How important is the residency applicant's PFT score during the selection process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How important is the residency applicant's PFT score during the selection process?

• Total voters

Armymed2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also is this branch or specialty specific?

Members don't see this ad.

Also is this branch or specialty specific?

You just have to pass and not flunk the tape part either. Barely passing = super stellar score in the view of most docs reviewing the applications.

For the Air Force they used to list the applicant's weight in the paperwork, I found that weird because although we get weighed during the PT test, it
is not part of the score just the tape measure waist.

If in an active duty residency you do have to continue to pass and in the Army you won't be promoted to
the next pgy level unless you are in good standing.

I do not think selection boards, be it for GME or promotion, even have access to your score in the Army. They just know whether you passed or failed. And as Kilgoretrout mentioned, if you don't meet the height/weight/body fat standards then you have failed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not think selection boards, be it for GME or promotion, even have access to your score in the Army. They just know whether you passed or failed. And as Kilgoretrout mentioned, if you don't meet the height/weight/body fat standards then you have failed.

Do the GME selection boards even have access to scores and height/weight? I don't think anyone except for prior service and USU students even had a record APFT at the time of application. Can they see the old diagnostic tests? We don't take a record APFT until October of this year.

Do the GME selection boards even have access to scores and height/weight? I don't think anyone except for prior service and USU students even had a record APFT at the time of application. Can they see the old diagnostic tests? We don't take a record APFT until October of this year.

Short answer: I'm not sure.

Long answer: I doubt it. As you mentioned, HPSP students would not have taken an APFT since BOLC (if at all), so it wouldn't be usable anyway. There should be no record of a diagnostic APFT or else it would be...well...a record APFT. Taking one in October seems about right, because that's when most commands due the semi-annual PFT anyway.

Regarding height/weight, people really need to conceptualize this as a 4th event. Accordingly, if boards just know if you passed or failed the whole test, then they'll just know if you made height/weight/body fat % or didn't. If they don't care what your push-up score was, then they don't care what your body fat % is, provided that both are within standard.