Hey FliteSurgn or Anyone!!!! Important Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do civilian surgery programs feel about you taking 2-3 years off for flight surgery post internship. Does this hurt you competitively??? Do they want you to repeat internship year????
thanks,
chillin

Members don't see this ad.

Does it hurt your competetiveness? I don't think so. Do they want you to repeat your internship? I think that is something that YOU need to decide. Of course, if the residency doesn't have a spot open they would require you to start "at the beginning." Here are some things to consider when confronted with this situation.

1) If your committment is not finished, you must reapply to the military GME board. The results of this will not be released until well into the civilian interview season. Therefore, you could potentially waste time and money applying and interviewing only to find out that the military isn't going to let you go back to residency at that time.

2) If you don't want to repeat an internship, you must find a second year position somewhere. These can be hard to find out about, but there is a website that lists most openings. (Sorry, I can't think of what the site is right now.) Try contacting a nearby medical school or surgery residency program director, they will usually help you out.

3) If you get a second-year spot, the residency must be willing to help get you "up to speed" since you've been out of surgery for a while. If at all possible, save some leave to take in June before you start residency. That way you can start a little early and get a jump start on catching up to your fellow residents. Most residencies should be happy to do this if they find you to be a good candidate who will fit in well. Remember that you'll be filling a vacancy, thereby helping to spread out the work.

4) Securing a civilian residency with committment remaining to the military is called a "redeferment." You completely separate from the military during your residency. This process, separation, can be a pain in the butt and takes quite a while. The minute that you secure a residency position, you have to bust your butt to get the ball rolling.

5) All of these have to be accomlished while you are still doing your job. That means that you may have deployments, military training, etc. to deal with while trying to get all of this done.

All of this being said, it is certainly do-able. I'll give you a few details about how I did it. Personally, I had decided to repeat an internship because I didn't know how comfortable I was going to be getting back in the saddle after 2 years. Plus, I didn't know how to find out about second-year openings. I held off on most of my interviews until after receiving confirmation that I got a redeferment. So I didn't waste much money.

At one of my first interviews, I was offered a second-year spot. The residency had an intern quit because he decided to do anesthesia. I knew that the residency was awesome and even though I had reservations about my "green-ness", I accepted the position.

Between deployments to Saudi Arabia, I managed to get all of the paperwork done and arranged the move. I barely got all of this done and I had quite a while to do it since I got my residency spot in January. I'm very pessimistic that this can be easily done if you don't find out until Match Day.

I started 2 weeks early so that I was able to get a little more comfortable before being expected to SUPERVISE the new interns. In the end, it couldn't have worked out better. I am so glad that I didn't repeat my internship. Everything came back to me quickly, both operatively and on the patient-care end. I've had an incredibly good time in residency.

One of the things that I haven't said...one of the benefits of this course of action...you actually made money during your time on active duty. Little to no debt thanks to HPSP, time and money during GMO/FS stint to buy things or pay off what debt you have, etc. So, you may be much more comfortable financially than your fellow residents.

So, there are many factors to think about. A lot of this depends on your personal choices and comfort with returning to residency. In the end, it can definately be done. It just takes some leg work! Good luck.

Hey how much would you be making if you took the hpsp with a 3year commitment and after the med school spent the internship and the 3 years as a flight surgeon or a dive doctor?? That is, is it possible to do this, and then quit medicine all together and try some other job, but already have some reasonable amount saved up?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll answer P-M's question in case anyone else is interested, though I would direct everyone's attention to Patriot-Missile's ridiculous post on the military medicine string about fleeing the country to escape from his USUHS commitment. Do us all a favor and stay away from the military, maybe medicine entirely if it's not too late.
That said, I made about $75,000 dollars last year as a diving medical officer, of which about $58,000 was considered taxable income due to the exclusion of housing allowances, etc. If that's enough to "quit medicine altogether and try some other job", go right ahead, but it's a big waste of those 5 years for med-school and internship. Certainly a better option than skipping town on your obligation, though.
Enjoy Canada...why wait? I hear France is looking for a few motivated folks like yourself.
DD

Hello, I am not even near applying to med school yet. Just curious in various careers and thats why I'm asking questions. I live in Quebec and have no reason to feel honoured to be some marine. But have to admit, it would be interesting to work in the military, though the interest might be lost quickly... I am grateful for the information you provide, but dont expect me to apologize for my morals, I am probably a more ethical person(when it comes to dealing with friends or just bystanders being attacked by people you dont like) than you or bush anyway. Regarding France, no need to even discuss, just remember 90% of americans dont have a passport.

Regarding the dive medicine income, I take it they don't give you many bonuses? So I take it the difference in salary for a 1st and 3rd year dive doc is not much, proportionate to the increase for time in service of an 0-3?

It is true, that salary sucks. But please do tell me what a usual day of a dive doc involves? Like your daily routine?

Hey sorry man, im interested in this. Tell me what you did today starting from when you woke up. Thanks.

It's been almost six years since I left the Navy and I only worked with one DMO, but I bet I can give you some generalizations.

Turned off the alarm.
Took a piss.
Turned on the coffee pot.
Tuned into SportsCenter.
Took a shower...

Here are a few questions for my military guys.

What are the chances of someone getting a residency in General Surgery after doing a GMO tour? Is it still competitive?

What is it like in another branch of service that requires no GMO tour? Is it more competitive to get a GS spot than coming out of a 2-year GMO in the Navy?

How would someone do a trauma fellowship in the military? As of now, I would like to be a trauma surgeon.

Thanks.

JKD,
I did a transitional year internship, not surgical, but all of my friends who did Gen Surg internships have not had difficulty returning for a Gen Surg residency after their GMO tours. I can't speak for the other services.
As for Trauma fellowships, you would apply for those as a chief resident (5th year) like any other civilian. The Navy selection board would have to approve the funding, but as the community is small you would likely know whether that would happen well in advance.
One good thing about DOD funded civilian fellowships is that they are funded by the military, and by law you cannot also collect the civilian salary if the military is paying you. Your military salary will be higher than a civilian fellow salary anyway, but more importantly, you cost the program NOTHING. Therefore, you become a very attractive candidate and your chances of getting a top-tier fellowship improve dramatically. Everyone I have seen head for fellowship has gone to a very prestigious program.
Hope this helps,
DD

Navy Dive Doc,

What are the chances of being allowed to do a trauma fellowship after you have completed your general surgery residency? Do you know if most people who want to do fellowships are allowed to do them off the bat, or if they have to wait and work for a few years?

Thanks for any input!!

- Quid

I would say more often than not, people are able to go right into fellowships if they want to. Especially for trauma, which is needed but not as popular because of lifestyle issues, I think it would be likely, but again, I'm not a surgeon.
DD