How can I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binx2002

Reaction score
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 21, F, TX, Traditional, Applied once

Applied: TAMU, TTU, RVC
Interview Invites: TTU, RVC
Waitlisted at TTU, rejected at RVC

Overall GPA: 3.69

Degree(s): B.S. Animal Science w/ minor in Chemistry (Fall 2020-Fall 2023)

Veterinary Experience: 2,838 hrs total
• Equine Hospital externship - 53 hrs
• Trained OTJ veterinary technician - 1,195 hrs & counting
• Veterinary skills lab at TAMU VERO held by veterinary professors there - 9 hrs
• Random labs held by university’s Pre-Vet club - 4 hrs
• Occasionally working cattle - 3 hrs & counting
• Kennel technician/veterinary assistant - 1,574 hrs

Animal Experience: 723 hours total
• primarily pet sitting
• some volunteering at animal shelters (as dog trainer or regular volunteer)
• some hours in taking dogs out of shelters for the day to aid in adoption
• some at a neonate kitten rescue
• little at a wildlife refuge center
• some as a volunteer at a therapeutic riding center
• some for a horse production course

Research:
None

Extracurriculars:
823 hrs
• University’s Pre-Vet club member for entire undergrad
• Best Buddies social media officer for Fall 2023 semester
• Best Buddies member since Sophomore year of Highschool
• Highschool AP art student
• Youth cheerleader coach during Highschool

2700 hrs of Highschool cheerleading (pep rallies, football & basketball games, youth camps, volunteering events, etc.)

Awards:
• President’s List (4.0 for semester) x3
• Dean’s List (3.5 for semester) x2
• Presidential Scholarship for entire undergrad ($2,000 a year)
• Fear Free Certificate

Non-Animal Employment:
Animal Anatomy Lab Learning Assistant - 102 hrs

LORs:
Lead DVM and Owner of Practice
Associate DVM
Animal Anatomy Professor

Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
I wrote about my dog’s tragic accident as a puppy that caused her to break her maxilla, and how I remained calm and triaged her as my family was in shock. I wrote about how I helped nurse her to health & how it further pushed me to become a veterinarian. I wrote how I now educate owners on various topics to avoid a scenario like my dog’s and how I became passionate about neonatal/young animals/mothers through my dog’s injury as a baby and as a volunteer at a neonate feline rescue and neonate wildlife rescue.

Important Notes/Questions:
For one, could my age be a factor? (Young?) For two, I'm very interested in studying in the UK. Would doing a veterinary internship abroad possibly help me get interviews (and hopefully acceptances) from other UK schools next cycle? Would they see me as a more serious applicant since I would’ve already studied abroad before? Not to mention I’m extremely interested and passionate about learning different cultures and how different or similar pet care is around the world.

Members don't see this ad.

Applied: TAMU, TTU, RVC
Interview Invites: TTU, RVC
Waitlisted at TTU, rejected at RVC
What happened with TAMU?

Would you be willing to apply elsewhere?
Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
I would strongly consider changing your personal statement. The sick pet topic is highly used for the personal statement and would likely make you blend into the crowd. If you can do file reviews, that would give you the best idea on if this was a sticking point.
For one, could my age be a factor? (Young?)
Likely not. Depending on the admissions process, some or all of the committee might not have even known your age. You're older than about 10% of my class. Most people apply at 20-23 for the first time. I was 21 when I first applied.
Would doing a veterinary internship abroad possibly help me get interviews (and hopefully acceptances) from other UK schools next cycle?
Very likely not. The majority of pre vet students don't have study abroad experiences simply due to cost. It certainly wouldn't hurt you. But how much it helps will likely not be worth the cost.

Consider scheduling an admissions meeting with your in state schools and the UK schools (all of them) to gauge what you need and what they're looking for.

What happened with TAMU?

Would you be willing to apply elsewhere?

I would strongly consider changing your personal statement. The sick pet topic is highly used for the personal statement and would likely make you blend into the crowd. If you can do file reviews, that would give you the best idea on if this was a sticking point.

Likely not. Depending on the admissions process, some or all of the committee might not have even known your age. You're older than about 10% of my class. Most people apply at 20-23 for the first time. I was 21 when I first applied.

Very likely not. The majority of pre vet students don't have study abroad experiences simply due to cost. It certainly wouldn't hurt you. But how much it helps will likely not be worth the cost.

Consider scheduling an admissions meeting with your in state schools and the UK schools (all of them) to gauge what you need and what they're looking for.

Thank you so much for your insight. TAMU was a pre-interview rejection. I’m willing to apply to other US schools and UK schools.

I can see where you’re coming from with the personal statement—I’m so stumped on a topic then! Because like most people, I’ve wanted to a be a vet since I was little. I guess I can post in the personal statement threads?

Do you have any other advice for me to improve my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get the chance to do file reviews, that would be best.

Otherwise, I think you subjective stuff would be your biggest weakness cause your objective stuff (GPA, experience numbers, etc) aren't shabby at all.

Casting a larger net would be ideal using the AAVMC public data to pick and choose where your best chances are.

Reactions: 1 user
Ask for file reviews at TAMU and TT, if they offer them. They may have specific feedback, especially about your essays. Your best chance for admission is going to be your in-state, especially if you have two. And they’ll likely be cheapest, which is very important. Your stats you posted seem pretty average, which isn’t bad, but you’ll probably be more competitive as an in-state student than as an OOS student with average stats, since IS tends to have slightly lower numbers in most cases. So I’d talk to the Texas schools and see what they have to offer.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you can definitely add hours that aren’t involved with vet med such as volunteering or gaining a leadership role. Everything in your application related to veterinary medicine is good, but admissions committees want to see a well rounded individual. I’ve heard from various people that they love to see jobs or experiences with customer service aspects as much of what a veterinarian does is talk to clients!

I think you can definitely add hours that aren’t involved with vet med such as volunteering or gaining a leadership role. Everything in your application related to veterinary medicine is good, but admissions committees want to see a well rounded individual. I’ve heard from various people that they love to see jobs or experiences with customer service aspects as much of what a veterinarian does is talk to clients!

Thank you so much! I feel like I have a lotttt of customer service experience through being a veterinary technician? I talk to clients all day every day. I think it would be silly of me to get a job at like a retail store or something since I’m literally in the vet med field as a technician… I don’t know!

How can I get leadership roles if I’m not in undergrad anymore (ie can’t become a president of a university club or something)? I’ve kind of taken on the roll of training/mentoring my kennel tech co-workers on things like filling medications, taking out IVCs, etc. since I’ve been in their same position & wanted vet techs to do that for me… I just don’t know how to put that into my application as a “leadership role” if that makes sense.

Thank you so much! I feel like I have a lotttt of customer service experience through being a veterinary technician? I talk to clients all day every day. I think it would be silly of me to get a job at like a retail store or something since I’m literally in the vet med field as a technician… I don’t know!

How can I get leadership roles if I’m not in undergrad anymore (ie can’t become a president of a university club or something)? I’ve kind of taken on the roll of training/mentoring my kennel tech co-workers on things like filling medications, taking out IVCs, etc. since I’ve been in their same position & wanted vet techs to do that for me… I just don’t know how to put that into my application as a “leadership role” if that makes sense.
In terms of leadership roles, you can head a committee in a church or community organization, participate in community activities like volunteering at your local senior center or boys/girls club. You can volunteer at homeless shelters, food pantries, soup kitchens, read books for preschoolers at a local library. Volunteer at a school (helps if you have a kid lol) if you work for a large place, working groups or diversity and inclusion committee are great too!