Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to choose between, MD and DO school. I leaning more towards the DO school but I am hesitant because I feel it may lower my chance at some residencies. I this a good reason to select the MD school over DO?
my pros and cons list
OU-HCOM
Pros
- 20 min from my house, (I commuted during undergrad as-well)
- Best DO school based on rankings
- low cost due to scholarships and staying home
- Like the Cleveland area and want to practice in the area
- will get to learn OMM
-I love Cleveland
Cons
- New curriculum seems untested
- Because it's DO school not sure how the merger will impact the matching

University of Toledo
Pros
- better match list for surgical specialties
-traditional curriculum
- seems like the school has more specialized faculty
- will learn to be more independent moving away from home
-MD so might have easier time matching
Cons
-More expensive
-2 hours away so gotta get my own place, more money, also time away from school
- Toledo seems boring

I think there's a lot of anxiety about the unified match process, so no matter where you go, I think there will always be uncertainty.

You are right to focus on the curriculum. I'm not sure if OU's curriculum is untested; they are accredited after all. Like many other medical schools they vouch for more small-group work and applying their knowledge early. There are probably classes that are taught via securecam to all the campuses at once I presume, so if you don't mind that type of learning environment where it's arguably a bit more contemporary, it's an interesting choice. Toledo's website seems to do a great job summarizing its curriculum and opportunities.

What I will point out (which I hope others will attest) is that you're really only going to be concerned about your first two years in terms of where you are studying preclinical material. Clinical years are more about clerkship rotations, and many schools can arrange some of the electives in areas farther away from the home campus. Both of your schools are in Ohio so I'm certain that you'll be able to find your way back to helping patients in Cleveland eventually. The question is that if it sounds like the opportunities in OUHCOM-CLE campus really excite you and make you motivated, it's fairly clear which campus you would prefer. That motivation will hopefully be apparent in the way you approach your clerkships and thus the supervisors for your residency letters ought to reflect that.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.