Half of the IMGs dont match - hard data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sga430

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ya.. Don't mean to be negative but I agree... Page 3 of this link on nrmp.

54.5% of active green cards/ Non-US citizens FMGs don't match.

50.0% of active US citizens (IMGs) don't match.

for those thinking of going to india try looking at the trend. it might even be worse when u graduate and will be applying 7-8 years from now. if this trend continues, all my posts are even more true.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, as far as match is concerned 50% of IMGs don't match. However if you take in to consideration the pre match factor, an option a large number of IMG opt for, the numbers are a whole lot different. In my community program of 17 residents a year, 10 came in through pre match (IMGs who required visa) and only 7 through match(predominantly AMGs). To be an IMG with no visa requirement is definitely a plus. Add to that 2 years of research and you could match anywhere, even big names. I know of IMGs who required visa matching in to MGH and Dukes in competitive specialities like anesthesia and derm. It is a question how good your CV is.

Yes, as far as match is concerned 50% of IMGs don't match. However if you take in to consideration the pre match factor, an option a large number of IMG opt for, the numbers are a whole lot different. In my community program of 17 residents a year, 10 came in through pre match (IMGs who required visa) and only 7 through match(predominantly AMGs). To be an IMG with no visa requirement is definitely a plus. Add to that 2 years of research and you could match anywhere, even big names. I know of IMGs who required visa matching in to MGH and Dukes in competitive specialities like anesthesia and derm. It is a question how good your CV is.

how many imgs do u know that matched into anesthesia and derm this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently in India and Pakistan and got a chance to tour hospitals and medical schools in each with an economics prof. It seemed to me that there was tremendous variation in the quality of the education, particularly in India, with most of what I saw being well below what I would consider even minimally acceptable. Now, given that there are people that go to much, much better schools in India than what seems to be the 'average', or even the 'above average' I don't know if having both groups compaired equally in regards to match is a fair indicator of how well people will do if they attend one of the few very very good schools. Just my thoughts from my admittedly limited observations.

how many imgs do u know that matched into anesthesia and derm this year?

i beleive there will be some anaesthesia imgs but i believe only 1 out of 100 derm seats a year go to imgs.

if you take in to consideration the pre match factor, an option a large number of IMG opt for, the numbers are a whole lot different. .

Where did you heard this Pre-match bull****:laugh: You are potraying prematch in a way as if any tom dick harry will get a pre-match. Pre-match is very hard and there is no way or any proof that a lot of IMGs opt that. its not very common at all.

May be you are confusing pre-match with Post match (scramble):eek: . Coz thats what IMGs are pretty famous for:laugh:

i have tried postmatch and got nothing. i was offered 3 prematches without even asking at any of my 44 interviews.

Feel lucky then, thats extremely rare.

it was a lot of work and $ going to 44 ivs. but i would rather have 44 ivs than only 3. i met many imgs who dont get many ivs. i was confident i would match and also had a chance of getting in a top notch program as well. also it was nice having a long RoL with both top notch progs and easy backups just in case. with things getting more competitve i would aim for 20 interviews.

it was a lot of work and $ going to 44 ivs. but i would rather have 44 ivs than only 3. i met many imgs who dont get many ivs. i was confident i would match and also had a chance of getting in a top notch program as well. also it was nice having a long RoL with both top notch progs and easy backups just in case. with things getting more competitve i would aim for 20 interviews.

So what happened in the end. did you got a spot in any good old community hospital's IM or FM or Peds residency program:laugh: . just kidding man.

so did you get in residency.

of course i did. i got into psych in a university program in kansas city. it is a speciality of my choice (i only applied to psych.) it is a university program. and it is not a inner city ghetto nor a one horse town like mobile alabama or johnson city TN. thus although i did not get my first choice i did succeed (i feel for an img) and am happy. my scores were not the best yet i did pass on the first shot and my cv was packed with usce, etc. i am working on a blog now how to get a residency for an img.

thus although i did not get my first choice i did succeed (i feel for an img) and am happy. my scores were not the best yet i did pass on the first shot and my cv was packed with usce, etc. i am working on a blog now how to get a residency for an img.

if you do 44 interviews and still dont get accepted than as they say in hindi "thooo hai zindagi pay!":laugh: . So yeah, there was no doubt about it that you will get something. 44 interviews is freakin insane man. Did the interview people paid ur expenses (bcoz i know some do) or did you have to cover.

Anyways, hearty congratulations. you deserve it man. God bless you:thumbup:

i found this on the general img forum:

Here's my story as an IMG (US citizen):

*143 IQ (1993)
*1500 on the SAT's (1997)
*Graduated Magnet High school (1998) and went to MIT
*Started stormy relationship with a beautiful woman (1999)
*Got Married (2001)
*Had a kid (2002)
*Graduate MIT with and 2.9 GPA (2.5 science), biochemistry degree, a 1 year old kid and a wife (2003)
*Decided to go to a foreign medical school due to GPA, family circumstances (2003)
*235 Step 1 (2005)
*230 step 2 (2006)
*Applied to 130 programs / 20 interviews offered / went on 18 (2006)
*Matched in my #12 choice an average Internal Medicine Community Program (2007)
:eek: :mad:
In a program where I did my last rotation there were MANY FMG's from India, Pakistan, China, Ghana, Nigeria, and Americans from carribbean schools like Ross, AUA etc. doing rotations come March 15th on 2 out of all of them not including myself matched anywhere.
:(
Finally, this is not to scare anyone - but this is my experience, so good luck in your endeavours whatever they might be.:luck:

if you do 44 interviews and still dont get accepted than as they say in hindi "thooo hai zindagi pay!":laugh: . So yeah, there was no doubt about it that you will get something. 44 interviews is freakin insane man. Did the interview people paid ur expenses (bcoz i know some do) or did you have to cover.

Anyways, hearty congratulations. you deserve it man. God bless you:thumbup:

thanks.

maybe 20% of the hotels were paid for. no air fares though. i got 1-2 free meals per interview. a few free rides to the airport. otherwise it was my own expense. althought i went to an insane amount of interviews i feel it paid off. however i feel most imgs should go to atleast 15-20 interviews if they r interested in matching. i was interested in getting the best possible place and as such atleast 8-10 of my top choices were long shots.

i felt i was lucky i got so many interviews. also often u dont know how a program is until u go there. although u may think of urself as a mere img, u r still a consumer and deserve the best. yet u should be safe and apply to a lot of crappy place.

in any case apply wide and decide later on the number of interviews. u first need an invite.

btw i am working on a blog with more details. once it is up, i will post the link.