How to be competitive for residency as an international student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiikookie

PrePod
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished my first semester of first year and obtained a 3.77 gpa, i anticipate to be around the top 10% of class based on talking to my classmates. Are good grades enough to get a good residency? I'm from Canada and plan on doing my residency somewhere in Michigan, preferably detroit or nearby cities. Any tips on what I should do from here? I'm not a leadership kind of student, never liked being in clubs or lead one. I've yet to compile a list of international friendly residency programs in michigan, will do it this week.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
you give off “I’m the ****, I know everything” vibes and it’s just the first semester, haven’t proved anything yet. If you keep that attitude up it’ll get you nowhere in residency

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
How the heck did i give off that vibe? the reason I mention my supposed class rank and gpa is because it's an important factor to see how I'm doing and for others to critique or give advice on what to do next. Considering I am an international student, things work differently for me and I would have to take everything seriously and carefully. Had I been a domestic student this wouldve definitely been a "I know everything" post.. Of course it's just the first semester and it could all go downhill from here. Classic SDN response.. never answering my posts.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You will be competitive for any in Mich if you keep top quarter class rank. Do the best you can.
It's not wrong to be objective... that is the point of gpa and rank and why programs and schools use them.
You rank will go down... because the bottom quarter or so of your class will flunk or go to extended grad programs. Count on that. Most schools put the hardest courses with actual chance to fail during 2nd spring, 3rd summer, 4th fall 2nd year semester (physio, micro, LEA etc depending on your school).

It is always in your best interest to be humble and friendly and easy to work with on rotations regardless of your paper stats.

...Most of the Mich ones don't get as many apps as they probably should since they're not in a pod school city and Det has a bad rap. Still, realize a residency crunch or shortage is likely coming soon with new schools graduating, so max out your options and work hard to have no issues in match.

DMC was elite among pod residencies, but the longtime director retired and assistant director left to be in a different group. I think their quality competitiveness has dropped off at least a bit from elite to good or very good. They did get some good new attendings, but clerk and find out.
Beaumont Wayne (was Oakwood Annapolis for quite awhile) has a solid program but legendary director is near retirement... make sure there are young attendings and good cases when you visit. It will still be a solid option.
St John Ascension (StJohn Hospital or "StJohn Main") is good. It was my top choice in match, and I visited the 2 above and some really good programs elsewhere also. You can live in Grosse Pointe, which is nice and safe, and the hospital is large academic setting. The program is not the absolute monster it was decades ago since some of the hospitals in their umbrella spun off as newer programs (Ascension Macomb, McLaren Macomb, Henry Ford Macomb, etc), but there are still a lot of cases and academics and a good depth chart of attendings and history there. It's absolutely worth a visit.

Henry Ford Macomb and StMarys Livonia are your newer but fairly good Detroit ones... both smaller and pretty dependant on director for cases and academics, but potentially good. Pay close attention to how many cases they have per resident and how many residents they take.

Most of the other Detroit programs are average or lower... but some of them would still get fair or good interest if they were in a more popular location. Genesys (Ascension Grand Blanc) is in a nice area but pretty thin on trauma and overall balance... mostly just elective stuff. Ascension Providence gets a fair number of cases and you could do worse, but it's largely DM and limb salvage... you won't get the elective and trauma you see at the top 3 Det ones.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for your detailed response and quick summaries for the programs. I understand personality goes further than just numbers. Also you're right we have had people who drop out already from first semester and a handful failed some classes, so I can't imagine how small the class will be in the later years.

...Also you're right we have had people who drop out already from first semester and a handful failed some classes, so I can't imagine how small the class will be in the later years.
Welcome to podiatry... 100% start, 70-80% graduate, ~20-30% get a good residency, fewer yet get a good job. :)

Keep GPA/Class rank as high as possible.
You need those high in order to apply to clerkships and open doors.

Personality, work ethic, etc comes into play when you are clerking.
Doesn't matter if you're from Canada or international, programs have no reason to discriminate and there's more than enough students to go around.

Just make sure you read through program listings that they will take you if you are NOT a U.S. citizen. There are some threads that discuss Green card status etc.

you give off “I’m the ****, I know everything” vibes and it’s just the first semester, haven’t proved anything yet. If you keep that attitude up it’ll get you nowhere in residency
What international student abused you on rotations?

• Haha
Just finished my first semester of first year and obtained a 3.77 gpa, i anticipate to be around the top 10% of class based on talking to my classmates. Are good grades enough to get a good residency? I'm from Canada and plan on doing my residency somewhere in Michigan, preferably detroit or nearby cities. Any tips on what I should do from here? I'm not a leadership kind of student, never liked being in clubs or lead one. I've yet to compile a list of international friendly residency programs in michigan, will do it this week.
you've got a lot of time left. Keep up your grades and rank.

Just to reemphasize, you really should reach out early to see if the programs you are going for sponsor Canadians. Most programs say they do but not sure if they actually do? We had a few international students this cycle who described just the whole process being overly difficult and vague.

Pass all the boards first time, makes the whole process easier.

good luck friend

Welcome to podiatry where they create a caste system amongst mediocrity. Truly laughable.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Welcome to podiatry where they create a caste system amongst mediocrity. Truly laughable.
Oh yeah. As an upper tier ABFAS board certified FOOT AND ANKLE SURGEON it is my duty and obligation to keep the man down.

• Haha
Personality, work ethic, etc comes into play when you are clerking.
Doesn't matter if you're from Canada or international, programs have no reason to discriminate and there's more than enough students to go around.

Just make sure you read through program listings that they will take you if you are NOT a U.S. citizen. There are some threads that discuss Green card status etc.

I wouldn't say programs discriminate but they may not want to go through the process of sponsoring. Also I believe you would be out of the running for all VA positions, if you cared at all for those spots.

... VA positions, if you cared at all for those spots.
Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

• Haha
  • Wow