General How do I decide between areas of interest, MD, PhD, PsyD, NIH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in topics centered on stroke rehabilitation, autism, alzheimer's and some neurotransmitter disorders. I'm also very interested in BCIs and fMRI, which I'm certain is another sector of study entirely (bioengineering vs. neuroscience). The pediatric connectome project sounds incredible to me, so do the CLARITY and DTI studies. I'm also very intimidated as, per my lurking, I'm discovering that this is one of the most difficult and technical cogsci/neuro specialties. Also, perhaps, one of the most competitive.

My dream job would be working with people with a range of neurocognitive concerns and improving their quality of life. I'm unable to determine whether I like lab work or not; I have no experience in a university lab. Hoping to change that very soon. I also live less than an hour away from DC and NIH/NIST. Hoping to intern there.

Compensation/lifestyle wise, money isn't a huge factor. I like what I hear about MD-PhD options... yah, quite the length of schooling, but that's fine. I'm also considering neuropsychology. I don't know what medical school has in store, neuroscience-wise, but that's my central focus. It seems that grad school would make more sense than medical school at this point, but I'm not ruling out MD/DO.

Anyway, I feel like this is a rather niche interest and I'd like to kick things off correctly. I'd also like to steer clear of math :D (stats is fine). Do you have any suggestions for activities in undergrad that will make me competitive in this area?

Thank you.
TBH, the most important thing for any of these paths is going to be a solid academic basis. If you don't have the grades, you're not going to be competitive for med school or grad school.

When you get to your undergrad campus, find the neuroscience folks. See what research is being done and find someone doing something you think is interesting and work with them. If you are productive there and enjoy the work, then look into research internships. But don't let it detract from your studies.

Members don't see this ad.

NIH SIP has been a mess this academic year. A couple of my undergraduates had issues in 2020 with acceptances already in place. I had to have some frank words with the Program Director with respect to post-acceptance rescinds on their part and NIH OD made good on alternate placements with some special help for grad and med programs. If you are already local, you should definitely consider applying for one this fall.

Your grades as well as class balance matter more than research in the early undergraduate. Do not neglect the hard prerequisites, you will not be accepted into a lab if you cannot contribute meaningfully.

One other matter for your consideration. Neuroscience has had major field expansions multiple times since I was in training. I would keep an open mind as I expect certain fields to expand and or differentiate themselves in that general area.

Do you want to learn medicine or do you want to learn neuroscience/psych/neuropsych?

Even if you go into medicine and later neurology or psychiatry, it's still medicine-based and while neuro isn't super competitive and psych is getting more competitive, there is no absolute guarantee if matching in neuro or psych, at least where you might want to go. If you do the MD/PhD and even forgo residency to focus on research, then you wasted time and took a seat from someone else who wants to do both.

Your post screams neuroscience/psych/neuropsych to me, and completing a PhD/PsyD instead of the combo will take less time and get you where you want to be more specifically with more of a guarantee of being in those fields.

Secondary question is do you want to do or focus on research, or do you want to do or focus on clinical work?

If you're dead-set on the field of neuroscience/psych/neuropsych, don't care about the money, and want to primarily focus if not solely focus on research, then do grad school.

If you want to learn medicine more broadly and go through residency to practice clinically and work clinically or primarily clinically, then go to med school or MD/PhD.

Do you want to learn medicine or do you want to learn neuroscience/psych/neuropsych?

Even if you go into medicine and later neurology or psychiatry, it's still medicine-based and while neuro isn't super competitive and psych is getting more competitive, there is no absolute guarantee if matching in neuro or psych, at least where you might want to go. If you do the MD/PhD and even forgo residency to focus on research, then you wasted time and took a seat from someone else who wants to do both.

Your post screams neuroscience/psych/neuropsych to me, and completing a PhD/PsyD instead of the combo will take less time and get you where you want to be more specifically with more of a guarantee of being in those fields.

Secondary question is do you want to do or focus on research, or do you want to do or focus on clinical work?

If you're dead-set on the field of neuroscience/psych/neuropsych, don't care about the money, and want to primarily focus if not solely focus on research, then do grad school.

If you want to learn medicine more broadly and go through residency to practice clinically and work clinically or primarily clinically, then go to med school or MD/PhD.
100% agree with this entire post.

Status
Not open for further replies.