Getting a Canadian fellowship after US Board certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knight_MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
... is it possible? Or do I have to take all the Canadian exams (MCCEEs...etc) again?

I'm asking because I want to have the US Board certification, but practise medicine back in Canada. Are there special US residency programs that allow/don't allow you to do that?

I heard the US/Canadian matches have been combined into one single match. I was wondering if this sort of collaboration and recognition is found on the Board/Fellowships level as well.

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

When you say fellowship do you mean having your board certification in your specialty recognized?
If that is what you mean, you need to check with the royal college to see if your specialty training in the US is recognized up here. I know that anesthesia is not recognized. For derm and optho and general internal medicine the Canadians want an extra year of training for example however this list is by no means exhaustive.
You will have to write the Canadian exams unless you work in an academic centre and they vouch for you.

When you say fellowship do you mean having your board certification in your specialty recognized?
If that is what you mean, you need to check with the royal college to see if your specialty training in the US is recognized up here. I know that anesthesia is not recognized. For derm and optho and general internal medicine the Canadians want an extra year of training for example however this list is by no means exhaustive.
You will have to write the Canadian exams unless you work in an academic centre and they vouch for you.

Thanks for your reply...

Yes I meant finishing my US residency (e.g. Gen Surgery), passing the Board exam, and being Board certified, THEN applying for a fellowship (e.g. Transplant Surgery) but in CANADA.

SO some residencies allow that and others don't?

How about vice verse? Finish a residency in Canada THEN do a US fellowship. Is this possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
there are definitely some US trained general surgeons that are doing surgical fellowships here in Canada. I know there are 2 in surg onc here in Calgary.

Yes, for some programs the match is a NA match and includes both Canadian and American programs, but not in all programs. I have no idea about transplant.

I do know a guy that did his general surgery in the US and his transplant fellowship in Canada and is now working in Canada. I know he hasn't done his royal college exams (but is in the process of doing them), but has been working for a couple of years without. I think it's a case by case basis for these sort of things.

Goodluck

Thanks a lot tussy, so I know now it's possible to do a US residency then work in Canada :)

How about the other way around; Canadian residency then US fellowship (provided u have the USMLEs)?

Thanks a lot tussy, so I know now it's possible to do a US residency then work in Canada :)

How about the other way around; Canadian residency then US fellowship (provided u have the USMLEs)?

Definitely an option, however it's getting more difficult to get the necessary Visas. Also, not all require USMLE.

This is an old post lol but have you seen such cases in medical oncology as well? Like doing a residency and oncology fellowship in the USA and then doing a fellowship in oncology in Canada again or rather skipping the oncology fellowship in USA to do the fellowship in Canada right after US residency. Although I don’t have any PR in Canada

This is an old post lol but have you seen such cases in medical oncology as well? Like doing a residency and oncology fellowship in the USA and then doing a fellowship in oncology in Canada again or rather skipping the oncology fellowship in USA to do the fellowship in Canada right after US residency. Although I don’t have any PR in Canada