Gap Year Job Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencerules135

Reaction score
Please do not quote: I am going to try to keep somewhat vague if I can.
Hi, as I prep for reapplication I need help figuring out what job to pursue for my gap year. I’ve had a few interviews and these are the ones I’m currently deciding between:
1. MA position at a pediatrician-would be a hands on position at a very busy office. (Already got offer letter)
-hands on experience but not guaranteed full time
-not the best work reviews from previous employees
2. Scribe role in pediatric surgery department at a very well known big name non-profit hospital (told me I got the offer today)
⁃ not guaranteed full time
⁃ Not hands on but a field I’m interested in
3. Orthopedic hand surgery internship-would be assisting in procedures, be apart of pre-op and recovery Care, get to work alongside Spanish speaking populations (still waiting for next steps so haven’t gotten this one yet, but looks promising)
⁃ full time role and is very time intensive however would learn a lot
Personally, I haven't done any of these roles before so any would be new positions to add to my application. However, after some reflection I do feel like my application is lacking in hands on patient interactions so my goal was to find a position that would allow me to be interacting more directly and learn the most. Which do we think is the best option?

Members don't see this ad.

How many hours of clinical experience have you already accumulated? And are you applying again next cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
We can't advise you properly in a vacuum. What have you already done with clinical experience? Who will give you the strongest LOR?

Don't get too caught up with "hands on" experience unless you want to go to podiatry or dentistry; even so, get practice through hobbies. You aren't allowed to touch patients invasively without proper training and certification. Focus more on patient-facing or health-system-related experience.

Also, what are your plans to continue with non-clinical community service orientation activities during your gap? Food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, housing rehabilitation? Now that you're off-campus, you need to show you are committed and don't need the umbrella of a campus club to serve other people.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many hours of clinical experience have you already accumulated? And are you applying again next cycle?
Yes, I do plan to apply again next cycle. I already have significant improvement towards my application and have now around 100 hours of shadowing in various fields: primary care, neurology, vascular surgery, peds ICU, anesthesia.

We can't advise you properly in a vacuum. What have you already done with clinical experience? Who will give you the strongest LOR?

Don't get too caught up with "hands on" experience unless you want to go to podiatry or dentistry; even so, get practice through hobbies. You aren't allowed to touch patients invasively without proper training and certification. Focus more on patient-facing or health-system-related experience.

Also, what are your plans to continue with non-clinical community service orientation activities during your gap? Food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, housing rehabilitation? Now that you're off-campus, you need to show you are committed and don't need the umbrella of a campus club to serve other people.
I will be using the same LOR from previous cycle minus one that I got from a new science professor. I have 2 science, 1 spanish professor, my PI, and an MD I shadowed and worked alongside of. As for non-clinical, I need to start looking into it but I most likely will do food distribution again or transfer to a different food pantry not on campus. There are a few near me that I volunteered at back in high school so I am not too worried

Last edited:
Your plan is solid. Given that you appear to be solidifying your 1 area of weakness (non-clinical volunteering). So at this point, I would recommend you make your comparison based on pay/benefits/quality of life/personal interest

Reactions: 1 users