How to Improve for Next Cycle + Different Schools to Apply for

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiley_Cat

c/o 2024!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this was my first cycle applying - won't be my last. I'm looking to maybe get some feedback because I have to wait until after April for the rest of my file reviews. The only info I got from my VA-MD file review is that one of my essays could have used more detail, that my gpa was below average (3.5), and that I was 6 people away from getting an interview. Regarding my GPA, I tend to get B's, never Cs, rarely As. I don't expect to get in via waitlist this cycle and I've been accepted to do a PhD program in Medicine/Health for next year (was backup plan).

Female, First Time Applicant, White

Applied: VAMD (IS), LMU, Iowa, WSU, Georgia
Interviewed: LMU
Rejected: VAMD, WSU, Georgia
Waitlisted: Iowa, LMU (unknown, possible rejection - nerves + interview = bad)

Cumulative GPA: 3.47
science GPA: 3.36 (However, Iowa sees it as a 3.26)
last 45: Cumulative 45 = 3.68, Iowa (Science 45?) = 3.37

Any degrees achieved: About to finish my Bachelor's in Biological Systems Engineering,
minors:
Spanish, Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry

GRE results: 164/158/4.5

Veterinary Experience:
- Spay n Neuter clinical assistant 498 hours (now more)
-Career internship at horse hospital 99 hours
- other shadowing (small animal, holistic, and horse) 29 hours

Animal Experience:
- Research Animal Technician (cows, swine, mice, turkeys) 190 hours then, now over 400
- Pet Sitter 32 hours
- dairy stockmanship training 24 hours
- various (dog walking volunteer, smaller stuff) = 160 hours

Research Experience:
-Worked with fish genetics for two years, 222 hours
-Research assistant in Biomedical Engineering Lab working with nanoparticles and now helping with mice immunology 338 hours (now probably over 800)

Awards/scholarships:
-Freshman scholarship
-Dean's list every other semester

Extracurriculars:
- Student Engineers Abroad Council, (was just elected VP at end of spring 2018) 80 hours
-Prevet Club, ~40 hours
-Freshman chair of a Biosystems club 38 hours
-about 70 hours of event related volunteering, (will now be more)

Employment: (my research and some animal jobs were paid)
- Summer working as a nurse aide 100 hours
-Worked throughout highschool as a library page 600 hours

I now realize that I may be an noncompetitive applicant GPA-wise after hearing about everyone's 3.7s.
I am trying to look into other schools that may view my application more favorably if people have more recommendations.

Members don't see this ad.

Might investigate IL and MI. Definitely do your file reviews if you haven't yet-those can tell you much better what you need to improve on than we can.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, this was my first cycle applying - won't be my last. I'm looking to maybe get some feedback because I have to wait until after April for the rest of my file reviews. The only info I got from my VA-MD file review is that one of my essays could have used more detail, that my gpa was below average (3.5), and that I was 6 people away from getting an interview. Regarding my GPA, I tend to get B's, never Cs, rarely As. I don't expect to get in via waitlist this cycle and I've been accepted to do a PhD program in Medicine/Health for next year (was backup plan).

Female, First Time Applicant, White

Applied: VAMD (IS), LMU, Iowa, WSU, Georgia
Interviewed: LMU
Rejected: VAMD, WSU, Georgia
Waitlisted: Iowa, LMU (unknown, possible rejection - nerves + interview = bad)

Cumulative GPA: 3.47
science GPA: 3.36 (However, Iowa sees it as a 3.26)
last 45: Cumulative 45 = 3.68, Iowa (Science 45?) = 3.37

Any degrees achieved: About to finish my Bachelor's in Biological Systems Engineering,
minors:
Spanish, Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry

GRE results: 164/158/4.5

Veterinary Experience:
- Spay n Neuter clinical assistant 498 hours (now more)
-Career internship at horse hospital 99 hours
- other shadowing (small animal, holistic, and horse) 29 hours

Animal Experience:
- Research Animal Technician (cows, swine, mice, turkeys) 190 hours then, now over 400
- Pet Sitter 32 hours
- dairy stockmanship training 24 hours
- various (dog walking volunteer, smaller stuff) = 160 hours

Research Experience:
-Worked with fish genetics for two years, 222 hours
-Research assistant in Biomedical Engineering Lab working with nanoparticles and now helping with mice immunology 338 hours (now probably over 800)

Awards/scholarships:
-Freshman scholarship
-Dean's list every other semester

Extracurriculars:
- Student Engineers Abroad Council, (was just elected VP at end of spring 2018) 80 hours
-Prevet Club, ~40 hours
-Freshman chair of a Biosystems club 38 hours
-about 70 hours of event related volunteering, (will now be more)

Employment: (my research and some animal jobs were paid)
- Summer working as a nurse aide 100 hours
-Worked throughout highschool as a library page 600 hours

I now realize that I may be an noncompetitive applicant GPA-wise after hearing about everyone's 3.7s.
I am trying to look into other schools that may view my application more favorably if people have more recommendations.
Your stats really aren’t THAT low. Yea, some of your academics are below average, but you’re studying a difficult major, and your last 45 is pretty good. Your GRE scores are good too. If you opt to reapply and not go the PhD route, I would really try to get more experience in both animal and vet areas. The average this cycle was 1200 hours for animal and 1200 hours for vet. You have well below that, and while it’s not imperative to have high experience hours, it’s just another way to boost your application. You can’t really improve your grades much at this point if you want to apply this upcoming cycle, but you can improve your hours and your essays. Also apply smarter. Look for schools that focus on last 45. Michigan State is one. Iowa State as well. Iowa doesn’t do interviews as you know, so they won’t get to know who you are outside of essays. I think Mississippi State might be a good choice too. Other than those, look around at different schools’ admissions sites and see what they focus on. Schools like NC State would be a waste of time since they look for very high stats and don’t interview, and out of state requires a 3.4 cumulative to be competitive. Do some searching. There are definitely schools who you could be a good match for. Especially with your GRE scores, research experience, and last 45 GPA. You aren’t a bad applicant in any way. Just pick schools that work better for your stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also apply smarter. Look for schools that focus on last 45. Michigan State is one.
No they are not. They don’t focus on gpa at all. As long as you have a 3.0 or above in prereq science and last 36, they don’t care what your gpa is. That’s not focusing on last 45 gpa.
Schools like NC State would be a waste of time since they look for very high stats and don’t interview, and out of state requires a 3.4 cumulative to be competitive.
Also, they don’t just require a 3.4 to be competitive. They require a 3.4 PERIOD. They will not look at an OOS application if you are not above a 3.4.

Please stop spreading misinformation and actually look at the schools requirements and what they look at before telling people the wrong information about the school.

No they are not. They don’t focus on gpa at all. As long as you have a 3.0 or above in prereq science and last 36, they don’t care what your gpa is. That’s not focusing on last 45 gpa.

Also, they don’t just require a 3.4 to be competitive. They require a 3.4 PERIOD. They will not look at an OOS application if you are not above a 3.4.

Please stop spreading misinformation and actually look at the schools requirements and what they look at before telling people the wrong information about the school.
They look at your last 3 semesters to determine if you get a file review. So... yea, I’m not wrong there at all.

And schools only consider applicants they deem competitive. For NC State, that cutoff is a 3.4. Below that you’re not competitive, and not considered. I know I’ve said some things that weren’t accurate before, and not on purpose of course, but nothing here was inaccurate.

They look at your last 3 semesters to determine if you get a file review. So... yea, I’m not wrong there at all.

And schools only consider applicants they deem competitive. For NC State, that cutoff is a 3.4. Below that you’re not competitive, and not considered. I know I’ve said some things that weren’t accurate before, and not on purpose of course, but nothing here was inaccurate.
Yeah but you ONLY need a 3.0 or above. They don’t look at it beyond that. So no, you are incorrect in saying they are last-45 focused. When they don’t focus on gpa AT ALL.
And “a gpa above minimum” and “a competitive GPA” are two totally different things. Yes, it’s POSSIBLE to gain admission with a gpa just above minimum, but it is not a competitive gpa because of the general average for their OOS accepted GPA. A 3.6-3.7 or above is the minimum to be competitive for NCSU. Things likely haven’t changed and gotten lower since she applied, only higher since the applicant pool has increased so much, and therefore likely much more competitive.
Tis true. My OOS classmates were insane. I think the lowest GPA was like a high 3.6? Unless things have changed dramatically I wouldn't apply OOS unless you're >3.6-3.7ish at the least.