How to become competitive for Psych Residency (incoming medical student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutchaDocta111

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

A few months ago I received an acceptance to one of the original 5 D.O schools. Since undergrad I have wanted to pursue psychiatry and recently I found out its becoming more competitive to attain a spot. I wanted to know what you guys think would make me a competitive applicant for a psych residency? How can I improve my chances of matching into psych is basically what im asking. Any tips/advice is appreciated. Also, I got my B.S in psychology. Will that help?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

A few months ago I received an acceptance to one of the original 5 D.O schools. Since undergrad I have wanted to pursue psychiatry and recently I found out its becoming more competitive to attain a spot. I wanted to know what you guys think would make me a competitive applicant for a psych residency? How can I improve my chances of matching into psych is basically what im asking. Any tips/advice is appreciated. Also, I got my B.S in psychology. Will that help?

The bachelors will carry no weight. Psychiatry is in the 'less competitive' specialty tier (as defined by STEP score requirements, no offense towards psych which is a great field), which works in the favor of those who absolutely love it. It is increasing in competitiveness in recent years as the lifestyle is very favorable.

All you need is a solid STEP score, to do some research, and crush your psych rotations. Then collect your job!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 3 users
You don’t need to do anything special during your first year. If you want to get involved with some psych research then that is fine, but in no way necessary. Just focus on getting comfortable in medical school, which is certainly enough to be going along with. Psychiatry is not a speciality that requires any sort of “gunning” from day 1, and this can even be an impediment tbh. Continue to develop your growing interest in psychiatry as you progress through medical school, and you will shine on your psych rotations. Maybe read some psych books to get started.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The competitiveness of psych is highly tiered. Any old psych residency, in a random spot in the country, at a no-name program? Just get average scores, dip your feet into some research, and do something that shows you’re serious about psych, apply smartly, and you’ll match psych just fine.

But if you want to be picky about geography or which program? That’s an entirely different ballgame. Psych programs in a major city, or at programs with the best working conditions, or with certain university names, or a combination of those, get very competitive quickly.

Reactions: 3 users
Matched into psych this year. I think building a CV that shows genuine interest in psych is the most important thing you can do. This can be research, community involvement, leadership, or whatever else. Besides that do as well as you can in classes and boards. Don't fail anything.

Psych is getting more competitive....but it's still not that competitive, haha. Get average board scores and don't be at the bottom of your class, and you'll have no problem getting a psych residency somewhere.

Show interest early on, join a psych interest club and get involved in research if you want. As long as you mesh with other like minded students who are also interested in psych you’ll probably match. If you’re picky on location then you’ll want a 220+ on step 500+ comlex, but otherwise just learn as much as you can in school and you’ll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

What if you can't find psych research (no home psych residency program or in the nearby area)? Can research in other specialty help?

What if you can't find psych research (no home psych residency program or in the nearby area)? Can research in other specialty help?

You can find research opportunities in other specialties that are somewhat related to psych. I did a project in a completely different rotation that had clear overlap with Psych.

The psychology degree WILL make a difference and help at the majority of programs. Psych is quickly becoming more and more competitive, so do get a good Step score. You CANNOT fail PE. A failure in PE is likely going to kill your app at many places. Research is unnecessary, but won't hurt. AUDITION rotations are key and personality! Personality matters in psych probably more than any other specialty.

Reactions: 1 users

Essentially what was said above by Mass Effect. Having a particularly difficult personality that is not uncommon among gunners can be a big impediment in psych. Psych people can be pretty hyper sensitive to offensive personality quirks so I think the more relaxed students often make a better impression than the overly aggressive types. This is not to say you say you should not do things to demonstrate interest in psychiatry. Appearing uninterested is much worse than appearing too interested, but you don’t need to freak out about checking every single competitive box that those shooting for more competitive specialities feel the need to accomplish. Doing super well on boards is helpful, but it will not guarantee a match just as doing poorly will not necessarily prevent a match. The rule book for landing a psych residency is not completely different from other specialties, but it is a tad unconventional.

The competitiveness of psych is highly tiered. Any old psych residency, in a random spot in the country, at a no-name program? Just get average scores, dip your feet into some research, and do something that shows you’re serious about psych, apply smartly, and you’ll match psych just fine.

But if you want to be picky about geography or which program? That’s an entirely different ballgame. Psych programs in a major city, or at programs with the best working conditions, or with certain university names, or a combination of those, get very competitive quickly.
How does one go about this? What will help you stand out to match in competitive psychiatry residencies?

You don’t need to do anything special during your first year. If you want to get involved with some psych research then that is fine, but in no way necessary. Just focus on getting comfortable in medical school, which is certainly enough to be going along with. Psychiatry is not a speciality that requires any sort of “gunning” from day 1, and this can even be an impediment tbh. Continue to develop your growing interest in psychiatry as you progress through medical school, and you will shine on your psych rotations. Maybe read some psych books to get started.
How could it be an impediment?

How can I improve my chances of matching into psych is basically what im asking.
Make sure you don’t fail any courses/boards, and be geographically flexible.

Agree with @ERK123 , no need for research, obsessing over class rank/grades, or any other “gunnery” behavior. Just pass everything on your first try and be a nice, agreeable person during your interviews.

How does one go about this? What will help you stand out to match in competitive psychiatry residencies?
The same things that you need to do for anything competitive.

1. Getting a really high STEP 2
2. Honoring all or most of your clinical rotations (Esp IM,FM,Neuro, and Psych in this case)
3. Getting authorship on as much formally published work as possible