Hopeful Pathologist Seeking Assistance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalDoge

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should probably read the EM forums. I’m not sure it’s much better than pathology these days.

I’m going to recommend you do what you want to have a career in. If you really wanted to stay in Florida and were willing to compromise on what you do, the location within Florida and the salary, I think you would find something assuming you’re not a jackass and have no major red flags.

Not at all familiar with Florida but personally, I would go to a top or at least a solid regional program over some dumpy program in an ideal location. Doesn’t have to be Harvard or Stanford if you want to stay in Florida. Why not look at Vanderbilt or Emory. I bet those places could set you up for a job in the SE if not directly in Florida.

Reactions: 1 user
I would sooner choke on my vomit than be an ER doc. Hated ER rotations in Med school. Last month I spent in the night in my local ER (rapid A-fib) and it was a depressing experience. I felt sorrier for the docs and nurses than I did for myself, and this was a fairly nice suburban ER.
Sounds like you should be able to get into a top path program. Aim high (Stanford, Hopkins, MGH etc).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Train near where you want to settle. I would not aim high unless you want to do academics. If you want to be in private practice, find a regional program that is good in the Southeast. Vandy and Emory are great suggestions. If you have a region where you want to practice in, scope out where those pathologists trained - might get you an edge later through alumni connections.

Thank you all for your responses! The EM question was more of a joke I could never :rofl:

One more follow-up question, does where I do fellowship or residency matter more in terms of prestige and what hiring parties would look more closely at?
Fellowship matters more, but good fellowships go to internal candidates.

Not sure of the current situation, but when I interviewed at UF in Gainesville way back when it seemed like a solid program with a very nice hospital and good faculty. Otherwise, I agree with looking at strong regional programs in the Southeast (Emory, Vandy, Duke, UAB).

Not sure of the current situation, but when I interviewed at UF in Gainesville way back when it seemed like a solid program with a very nice hospital and good faculty. Otherwise, I agree with looking at strong regional programs in the Southeast (Emory, Vandy, Duke, UAB).
UF Gainesville is a very solid program. However, UF Jacksonville is probably one of the worse of the worst! I interviewed at both. The exact opposites.

Should you go into Path, don't worry about the job market in Florida. HCA has taken over much of the state and is willing to employ anyone with a pulse for 255-285K (starting), while grinding you for far more RVU's. But, at least it will get your foot in the door until you find something better.

Should you go into Path, don't worry about the job market in Florida. HCA has taken over much of the state and is willing to employ anyone with a pulse for 255-285K (starting), while grinding you for far more RVU's. But, at least it will get your foot in the door until you find something better.

The thing I find odd is so many biotech companies where I am are willing to pay 250K to pathologists to act as "lab medical directors" and you hold up to 5 of these, why would you ever do that?

Unless you are starting out and want to grind volume to cut your teeth, you are better off in a federal VA job long term with pension/health benes.