Differences/Similarities for an MD/PhD interested in matching derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stingyepidermis

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm an M2 in an MSTP (MD/PhD) program. I'm interested derm, but I've heard mixed opinions on how to best prepare myself for this as an MD/PhD student and was hoping to get some opinions.

My main question is, will a productive PhD with basic science papers related to skin biology be sufficient to match into a derm program? I'm mostly interested in research intensive 2+2 tracks but would be open to any place that takes me tbh. People who have given me advice have told me not to worry about clinical research or case reports as these programs look for different things/more basic science research focus. I've also had a hard time even getting clinical research as when faculty hear you're an MD/PhD student they say not to worry about this, but given how competitive derm is i'd like to set myself up properly.

If anyone has any advice or experience with how candidates are selected for these research intensive tracks, I would love to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: