Hiring Non-Residency Trained FMG's Instead of Mid-Levels...Implications for Pain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm aware of one pain group that hired a foreign neurosurgeon to be their in-house pain surgeon/first assist at their ASC.

"Bryan Carmody, MD, MPH, a pediatric nephrologist at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, who has long studied data on residency and the Match process, said that the influx of labor would be good for academic medical centers in Tennessee. "They can hire experienced physicians at bargain rates," Carmody said in a video on the topic."

Members don't see this ad.

i think generally speaking, id rather have a fellow doctor, than a mid-level

I remember as a medical student during my surgery rotation a fourth year surgical resident from India. He was board certified in India and Great Britain but had to repeat residency here. While in the SICU with him I saw the letter from the ABS for the second consecutive year congratulating him on the highest in service exam results in the nation. He got 4 questions wrong. He was also more talented than any of the attending surgeons.

Reactions: 1 users
It sounds like the food is about to get a lot better in some of the rural areas

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users