LONG COVID right before starting residency... HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user22175

Reaction score
Did not match this year and ended up scrambling into a prelim surgery spot at a major academic center.
Recently developed long covid after having covid a month ago. now suffering from severe fatigue, memory issues and asthma like reactions...
Devastated by this turn of events. can I get through a prelim surgery year, do well enough to get good letters while battling long covid or should I forfeit the position and focus on health?... I likely will not have this opportunity as a reapplicant next year. ugh.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Wow I hate that you have to go through that, good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Did not match this year and ended up scrambling into a prelim surgery spot at a major academic center.
Recently developed long covid after having covid a month ago. now suffering from severe fatigue, memory issues and asthma like reactions...
Devastated by this turn of events. can I get through a prelim surgery year, do well enough to get good letters while battling long covid or should I forfeit the position and focus on health?... I likely will not have this opportunity as a reapplicant next year. ugh.
At one month out it is too early to tell. You might be fine in another month or two, or you might just have a lingering cough. Long COVID is very unpredictable. If you find yourself really struggling you could leave early enough on to minimize damage, but either way its not going to look good. If I were you, I'd try as best you could to get whatever treatments you can get and try your best at the prelim year (unless you have another option out there).