Other How to secure unexpected fellowship spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rbf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope all are doing well. Question? anyone who has secured a fellowship spot outside match. Please share your experience and what you did which made the program take you?

Members don't see this ad.

I landed an out of match spot in PCCM. Honestly, didn’t do anything. It seems they liked me or my recommendations a lot. One of her first year fellows resigned and instead of losing the spot she offered it to me. I had moved on so it has been a bit hectic replanning my life around it, but I’m very happy that I’ll save a year.

one thing I did do was email the Program Director of the program I liked the most (the one I got the spot on) and I told her how much I loved the specialty and that I remained available should anything come up. She replied saying that she was sorry and that they liked me a lot and I had been ranked highly.. she said that on occasion spots open up and that she’d keep me in her thoughts. I thought it was all formalities, but apparently she meant it. They passed on their own residents who didn’t match and whom I interviewed with to take me. Don’t know how much the email had to do with being offered the spot.

Reactions: 1 user