How much do you guys study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about how many hours you guys and gals study each day. I have read that the podiatry school curriculum is very similar to the traditional allopathic/osteopathic curriculum, so is it safe to say that podiatry students study just as much as other students? Or are the classes a little harder/easier, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about how many hours you guys and gals study each day. I have read that the podiatry school curriculum is very similar to the traditional allopathic/osteopathic curriculum, so is it safe to say that podiatry students study just as much as other students? Or are the classes a little harder/easier, etc.?

AZPOD, Scholl, and Western's classes are integrated with medical students. Also, everyone learns at different rates so the amount of study time amongst students is a subjective topic. Taking an average of the amount study time amongst students could also be misleading.

dmu is also integrated

Members don't see this ad :)
AZPOD, Scholl, and Western's classes are integrated with medical students. Also, everyone learns at different rates so the amount of study time amongst students is a subjective topic. Taking an average of the amount study time amongst students could also be misleading.

Come on, you're going to leave of the school that created integrated programs?

Also, not to start a big fight, but Scholl is not an integrated program. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last I heard they take 3 integrated courses.

I am going to be the "outlier" who did not attend an "integrated" program, but I can tell you that the workload is intense. For our program at Ohio, it really hits you in the second semester of first year when the course load gets substantially heavier. Point I want to make is that regardless of where you go, you will be expected to log in alot of hours and effort if you intend on doing well - this is a professional school so your first day as a professional begins with your first morning anatomy class (or whatever first year course you have on schedule). There will be long hours, alot of studying, a few all-nighters (maybe - depends on how you study) so you have to be well prepared to manage and cope with all this NOW.

Remember, you are accountable for the information presented to you - the days of memorizing random facts and dates from History class are long gone. You should appreciate that the whole "doctor" gig starts now. Just work hard and learn as much as you can. Best of luck with your endeavours.

Depends on the class. There are some classes that I had before, and it doesn't take as much as some put in. Other classes that I have never had require more time. I always tell people, the key is to stay on top of the workload, whereever you are.

Thanks for your responses.

How do the courseloads compare to those you had in undergrad.? For example, I took A&P last fall, and it was pretty intense (especially since I had never taken a class like that before); how does the podiatry school version compare? Tons and tons more information to memorize?

How do the courseloads compare to those you had in undergrad.? For example, I took A&P last fall, and it was pretty intense (especially since I had never taken a class like that before); how does the podiatry school version compare? Tons and tons more information to memorize?

I didn't study in undergrad. I studied in med school. That is all I can associate. If you treat it like a job, work from 8 to 5 and som weekends you will do well.

Anatomy is tons of work, also a lot of fun! You really have to love getting into lab and learning the material b/c otherwise its tough. I was always in the lab at 6am the week prior to the exam working on the lab practical material and studying for the lecture material in the afternoon/evenings. Like I said, it's tough but you'll get through it. I am in the midst of learning renal and GI physiology right now and its also tough. You have to remember, this IS med school no matter what any one tells you and its going to be tough. You just put your best forth and do the best you can! Personally I love it and could probably study less than I do, but my routine works for me. You just have to find out what works and stick with it no matter what it is :thumbup:

Oh, and to compare to undergrad courses there really isn't much comparison. Everything is presented differently with the intent of making it more clinically relevant. Not to scare you, but gone are the days of memorization, say hello to 3rd order questions that expect you to already know the basics :eek:

I didn't study in undergrad. I studied in med school. That is all I can associate. If you treat it like a job, work from 8 to 5 and som weekends you will do well.

:scared: How did you make it through Organic Chemistry, A&P, upper-level Biology courses, etc.?

Maybe I'm more of a dumbas* than I thought!

...Just work hard and learn as much as you can. Best of luck with your endeavours.
This is really the bottom line.

For the OP,
The programs are hard, and they are that way because you will someday be responsible for people's health. Your goal should just be to assimilate as much knowledge as you can. Everyone has different natural talent levels and different strong suits (rote memorization, conceptual thinking, visual learning, short/long term memory, etc). You can study to ace the tests, and you can also study to understand the material. The two often go hand in hand, but not always.

Some courses like anat, pharm, or micro are pretty much just straight memorization. You will spend a ton of time memorizing medical terms, buzzwords, and numbers. Nobody will remember it all, so you just do the best you can. Other areas of study like physio or biomechanics are more conceptual where there is not a ton to memorize, yet you have to understand and think through a logical process.

Every course is there for a reason, but some are obviously more essential and more represented on the boards. In semesters where you get really crunched, make sure you are getting the most of your key classes: anatomy, path, and pharm. If you bring strong applicable knowledge of those subjects into clinic courses and clinic itself, you will probably do very well.