Help Deciding Gap Year Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndcpjf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping some people could offer some advice. I have two offers for a gap year position. Offer 1 is as an assistant in a medical clinic that deals with lymphatic disorders. I would be working with the physician and involved in direct patient care. Offer 2 is as a TMS technician at a clinic, which also offers direct patient care but not sure how much interaction with fellow physicians I might have. The TMS tech job pays slightly better but I was wondering if working at the lymphedema center might be more interesting to have on an application. Any help/thoughts is appreciated. Thank you.

*Edit: From what I've seen from searching the forums is that a) Adcoms might not particularly care all that much b) take whatever pays more c) do what you are most interested in - Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I was hoping some people could offer some advice. I have two offers for a gap year position. Offer 1 is as an assistant in a medical clinic that deals with lymphatic disorders. I would be working with the physician and involved in direct patient care. Offer 2 is as a TMS technician at a clinic, which also offers direct patient care but not sure how much interaction with fellow physicians I might have. The TMS tech job pays slightly better but I was wondering if working at the lymphedema center might be more interesting to have on an application. Any help/thoughts is appreciated. Thank you.

*Edit: From what I've seen from searching the forums is that a) Adcoms might not particularly care all that much b) take whatever pays more c) do what you are most interested in - Thoughts?
ADCOMs won't really care what you are doing during your gap year other than as conversation pieces. I would personally prioritize quality of life (ie. more money) during gap year over further patient experience (you are applying, so I figure you have enough patient exposure, yes?). Do you like one more than the other? If it is the one that pays less that you like more, is that amount of 'like' worth $1K-6K depending on the wage difference?

ADCOMs won't really care what you are doing during your gap year other than as conversation pieces. I would personally prioritize quality of life (ie. more money) during gap year over further patient experience (you are applying, so I figure you have enough patient exposure, yes?). Do you like one more than the other? If it is the one that pays less that you like more, is that amount of 'like' worth $1K-6K depending on the wage difference?
New day, new ii for Elmo... Mazel tov, have you already secured that Boston apartment?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Appreciate the quick response! You've echoed a lot of what other people have said about similar situations. One pays (at this level in my career it's significant) better and has a much easier/shorter drive so I'll probably end up going with that one. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: 1 users