Honest opinion please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ace1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated undergrad with a ~2.9 GPA. I recently took my mcats(no scores yet) and was wondering what my shot was at getting into pod. I was scoring around the high teens, low 20's on practice aamc mcats. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated undergrad with a ~2.9 GPA. I recently took my mcats(no scores yet) and was wondering what my shot was at getting into pod. I was scoring around the high teens, low 20's on practice aamc mcats. Thanks.

If you are scoring low twenties on your aamc practice exams, you can subtract at least five for your actual score. That would put you anywhere from a 15-19 (yes, the aamc practice exams are a joke compared to the real thing). If you have a comparable science GPA (around a 2.8) than you may have a shot with a 20 MCAT, but i suspect that this would be a long shot looking at your practice exam scores. If your science GPA is lower than your overall GPA things start to get really ugly for you (you would probably need a mid twenty MCAT). I am not trying to discourage you, but if i were you, i would be studying for my second MCAT.
Good luck to you
Mike

Barry, NYCPM, Ohio. You'll get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Barry, NYCPM, Ohio. You'll get in.

I would definitely bank on the advice of a pre health student. I'm glad you already know everything.

It doesn't hurt to apply to all the schools and see what happens. It will cost some money but nowhere near what it cost to apply to MD school.

But... ask yourself honestly if you will be successful in pod school. What about your study habbits are you going to change and how are you truely going to learn all the info? Once in pod school grades are not just about knowing information to get a degree or pass a class, it is about you learning as much as you can for your patients.

The world always needs nurses.

Sig, that is a completely STUPID and ignorant comment. It is that mindset that causes issues within healthcare. If you know anything about podiatry and had a half a brain, you would understand that same way of thinking hurts podiatry as well (not a real doctor because not an MD). Nurses have their role within the medical profession, and are valued team members who help provide complete health care. I am not, nor have ever been a nurse. However, I actually have a brain and would not make an egotistical, arrogant comment like that. I have seen good and bad healthcare facilities. At the best places, even the NA is looked upon as a valued team member. Just because you might be willing to give up x amount of years to become a doctor doesn't mean that a nurse didnt have that same option but turned it down. You are no better than anyone else, regardless of the initials after your name

After I finished laughing, I realized that this might actually be a serious reply. I'm still not sure. However, I'll respond in a serious manner.

All people are different, we were not created (err evolved) equal. I believe that every single person should have equal rights and freedoms. It is simply a fact that some people are smarter than others. I wish that everyone had the chance to become a doctor if they wanted to. However, both you and I know that a lot of applicants never make it to medical school. You and I both have, and I'm very grateful for this opportunity. This wasn't some cakewalk though. I worked my ass off to get where I am, and I deserve to be here. If someone else did not work as hard, or did not take classes as seriously, that is their own choice, or it is their genetic make-up. In the event that it is their choice, and they have the ability to become a doctor, then I believe that they should not waste potential. People that are smart enough to excel in a field, but instead choose not to because they would rather have a less stressful job or less responsibility, are selfish. I wanted to go to PA school for a large portion of my life. I then realized that if I have the potential to become a doctor, better that I apply and take someone's seat that would barely make it into school than let a poor applicant make it in. Obviously, there is always someone at the bottom of the class. If everyone applied to medical school, it would be harder to get in, but instead people choose not to and thus the quality of the applicant decreases. Of course, people that have no desire to become doctors need not apply.

Anyways, I think I was trying to make some sort of point with this post. Oh, doctors work harder and train harder. They make more sacrifices in their lives. In the end, it pays off. I'm sure you have sacrificed something to be where you are.

Do some people choose to change bed pans and make less money? I didn't.

Is this post completely arrogant? I'll admit that it probably is.

And if you are so concerned with fixing podiatry, then do not encourage people with low stats to apply to school.

This thread is going to an ugly place, and starting to burn my eyeballs: time to ebay!!!

Hey everyone thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all the input. I just received my MCAT scores and have a gun to my head(joke) after seeing what I got. I was expecting around a 20 but I just saw that I received a 16. Yes thats right a 16. I'm not a big standardized test taker so its not like I expected to excel. Anyway just wondering if you guys could please provide more input on what my next course of action should be. I would like to apply to the NYCPM's january program so anyone who's in NYCPM their reply would be much appreciated as well as anyone else who has something worth reading to say. Please dont be an idiot and start bashing me on my study habits and what type of doctor I should be or If i should be a nurse yada yada. We're all adults here so please lets act like it. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

Just study real hard take a practice test the day before you take it and if your still not ready just cancel it and study till you think you are ready.
game design degree

Let me refine what Marty said

"just study real hard for a few months take a dozen or more practice tests the weeks before you take it and if you are still not ready study more and if still not ready just cancel it and study for a few more weeks till you think you are ready"

I'm glad sig gave me a license to make fun of him for his evolutionary shortcomings (ie intelligence)...the dude bashing nurses is the dude who could only get into pod schools :D

Although its true, dtrack, I came to that realization myself. Not the one about other schools; the one about treating others with respect. Thus, I'll be accountable for my actions. I messed up. Live and learn.

I hope you carry your stellar attitude into podiatry school. Its a lot different once you actually get here. No one bashes each other for not getting into MD school and everyone is extremely friendly and supportive. People work as a team and are on your side. Very few people here are out to get you; I actually have yet to meet one. Prepods can talk all the **** they want, life changes when you start school. Med students can talk all the **** they want, life changes again when you start residency, and so on. It just takes that change in your life to realize how immature and naive you were, and it takes openmindedness to recognize that change. Back to studying.

1) simmer down, it was a joke

2) I hope one of those comments doesn't come bursting forth when you're ready for residency interviews...that would be a shame

3) You were the one doing the bashing. Hope you took that post to heart when you read through it. And as for my attitude, I'll be fine, focus on your own studies.

4) Good luck with the studying, from what i hear many pod students (or DO's for that matter) are not very efficient...40 on a biochem test? Really?