How about these scores for derm...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountaindew2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone-

I'd like to get some advice if I can. Well, not me but a good friend of mines that doesnt have and SDN account but had a question. She got a 240 or 241 ( forget what she told me but it's definitely one of those) and was in the 97%.

She didnt get into AOA this year, but perhaps next year (she is now a fourth year, and yes at a US med school). Her grades have been well above average and shes got great LORs from rotations she's been doing.

What are her chances? Do you really need 260+ for this field? OH and she didnt do any research as she wasnt going to go into a competitive field.

Please tell us what you think, it would be appreciated! :thumbup:

P.S. is there a website or somewhere you can stear us into about derm residency programs and their cut offs, etc? She was looking to stay in the Chicago area, so that would be great if she could.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Getting into Derm is not based purely on a specific number.Your friend has a highly competitive score,but there are those with it who dont get in and those with lower scores who do.Its possible to get into Derm without research if you are otherwise a strong candididate.Doing research is however helpful in making contacts in this field which is often critical.It also shows a strong commitement to the specialty. Once you limit yourself to specific city your chances of matching start to drop. A helpful website is http://p204.ezboard.com/bdermatology

my sister just went through the match and she would tell me the average applicant she'd see on interview trail were 250+ AOA plus research. this is the most competitive field. I would tell your friend to have a backup in case he/she doesnt match which is a very real possibility.

the ezboard link is also full of helpful info. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
mountaindew2006 said:
Hey everyone-

I'd like to get some advice if I can. Well, not me but a good friend of mines that doesnt have and SDN account but had a question. She got a 240 or 241 ( forget what she told me but it's definitely one of those) and was in the 97%.

She didnt get into AOA this year, but perhaps next year (she is now a fourth year, and yes at a US med school). Her grades have been well above average and shes got great LORs from rotations she's been doing.

What are her chances? Do you really need 260+ for this field? OH and she didnt do any research as she wasnt going to go into a competitive field.

Please tell us what you think, it would be appreciated! :thumbup:

P.S. is there a website or somewhere you can stear us into about derm residency programs and their cut offs, etc? She was looking to stay in the Chicago area, so that would be great if she could.

Thanks

Well, 241 would be high enough, but 240 is just waay too low. Everyone knows you gotta have 241+ to match in derm.

If it was all a numbers game, PD's could be eliminated from the match process. Just let the machine do it's work.
So of course it isn't just about one number. With the right quals, you - or your friend - can get into derm. I even know a derm-trained dermpath who's a D.O. (gasp!). A good score is important, but derm is also very heavily research-oriented, so strong research credentials really, really helpful, as well as strong LOR's, good contacts, good interview technique, etc. etc. Dermatologists, like any other specialty, want's people who are bright and dedicated. And being a competitive specialty, they can be more selective, but in the end it's all about choosing the person who'll become a good dermatologist...