when its happening to you, especially when you see all kinds of perfect stats on SDN, but remember that a bombed test does not define your worth or your abilities. Hopefully this was helpful, and best of luck :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your midterm. This was orgo II, and I ended up scraping out a B-. I was actually pretty proud of that B-, since the way our professor graded the class was to set the class average as a B- and scale up/down from there. I did not withdraw (no way in hell was I doing orgo all over again, and like I said, proudest B- I've ever gotten). It was several years ago at this point so I don't really remember exactly what scores I got on the rest of my assignments, but I think my final percentage ended up being around an 84%. One of the big saviors of my grade was the lab component of the class - If you have a lab grade averaged into your course grade, that is something that is easy to focus on and do well in even if you're struggling with tests. Homework can also be really helpful, not only in padding your grade a bit but also in working through tough concepts, so don't half-ass that. 66% is a lot of grades left, and a lot of chances to pull your score back up. Otherwise: show up to class, talk to your professor (cry in their office if you need to), maybe seek help from friends/other resources. I will admit that I was stubborn and didn't utilize some of the tutoring resources that we had on campus, but I'll be a hypocrite now and encourage you to do so.

I also suggest looking outside the class itself and seeing if there is anything else in your life that contributed to the bad test. For me, that semester was really rough, for a number of reasons. I was overcommitted to activities, struggling with some anxiety/social issues, and taking upper div classes for the first time. All of that put me in a bad place and made it tougher to do well in the class. One of the big things I did after that semester was reassess my priorities, including quitting my sport so I could have time to focus on other things. It didn't do anything to fix my orgo grade, but it did set me up to do better for my remaining years.

Finally, a reminder: You can get into med school with a few bad grades!! You can do well on the MCAT even if you fail an orgo test! It sucks when its happening to you, especially when you see all kinds of perfect stats on SDN, but remember that a bombed test does not define your worth or your abilities. Hopefully this was helpful, and best of luck :)

Agree with most of this, but I know my test grades are definitely saving my lab grades (and no homework grades). So to generalize that piece of advice, if you know you're hitting diminishing returns on a part of a class, like tests, you don't necessarily have to give up the whole class. See where else you can get points.

Agree with most of this, but I know my test grades are definitely saving my lab grades (and no homework grades). So to generalize that piece of advice, if you know you're hitting diminishing returns on a part of a class, like tests, you don't necessarily have to give up the whole class. See where else you can get points.

That's true - where you find those extra points will differ a lot by how your class is structured/graded and what your strengths are. Our labs were mostly graded on completion and attention to detail, not % yield or anything, which made them an easy place for points if you put in the work. But your version is a pretty good general rule!

That's true - where you find those extra points will differ a lot by how your class is structured/graded and what your strengths are. Our labs were mostly graded on completion and attention to detail, not % yield or anything, which made them an easy place for points if you put in the work. But your version is a pretty good general rule!
Thanks for your help! Unfortunately lab is another class and the grades won’t go into this average. But I know now that I need to master everything in order for me to get the B-. It sucks but it technically is possible so I might as well stick through with it. My professor for that class keeps pestering me to withdraw (she’s awful) and I think that’s what has made me feel worse. But thanks for your help, it made me not feel completely hopeless :)

its-all-about-bucks-kid-the-rest-is-conversation-quote-1.jpg

--
Il Destriero