Got my first A, should I quit my gap year job right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astalarenmo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm blessed and thankful to have been accepted to a couple schools a few months into my gap year. I'm now working as a scribe (actually still in training 2+ months in due to a lack of trainer availability) but really don't like it and don't appreciate some scheduling issues that have already come up and how my manager is treating it.

Would it be alright to quit now as I didn't include scribing as an activity in my app? I did mention it was part of my gap year plan, and deep down I know want to quit, but I would feel bad as the manager I've trained with constantly expresses how understaffed they are.

I should add that I had a near-death health diagnosis/scare in college that had caused me to move back in with parents a couple years back. Thus, making money this gap year would be nice, but not necessary as I'm in the fortunate position where they actually want me to continue living with them until med school.

I'm at the point now where I'm not really sure if I should continue with this scribe job, especially since the pay is so terrible. Also, given how rough my college experience was, I want to relax a lot before med school (not to an extreme extent of course but it's been a straight grind in classes, research and volunteering the last 3 years on top of my health struggles). Should I just tough it out a few more months or find something less stressful like continued volunteering/shadowing?

Members don't see this ad.

Does your contract obligate you to scribe for a certain length of time?

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you asking SDN if its okay to quit? You got into med school already and want to relax? You dont need the money and dont like your job? **** SDN! Go out and live your life (wo?)man.

PS, Congrats on the acceptances.

PPS, Some perspective. You’re about to enter a phase of your life; at least the next 7 years to be precise, where it’s not going to be okay to quit. Take advantage of the opportunity to quit a job while you can to focus on you and what you hold dear.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you asking SDN if its okay to quit? You got into med school already and want to relax? You dont need the money and dont like your job? **** SDN! Go out and live your life (wo?)man.

PS, Congrats on the acceptances.

PPS, Some perspective. You’re about to enter a phase of your life; at least the next 7 years to be precise, where it’s not going to be okay to quit. Take advantage of the opportunity to quit a job while you can to focus on you and what you hold dear.
Thank you for the advice and congrats!

I'm definitely leaning towards quitting, but I don't really have anyone to talk this through with so I appreciate the thoughtful perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.