How much do ER bunnies study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandemicpremed97

Reaction score
I saw a forum that discussed this broadly, but I'm considering emergency medicine specifically and the forum didn't talk about this speciality.

Also how do you find time to study outside of working 60-80 hours?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I completed an EM residency. Including conference hours was about 65 hours. But EM is a dead end job and will soon become the first specialty to continuously produce board certified physicians that can't find a job -- which is unthinkable. The American Academy of Emergency Physicians recently wrote this:

Basically strong wording against another group, the american college of emergency physicians which has let EM become so corporate that we are wholly controlled by CMGs. Even before covid19 hit, EM doctors were in a slow tumble in pay. Once coronavirus hit, hourly pay decreased all over the country. Many physicians have been let go, and most of the workforce has seen reduced hours. This trend will continue. Furthermore, a few CMGs own most of the jobs (staffing wise) and have been pushing higher metrics and worse working conditions in a specialty known for extreme burnout.

The CMG that I am hired through sent an email to my group of docs stating they expect a .5% rate of downgraded charts. They also have sent emails to the group about the need for increased patient satisfaction (and this is during coronavirus when everyone was dieing and families weren't allowed to be present for their loved ones' last moments). They also sent multiple emails stating they expect patients to be seen faster. So spend less time with patients while making them happier and making your notes better. They control the jobs so they control what we must do and what we get payed, and if we don't like it there is nowhere else to turn. You're lucky to even have a job. I have many friends experience the same thing at different jobs from the same or similar CMGs. I suggest you avoid the specialty at all costs

Reactions: 1 users