Help with remediation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigFootBigDreams

Reaction score
Currently, I'm a first-year student nearing the end of the initial academic term. It hasn't been easy for me to kick off this year, and unfortunately, I ended up falling short in some of my classes during the first quarter and failed (not lower extremity). However, I've since revamped my study methods and managed to consistently achieve A's and B's in my coursework. Now, I find myself needing to rectify those failed classes by taking a remediation exam right before the commencement of the second year. Truth be told, I'm unsure about how to best prepare myself or what to anticipate in these upcoming exams. Would you happen to have any tips or advice on how to navigate this situation and get adequately prepared so I'm able to pass remediation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Currently, I'm a first-year student nearing the end of the initial academic term. It hasn't been easy for me to kick off this year, and unfortunately, I ended up falling short in some of my classes during the first quarter and failed (not lower extremity). However, I've since revamped my study methods and managed to consistently achieve A's and B's in my coursework. Now, I find myself needing to rectify those failed classes by taking a remediation exam right before the commencement of the second year. Truth be told, I'm unsure about how to best prepare myself or what to anticipate in these upcoming exams. Would you happen to have any tips or advice on how to navigate this situation and get adequately prepared so I'm able to pass remediation.
I would definitely pass it.

Make a study schedule

Stick to it. Don't deviate, don't panic and start doing flashcards or ordering snake oil from your classmates, just stick to it.

The study schedule needs to cover all content. So you need to make a deadline and stick to it.

You need to figure out what your weak points were in that subject and get stronger at it.
You need to review your strong topics and make sure you can score all of those points.

Work on your testing skills. Is it outside factors - anxiety, health issues- causing you to not retain material?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Make a study schedule

Stick to it. Don't deviate, don't panic and start doing flashcards or ordering snake oil from your classmates, just stick to it.

The study schedule needs to cover all content. So you need to make a deadline and stick to it.

You need to figure out what your weak points were in that subject and get stronger at it.
You need to review your strong topics and make sure you can score all of those points.

Work on your testing skills. Is it outside factors - anxiety, health issues- causing you to not retain material?
Thank you, one thing that I'm struggling with is with how difficult or how detailed said remediation exams will be. I understand the study schedule and figuring out weak points, I'm just unclear on how detailed my review and studying needs to be.

This is a great opportunity to start using board prep material IMO. First year classes are tested on boards therefore if you have to remediate likelihood is they are going to focus on high yield board topics. I'd head over to whatever active part 1 APMLE thread is happening and look there - honestly this is great practice for what it is like studying for part 1.

The exams in remediation will likely be key ideas or important concepts. Because you are retaking the course in a very small timeframe, the questions are less likely to be crazy details or nitpicking. Study everything but focus on the general or main ideas just like studying for boards. Ask the professor for help and what/how to study for it. They'll give you tips, guide you, and help you pass. I think as long as you're making the utmost effort and you seek help, you'll pass.

Reactions: 1 user

It would be nice to know what your remediation classes are.

You should get into contact with someone who has remediated the course before and see how the exam was set up.

Then try to find people who are also remediating and seeing what they know.

Then you should ask the professors what they want you to know. They might be helpful or they might not.

Then you should do as another user said and focus on the key points of that class, aka high yield questions.

Finally, I think after you nail those, you should go over the minutiae details because you don't want to fail out and you should allot enough time to even study the small details of the course.