How does a DO become a successful OBGYN applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcedCoffeeOnly

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year med student at a graded and ranked established DO school. I am very interested in becoming an OBGYN and want to know what steps I must take to successfully match.

Questions:

1) Do COMLEX scores matter? I'm reading that Step >>> COMLEX. is this true for OB?

2) How important is research? Are in-school poster presentations good? That's about as much research I can find at my school.

3) Is class rank important? I am mostly getting B's and a couple of A's, and I think I'm smack down in the middle, either 3rd or 2nd quartile. Will this hinder me in any way?

Things I will be doing for sure: taking Step 1 and Step 2, doing as many auditions as I can

Are there anything else I should keep in mind? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to add "Taking Comlex level 1 and Comlex level 2" to the things that you will for sure be doing.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Do average on COMLEX and you’ll be fine as long as you do well on Step
2. Look harder for research opportunities. Work with other OBGYN applicants to get your own stuff going. Posters are good, but the more the merrier
3. Not really. Middle of the pack is great.