How bad is my 8/11 Casper test date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent145231

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Score should be released on 9/1, so maybe 2-3 weeks after my secondaries are in. Around 10 of the 28 schools I applied to require it. Maybe 2-3 specifically said my app would not be considered complete and ready for review until the score is in, while the rest had it as one of the checkmarks on their app status page, but didn't specifically say it has to be in to be reviewed (though it might be implied). I didn't see any that said they'd still look at my app without it.

How bad is this? Is schools looking at the app without casper even though they require it not a thing anymore?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would be fine because everything is pushed back this cycle. Many people are still waiting for primaries to be verified. Also, they usually release the score in less than 21 days.

You're fine. In a normal year, you'd be considered "on-time" if you were complete by labor day, and this year everything is pushed back.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine. In a normal year, you'd be considered "on-time" if you were complete by labor day, and this year everything is pushed back.
I keep hearing this because a few adcoms have suggested that they might have a feeling that this is probably the case, but has anyone actually seen any school say that any part of their timeline is actually pushed back due to COVID?

I've seen schools say not to delay submitting secondaries while waiting for delayed MCAT scores, which implies that they are NOT going to push EVERYTHING back, like reviewing secondaries. I've also seen at least one adcom confirm that completed applications are so far running way ahead of where they were at this time last year. So again, what's pushed back, other than first verified application transmissions, which were delayed by two weeks a month ago, and some MCAT scores, which most schools have indicated they are not waiting for?

IIs have already started going out. I was never one to think that an application was DOA if it wasn't complete by Labor Day, but I really do think it is dangerous for everyone to repeat as gospel that everything is pushed back this year due to COVID. Not so long ago, these same people were saying that it wouldn't be surprising if the entire cycle was canceled, due to COVID, and that schools and AAMC would not make accommodations for people whose MCATs were canceled in the spring, because med school is a seller's market and the schools have more than enough well qualified applicants without the 15,000+ people who would have been shut out of this cycle if the test wasn't shortened and the additional dates and times weren't added to the schedule.

These gurus have a unique insider's perspective when it comes to giving us a peek into the process from the other side of the wall, and have years and years of experience to share on how to build a successful application, but their predictive powers when it comes to how this once in a lifetime situation (that they have never seen before, and consequently, have zero experience on which to draw in making predictions, just like the rest of us) has so far left a lot to be desired. These are the same people saying COVID is no excuse for being light on EC hours, but it's okay to take your time on getting your application in, because, COVID. We'll see!!

So I'm just not sure throwing in a bunch of secondaries at the end of September or middle of October is going to work out any better for anyone than it would have in any previous cycle, regardless of what some otherwise very knowledgeable individuals happen to think. We'll know for sure next spring, but I sure wouldn't be willing to bet a cycle and thousands of dollars on this being the time the broken clock was right. JMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, my app was always going to be late because AAMC overbooked my mcat testing center and pushed me back several weeks. Don't worry though, they gave me an email I can show to adcoms. It's all good.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, my app was always going to be late because AAMC overbooked my mcat testing center and pushed me back several weeks. Don't worry though, they gave me an email I can show to adcoms. It's all good.
What schools have been saying is not to let that stop you from submitting without a score. That's your accommodation, not a note from AAMC!

Again, if I haven't been clear, based on what I've seen, the accommodation at many schools seems to be they will look at a secondary without a MCAT, which wouldn't have happened in years past. So far, other than on SDN, I haven't seen any school say take your time in submitting applications because they are going to hold the train for you due to COVID. And, even on SDN, I haven't seen a specific school mentioned as advising us to do this.

Honestly, my brain was so fried from studied for the mcat for four months longer than I planned to and having my exam canceled <24 hours before I was to take it that applications were not going to happen until well after my actual date. I had my primary sent to my school list last night and have started working on secondaries today.

Honestly, my brain was so fried from studied for the mcat for four months longer than I planned to and having my exam canceled <24 hours before I was to take it that applications were not going to happen until well after my actual date. I had my primary sent to my school list last night and have started working on secondaries today.
You'll be fine as long you get them in by the end of the month. When are you taking test, if you haven't already?

I just got my score back two days ago, made my school list yesterday and re-submitted late last night. Got 20 secondaries between last night and this afternoon and I'm waiting on I think 7 more.

I just got my score back two days ago, made my school list yesterday and re-submitted late last night. Got 20 secondaries between last night and this afternoon and I'm waiting on I think 7 more.
Oh, you're totally fine. I wouldn't worry about CASPer. You have a month. No worries.

I keep hearing this because a few adcoms have suggested that they might have a feeling that this is probably the case, but has anyone actually seen any school say that any part of their timeline is actually pushed back due to COVID?

I know my school has pushed back its interview timeline (usually ends in the middle of December, now it's going until the end of January). Not sure about others.

I know my school has pushed back its interview timeline (usually ends in the middle of December, now it's going until the end of January). Not sure about others.
That's encouraging! Especially because with interviews being virtual, it's not like they need the extra time to schedule them. So it looks like your school is in fact pushing things back to give people extra time to get applications in. Your interviews ARE virtual, correct?

The premed advisor at my school stays in close contact with the in-state medical schools. She told me the timeline had been pushed back a little.

FWIW

That's encouraging! Especially because with interviews being virtual, it's not like they need the extra time to schedule them. So it looks like your school is in fact pushing things back to give people extra time to get applications in. Your interviews ARE virtual, correct?

They are virtual, yes!

@jamaica jan sun princess : can you define "a little" (if you know)?

I would just be careful taking advice from someone else's pre-med advisor. Many of our advisors are pretty bad, so I wouldn't be too comfortable relying on someone else's!! :)

I definitely agree with @KnightDoc, this is just an anecdote. I trust her opinion because her students have a ~70% acceptance rate into medical school and an interviewer from one of my state schools echoed her thoughts in a mock interview. Could just be my state schools that are behind a couple of weeks. I hesitated even posting given the unreliability of anecdotes.