Glendale Arizona School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonpaul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone going to/ interviewing at the new school in Arizona? How is the program and do they actually only accept 20 students? Anything you could tell me would be great! THX

Members don't see this ad.

jonpaul said:
Is anyone going to/ interviewing at the new school in Arizona? How is the program and do they actually only accept 20 students? Anything you could tell me would be great! THX

Jonpaul,

Please click on my name and go to "Find more posts by AZPOD Rocks." This should paint a strong picture in your mind about the program.

Other things I haven't mentioned include: awesome new campus! beautiful neighborhood but a little pricey$$$! 33 students seems to be the max students allowed by the state until the first class is graduated, some rather renowned faculty members!

I hope this and my other posts help. Please send me a Private Message (PM) if you have any further questions.

AZPOD Rocks

thanks for your help AZPOD ROCKS! Are the admissions standards really that high?? (GPA~3.5) and ~28 MCAT?? How big of a detriment is it if I just took the DAT? Do you know anything about the entrance averages from last year or where I can find them? AZPOD does look like an amazing school and my podiatrist said it will be TOP in the next few years! THANKS AGAIN

jonpaul

Members don't see this ad :)
AZPOD Rocks said:
33 students seems to be the max students allowed by the state until the first class is graduated

The class sizes are set by CPME and the school not the state. It is based on resources and the schools personal preference. I'm sure there was a limit set by CPME when they issued their accreditation.

jonpaul said:
thanks for your help AZPOD ROCKS! Are the admissions standards really that high?? (GPA~3.5) and ~28 MCAT?? How big of a detriment is it if I just took the DAT? Do you know anything about the entrance averages from last year or where I can find them? AZPOD does look like an amazing school and my podiatrist said it will be TOP in the next few years! THANKS AGAIN

jonpaul

AZPod Rocks attends midwestern so I'm sure he has more information than most of us. I wouldn't be surprised about those stats this late in the process and I think DMU CPMS have similar stats at this time. I think all schools now are receiving higher mcat scores and gpa since it's so late in the cycle already. Their classes are either filled or getting close to they can be much more selective.

I talked to a AZPod student and he said if you are applying early, a 3.3-3.5 and MCAT 22-24 would be competitive.

Dr_Feelgood said:
The class sizes are set by CPME and the school not the state. It is based on resources and the schools personal preference. I'm sure there was a limit set by CPME when they issued their accreditation.

Dr_Feelgood,

You are correct that this is generally the case, however, because AZPOD operates under the Arizona Department of Education (not fully accredited yet), they call the shots on class size. They may do so through CPME but the bottom line is that AZ gov't determines it currently. At least, this the way it was explained to me by the director of AZPOD.

AZPOD Rocks

gsrimport said:
AZPod Rocks attends midwestern so I'm sure he has more information than most of us. I wouldn't be surprised about those stats this late in the process and I think DMU CPMS have similar stats at this time. I think all schools now are receiving higher mcat scores and gpa since it's so late in the cycle already. Their classes are either filled or getting close to they can be much more selective.

I talked to a AZPod student and he said if you are applying early, a 3.3-3.5 and MCAT 22-24 would be competitive.

gsrimport,

Thanks for your support. The numbers I quoted are the ACTUAL numbers for the ENTIRE class this year. There are no more spots so no matter how competitive future applicants are, they will not be accepted unless one of us fails to enroll (I think there is already a wait list with quite a few names on it).

From here on out, I think even early applicants are going to need some significant non-academic criteria in order to gain admission with only a 3.3 cGPA and a 23 MCAT score. They did accept individuals with these types of numbers in the commencement of this year but next year they are going to be more strict. I know this because Dr. Jenkins is the admissions director and told me this when I approached him about several of my friends who are interested in the program. Unfortunately, he told me their numbers (which are competitive at most other schools, including DMU) would not even merit an interview from here on out.

I know this information is harsh but the bar is being raised. I am not the perfect applicant but have competitive numbers for and a substantial medical background for admissions into MD programs but am CHOOSING the DPM because I have shadowed excellent DPMs and love what they do. AZPOD is looking for those who could have gone MD/DO or DDS/DMD but chose the DPM, not those who are denied admissions to these other programs and feel they have no other option. Before too many people attack me on this, I know that all programs are looking for these types of students. AZPOD is just raising the bar to make sure this actually happens at their school. It should be noted that because the school is new and has an all-star faculty, they are able to do this relatively easily, whereas other schools would have a harder time doing this, though their desires are surely in the right place!

AZPOD Rocks

AZPOD Rocks said:
Dr_Feelgood,

You are correct that this is generally the case, however, because AZPOD operates under the Arizona Department of Education (not fully accredited yet), they call the shots on class size. They may do so through CPME but the bottom line is that AZ gov't determines it currently. At least, this the way it was explained to me by the director of AZPOD.

AZPOD Rocks

I see. It was my understanding that they received a "probational" accreditation with limits on how they could operate. I apologize if I was wrong; I’m a big fan of AZPOD. I think that they will push other pod schools towards the DO/MD integration model that is seen at CPMS and AZPOD.

AZPOD Rocks said:
gsrimport,

Thanks for your support. The numbers I quoted are the ACTUAL numbers for the ENTIRE class this year. There are no more spots so no matter how competitive future applicants are, they will not be accepted unless one of us fails to enroll (I think there is already a wait list with quite a few names on it).

From here on out, I think even early applicants are going to need some significant non-academic criteria in order to gain admission with only a 3.3 cGPA and a 23 MCAT score. They did accept individuals with these types of numbers in the commencement of this year but next year they are going to be more strict. I know this because Dr. Jenkins is the admissions director and told me this when I approached him about several of my friends who are interested in the program. Unfortunately, he told me their numbers (which are competitive at most other schools, including DMU) would not even merit an interview from here on out.

I know this information is harsh but the bar is being raised. I am not the perfect applicant but have competitive numbers for and a substantial medical background for admissions into MD programs but am CHOOSING the DPM because I have shadowed excellent DPMs and love what they do. AZPOD is looking for those who could have gone MD/DO or DDS/DMD but chose the DPM, not those who are denied admissions to these other programs and feel they have no other option. Before too many people attack me on this, I know that all programs are looking for these types of students. AZPOD is just raising the bar to make sure this actually happens at their school. It should be noted that because the school is new and has an all-star faculty, they are able to do this relatively easily, whereas other schools would have a harder time doing this, though their desires are surely in the right place!

AZPOD Rocks

I dont think you should be attacked but rather AZPOD should be commended for setting a standard of excellence. Podiatry is becoming increasingly known as time progresses and will only produce more interest from students and in turn better applicants. Granted, since I have not seen these numbers myself I am taking your word for it. But if this is true then its a huge step in right direction. Hopefully all schools will try to adapt a similar curriculum in the future if not already. Standardizing the education is the best thing this profession can do for itself.

AZPOD Rocks said:
gsrimport,

AZPOD Rocks

Sounds great! I'll see you in August!