How much medicine do anesthesiologists know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sadly, far more than most internal medicine physicians and nearly all family medicine docs and surgeons.

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? More than IM folks? That’s a bit of a stretch.
Yeah, we certainly know more physiology especially when it comes to CV, lungs and brain.
But more medicine than IM? Seriously? More pathology? Especially about things we don’t normally see in the OR?
Come on. We don’t need to bash them to point out our strengths.

Reactions: 9 users
MS3 here considering anesthesia but concerned about issues such as CRNAs and boredom. How much medicine do anesthesiologists know?

How much do you know compared to CRNAs (i.e., how much medicine do they know)?

The science of medicine and pathology is really cool. Do you guys feel like you still make use of it in your day-to-day work?

Edit: Didn't mean to have my question to sound rude. I feel bad :(

It’s not exactly rude, just a bit naive. No matter what specialty you choose, you will see in a couple years how nuanced the true answer to your question is.

Reactions: 1 users
Seriously? More than IM folks? That’s a bit of a stretch.
Yeah, we certainly know more physiology especially when it comes to CV, lungs and brain.
But more medicine than IM? Seriously? More pathology? Especially about things we don’t normally see in the OR?
Come on. We don’t need to bash them to point out our strengths.
We should never be mean, I agree.

But I think this playful banter was/is in good fun (albeit at the expense of others). OBVIOUSLY, IM docs know a ton more medicine than anesthesiologists about a great many things.

It's good to laugh. Sometimes we make fun of ourselves.

Speaking of which, I LOVE this article (attached).

Attachments

• bmj.d7506.full.pdf
    357.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
We should never be mean, I agree.

But I think this playful banter was/is in good fun (albeit at the expense of others). OBVIOUSLY, IM docs know a ton more medicine than anesthesiologists about a great many things.

It's good to laugh. Sometimes we make fun of ourselves.

Speaking of which, I LOVE this article (attached).
Their conclusion is wonderful.

"Conclusions Male orthopaedic surgeons have greater intelligence and grip strength than their male anaesthetic colleagues, who should find new ways to make fun of their orthopaedic friends."

Reactions: 2 users