How are long hair and a beard perceived in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting medical school in mid-July and am wondering how long hair and a beard are perceived in medical school.

I currently have hair up to my shoulders and a pretty full beard. It is about 22-25 mm in length.

During my medical school interviews, I did not cut this hair or beard. I just made sure they were well kept.

It worked out well because I got about many interviews and acceptances.

Should cut my hair for medical school as an OMS1 to something more "professional" despite my appearance not being an issue during interviews.

I will keep the beard regardless, but I am more open to getting a more medium/short haircut.

Any constructive input and or personal experiences would be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

That shouldn't a problem at all. It's your hair you do whatever you want with it. Just keep it clean and professional. Some students even grow beard for religious reasons, and that's never been a problem.

Reactions: 2 users
I have one friend that had "does not look professional" for long hair during an OSCE. He complained and got it changed though. I only say this because 99% of people won't care, but you might run into one or two of the older generation that might throw a stink and say something, but it will not affect your standing at school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am starting medical school in mid-July and am wondering how long hair and a beard are perceived in medical school.

I currently have hair up to my shoulders and a pretty full beard. It is about 22-25 mm in length.

During my medical school interviews, I did not cut this hair or beard. I just made sure they were well kept.

It worked out well because I got about many interviews and acceptances.

Should cut my hair for medical school as an OMS1 to something more "professional" despite my appearance not being an issue during interviews.

I will keep the beard regardless, but I am more open to getting a more medium/short haircut.

Any constructive input and or personal experiences would be highly appreciated.
Keep it however you want no one will care. People in my class had purple/pink hair thought preclinical years and one of our best professors has blue hair, so a guy with long hair shouldn't be a problem

Reactions: 1 user
Appreciate yall's responses.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user