Future Loma Linda Classmates!!! c/o 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
xdknjx said:
I recently moved and forgot to tell llu my new mailing address so I haven't been recieving anything from them. I know that orientation starts on Aug. 4, but do classes start on the following monday? Thanks!

I assume classes start the following Monday but I have not received any official info on when they actually start. And I don't believe LLU has sent anything out lately so you should be ok.

Members don't see this ad.

montypython said:
I assume classes start the following Monday but I have not received any official info on when they actually start. And I don't believe LLU has sent anything out lately so you should be ok.

thanks!

I just had a question for you all future Loma Linders: congrats on the acceptance, I've heard it's a great school, and I'm sure you guys will all be successful.

However, how in the world are guys going to survive med school without the liqs' and the sex? That's why it was thanks, but not thanks, in applying there even though it's in CA. I would kill myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
dannyl said:
I just had a question for you all future Loma Linders: congrats on the acceptance, I've heard it's a great school, and I'm sure you guys will all be successful.

However, how in the world are guys going to survive med school without the liqs' and the sex? That's why it was thanks, but not thanks, in applying there even though it's in CA. I would kill myself.
I never heard a word from them about sex. What are you talking about?

dannyl said:

actually i know someone you talked to an administrator abotu that, and you can do anything you want Off-campus. so fill those fridges with beer!

Hey guys,

I have a housing proposition for you all. I am living with a couple of students from the class of 2008 next year in a big, yet affordable house, across the street from the medical center and we're looking for two more roommates. We have one single room available with its own entrance, kitchenette, and storage/office on the side of the house and one large double room available inside the main house. We're three laid back guys that enjoy watching sports, movies, and playing video games in our down time. We also have a huge backyard that we plan to hold BBQ's in and possibly paint ball wars. The house is off of campus street, overlooking the medical center and a 5-10 minute walk from the lecture halls. PM me ASAP if you are interested because my roommates are also looking for people in their class as well.

People who have been accepted. I would love to go there just submitted my AMCAS tonight. Do you think it would be benefical to email them after submiting my secondary to make sure they know they are my first choice of school. My GPA is a little low, but EC's are awesome (pro-baseball, D-1 football, etc,) so are LOR. MCAT should be decent if you believe the AAMC practice tests 31-33. Think it would be worth while. thanks and congratulations

jackets5 said:
People who have been accepted. I would love to go there just submitted my AMCAS tonight. Do you think it would be benefical to email them after submiting my secondary to make sure they know they are my first choice of school. My GPA is a little low, but EC's are awesome (pro-baseball, D-1 football, etc,) so are LOR. MCAT should be decent if you believe the AAMC practice tests 31-33. Think it would be worth while. thanks and congratulations

Hmm...honestly, I would wait it out before you tell them that they are you're first choice school. Atleast go on some interviews (I am pretty sure you will get some), and make sure that Loma Linda really is where you want to spend 4 years of your life. Don't be too hasty okay :) ! Who knows, maybe another school will steal your attention, and you'll end up changing your mind. Make sure you have good reasons for why Loma Linda is your first choice, and unless you've visited the school and met with the administration, you won't really know for sure...Maybe someone has a different opinion than mine?? Either way, I wish you all the luck! Everything will end up the way they're supposed to :)

Joe: My financial aid stuff is up on ssweb. I visited Trevor in the Fin. aid office last monday, and he said that they hope to get the med program financial aid done by next week. From the sound of it, they're pretty behind with the med program.

angelinebear said:
Joe: My financial aid stuff is up on ssweb. I visited Trevor in the Fin. aid office last monday, and he said that they hope to get the med program financial aid done by next week. From the sound of it, they're pretty behind with the med program.
Thanks. Mine is still not there, but I'm not worried. Maybe I should call and email them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so they say.

y'all need to check your mail. I got a big envelope today with a bunch of info - class schedule, orientation info, books, equipment, etc.

It mentions something about a letter from the Associate Dean about a white coat ceremony on Aug. 5th. Did any of you get a letter about that? I haven't.

joe6102 said:
y'all need to check your mail. I got a big envelope today with a bunch of info - class schedule, orientation info, books, equipment, etc.

It mentions something about a letter from the Associate Dean about a white coat ceremony on Aug. 5th. Did any of you get a letter about that? I haven't.

Joe,

Thanks for the update, I will keep a look at for the envelope, but I have not heard anything about a white coat ceremony in any of the previous letters.

montypython said:
Joe,

Thanks for the update, I will keep a look out for the envelope, but I have not heard anything about a white coat ceremony in any of the previous letters.
Well I got the letter yesterday. Another big packet with orientation schedule and info. There is a dinner on Aug. 4th and a white coat ceremony on the 5th in the evening.

I sure wish they could have told me about this a month ago. There was absolutely nothing about it on the web site.

joe6102 said:
Well I got the letter yesterday. Another big packet with orientation schedule and info. There is a dinner on Aug. 4th and a white coat ceremony on the 5th in the evening.

I sure wish they could have told me about this a month ago. There was absolutely nothing about it on the web site.

I haven't gotten any packets yet, but then again, I'm 1500 miles away :p DUDE! I love getting letters from Loma Linda! It gets me so excited! :D I also like how even if they send you a one page letter, it comes in a big manila envelope :p ...Maybe it's just me, and I'm wierd :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
angelinebear said:
I haven't gotten any packets yet, but then again, I'm 1500 miles away :p DUDE! I love getting letters from Loma Linda! It gets me so excited! :D I also like how even if they send you a one page letter, it comes in a big manila envelope :p ...Maybe it's just me, and I'm wierd :cool:

I just got both packets today and I live in NorCal, and I also wish they would have sent this info earlier so my family could have had more notice.

montypython said:
I just got both packets today and I live in NorCal, and I also wish they would have sent this info earlier so my family could have had more notice.

I just received mine as well. I wonder how and when our financial aid will be given to us.

angelinebear said:
I just received mine as well. I wonder how and when our financial aid will be given to us.

I finally recieved my packets yesterday. Does anybody know what the 2 weeks of ward experience following the orientation is going to be like?

Anyways, I called the financial aid office on Friday and they said that we should hear from them in a couple of weeks. Vague answer, but they seemed pretty busy since they recently started on the fin. aid packets for the med students. :idea:

congrats! when do you guys start?

I'm an officer of the American Medical Students Association in UC Riverside and was wondering if you guys would like to come down to Riverside this fall to talk to our pre-meds out here about your experiences in undergrad as well as the application process. Loma Linda and Riverside isn't too far, I believe its a 15-20 minute drive to the campus. If you guys are interested please PM me or respond on this thread, thanks!

xdknjx said:
I finally recieved my packets yesterday. Does anybody know what the 2 weeks of ward experience following the orientation is going to be like?

Anyways, I called the financial aid office on Friday and they said that we should hear from them in a couple of weeks. Vague answer, but they seemed pretty busy since they recently started on the fin. aid packets for the med students. :idea:

When I interviewed, I was told that we would be shadowing another 3rd or 4th year med student. I'm not sure if that's what's we're still doing, though. I'm pretty excited about being in the hospital so early!! :D

byeh2004 said:
congrats! when do you guys start?

I'm an officer of the American Medical Students Association in UC Riverside and was wondering if you guys would like to come down to Riverside this fall to talk to our pre-meds out here about your experiences in undergrad as well as the application process. Loma Linda and Riverside isn't too far, I believe its a 15-20 minute drive to the campus. If you guys are interested please PM me or respond on this thread, thanks!

Orientation starts Aug. 4.

I'm thinking you might need to talk to the admissions people about sending representatives from LLU to your school just because of all the red tape that comes with these types of appointments (but I'm sure you already knew that). Once you get the go ahead, though, let us know! :thumbup:

angelinebear said:
When I interviewed, I was told that we would be shadowing another 3rd or 4th year med student. I'm not sure if that's what's we're still doing, though. I'm pretty excited about being in the hospital so early!! :D

I think it's great that we get to spend the first 2 weeks in the hospital. I'm just wondering if we'll be shadowing from 8-5 and then we're free for the rest of the day. If that's the case, the first 2 weeks would the best time for friends to visit before classes start. Just a thought :rolleyes:

xdknjx said:

Yeah, I emailed them and they said I would hear "shortly". I'm just glad I'm not the only one who hasn't heard about financial aid.

As for the ward experience, it will be great to get to know our way around the hospital and the campus and meet a lot of people, but MS3's won't know much more about what's going on that us.

:hardy:
xdknjx said:
I think it's great that we get to spend the first 2 weeks in the hospital. I'm just wondering if we'll be shadowing from 8-5 and then we're free for the rest of the day. If that's the case, the first 2 weeks would the best time for friends to visit before classes start. Just a thought :rolleyes:

DITTO! :p

Hello for all those accepted to LLU, could you give me an idea what the 2005-2006 student budget is like (tuition, fees, housing). Thanks!

pyra said:
Hello for all those accepted to LLU, could you give me an idea what the 2005-2006 student budget is like (tuition, fees, housing). Thanks!

Budget Component Amount
Tuition $31,692.00
Enrollment Fee $1,808.00
Books and Supplies $3,200.00
Room and Board $9,075.00
Personal Expenses $1,540.00
Transportation $3,465.00
Total: $50,780.00

joe6102 said:
Budget Component Amount
Tuition $31,692.00
Enrollment Fee $1,808.00
Books and Supplies $3,200.00
Room and Board $9,075.00
Personal Expenses $1,540.00
Transportation $3,465.00
Total: $50,780.00

How nice, thank you!

has anyone found any info on LLU residency placement histories? seems so hard to find....

thanks!

stretched said:
has anyone found any info on LLU residency placement histories? seems so hard to find....

thanks!

I don't know of info concerning residency placement histories for LLU, but I noticed that you got the call from Dr. Nyirady. CONGRATS!!! I can't wait to finally put faces to names!

hey thanks angelinebear!

Was wondering if anyone knew what the 1st year courses for LLU were, and what the typical lecture/ lab schedules were.

The school web page kinda leave much to be desired

stretched said:
hey thanks angelinebear!

Was wondering if anyone knew what the 1st year courses for LLU were, and what the typical lecture/ lab schedules were.

The school web page kinda leave much to be desired
I'm sure you'll be getting a couple of big packets soon with all of that information. They changed up the curriculum this year. It doesn't look like there are specific classes that meet on the same times every week, with the exception of anatomy. The anatomy lab is every Friday I think. I've got all that info at home, so if you're going crazy wanting to know, send me a PM and I'll scan it in.

Still no word on financial aid. Is anyone else still waiting like me? It seems to be getting late - we'll be in the hospital 4 weeks from Monday.

joe6102 said:
Still no word on financial aid. Is anyone else still waiting like me? It seems to be getting late - we'll be in the hospital 4 weeks from Monday.

i haven't heard a thing either :thumbdown:

Are any of you guys gunna buy a car when you get to loma linda? I'm coming from NJ so i'm looking to buy a used car and am trying to figure out what to do since I've never gone through this process before. Please email me at [email protected] if anybody knows/or will also be going through this. Thanks :)

xdknjx said:
i haven't heard a thing either :thumbdown:
Finally mine's on there, with a nice little institutional loan as well. I might not need alternative loans at all.

Check your snail mail everyone. This one needs a reply soon :D

Any update on what the class schedule looks like with the new curriculum??

Hello to all my future LLU classmates!

I just finished moving into the dorm and checking out the beautiful campus that will soon be home to all of us! I just wanted to pass along the information that I got while I was out there!

For those that haven't seen the campus (this was my first time!) It is really quite nice, with lots of sun and palm trees everywhere. The place seems well kept and everyone seems to be very friendly and nice! The girls dorm leaves a little to be desired, but they are doing major renovations and so hopefully the will be a bit more modern soon! The girls dorms are air conditioned so that definately helps! The weather was very warm when I was down there, with temps getting close to the upper 90's!

When I was on campus, I made a visit to student services and received a list of things I could complete before we have our orientation on the fourth. Some things are obviously not able to be done unless you make an early visit to campus, but others can. I thought I would pass it on so that you guys can get a head start! Be sure and call records to make sure all of your undergrad transcripts have been received. You can also call and talk to financial aid and student health. You will want to make sure you are cleared so that you don't have any delays in getting your money or books. Financial aid was very helpful with my questions and was able to adress my concerns as far as how the money is distributed and how the whole system works. There are two banks right there on campus that you can use if you want the school to direct depoist your living loan money there. Or you can continue to use your hometown bank as well.
One of the first things you want to do when you get to campus is get a temporary parking pass so that you can park in their student lots. If you don't, you will get a lovely ticket for thirty bucks! Once we get our photos taken for our student Id's as well as our badges for the hospital we can get our permanent ones.
Speaking of the hospital I was able to look around a bit. It seems very nice, with lots of modern facilities and the entire staff seemed very friendly and nice. The cafeteria left a little to be desired, but I suppose that none of us will have time to eat anyway :laugh: It is true though, you won't find any meat or caffeine anywhere on campus, so if you are having a pepsi or mountain dew craving, you will have to get one somewhere else!!
It was really exciting being on campus and actually getting a feel for what we will be experiencing in the next few years! Just out of curiousity, how many of you are going to that "personalities" workshop on wenesday the third before orientation starts? I thought it might be a helpful thing to attend, plus since I will be on campus with not much else to do, I figured why not! Well, I hope you are all enjoying your last few weeks of freedom! Can't wait to meet you all! :)

CaliforniaBound said:

I just finished moving into the dorm and checking out the beautiful campus that will soon be home to all of us! I just wanted to pass along the information that I got while I was out there!

For those that haven't seen the campus (this was my first time!) It is really quite nice, with lots of sun and palm trees everywhere. The place seems well kept and everyone seems to be very friendly and nice! The girls dorm leaves a little to be desired, but they are doing major renovations and so hopefully the will be a bit more modern soon! The girls dorms are air conditioned so that definately helps! The weather was very warm when I was down there, with temps getting close to the upper 90's!

When I was on campus, I made a visit to student services and received a list of things I could complete before we have our orientation on the fourth. Some things are obviously not able to be done unless you make an early visit to campus, but others can. I thought I would pass it on so that you guys can get a head start! Be sure and call records to make sure all of your undergrad transcripts have been received. You can also call and talk to financial aid and student health. You will want to make sure you are cleared so that you don't have any delays in getting your money or books. Financial aid was very helpful with my questions and was able to adress my concerns as far as how the money is distributed and how the whole system works. There are two banks right there on campus that you can use if you want the school to direct depoist your living loan money there. Or you can continue to use your hometown bank as well.
One of the first things you want to do when you get to campus is get a temporary parking pass so that you can park in their student lots. If you don't, you will get a lovely ticket for thirty bucks! Once we get our photos taken for our student Id's as well as our badges for the hospital we can get our permanent ones.
Speaking of the hospital I was able to look around a bit. It seems very nice, with lots of modern facilities and the entire staff seemed very friendly and nice. The cafeteria left a little to be desired, but I suppose that none of us will have time to eat anyway :laugh: It is true though, you won't find any meat or caffeine anywhere on campus, so if you are having a pepsi or mountain dew craving, you will have to get one somewhere else!!
It was really exciting being on campus and actually getting a feel for what we will be experiencing in the next few years! Just out of curiousity, how many of you are going to that "personalities" workshop on wenesday the third before orientation starts? I thought it might be a helpful thing to attend, plus since I will be on campus with not much else to do, I figured why not! Well, I hope you are all enjoying your last few weeks of freedom! Can't wait to meet you all! :)

Hey roomie! :p I might go to that personality workshop thing on wednesday!

CaliforniaBound said:

For those that haven't seen the campus (this was my first time!)

i'm confused ... i couldn't help but notice that you are an LLU student but this was your first visit? did you not have to go to an interview there? i guess i find it hard to imagine that someone would choose to to somewhere without checking it out, first. but i am glad you liked what you saw. (trust me, you will love the area a LOT more after the summer. autumn, winter, spring are way nicer than summer (ugh!) in the inland empire. but the good news is... there is no humidity and it cools down at night! ;)

billybama said:
i'm confused ... i couldn't help but notice that you are an LLU student but this was your first visit? did you not have to go to an interview there? i guess i find it hard to imagine that someone would choose to to somewhere without checking it out, first. but i am glad you liked what you saw. (trust me, you will love the area a LOT more after the summer. autumn, winter, spring are way nicer than summer (ugh!) in the inland empire. but the good news is... there is no humidity and it cools down at night! ;)

Because I went to an adventist college I never had to go visit the school because they come and inteview you. So I never got the chance to go visit. However growing up as a member of the church I knew about LLU and had a lot of friends who went there. I was positive it was where I wanted to go before I even applied. I wanted a christian medical education so for me the choice was obvious! I do the love the area though. The smog was terrible when I was there, but I heard it does get better! Only about three weeks to go guys!!!

CaliforniaBound said:
Because I went to an adventist college I never had to go visit the school because they come and inteview you. So I never got the chance to go visit. However growing up as a member of the church I knew about LLU and had a lot of friends who went there. I was positive it was where I wanted to go before I even applied. I wanted a christian medical education so for me the choice was obvious! I do the love the area though. The smog was terrible when I was there, but I heard it does get better! Only about three weeks to go guys!!!

the smog IS terrible but it DOES go away and, in fact, is not an issue for 3/4 of the year. every summer i say i wish i lived elsewhere, and every rest of the year i think i wouldn't want to live anywhere else. you just have to get through the summer. however, if it gets really REALLY hot in the summer, the smog goes away! can't take the heat, i guess. you will love the fall-winter (kinda one season) with pretty colored leaves and snow-capped mountains. you will love everything but summer so don't get discouraged when you first move (summer lasts until mid october and then all of a sudden it is autumn--nothing gradual about it!)

and while loma linda may not be in the most ideal location, it is less than an hour from everything that is! (the only place you can live where you can ski, surf, and ride a dune buggy

billybama said:
the smog IS terrible but it DOES go away and, in fact, is not an issue for 3/4 of the year. every summer i say i wish i lived elsewhere, and every rest of the year i think i wouldn't want to live anywhere else. you just have to get through the summer. however, if it gets really REALLY hot in the summer, the smog goes away! can't take the heat, i guess. you will love the fall-winter (kinda one season) with pretty colored leaves and snow-capped mountains. you will love everything but summer so don't get discouraged when you first move (summer lasts until mid october and then all of a sudden it is autumn--nothing gradual about it!)

and while loma linda may not be in the most ideal location, it is less than an hour from everything that is! (the only place you can live where you can ski, surf, and ride a dune buggy

Less than an hour from everything is key...far away enough to avoid major traffic (most of the time) but close enough to do anything and everything

Hello Everyone, I just came off the waitlist and will be joining you this fall. I am really excited to meet all of you at orientation. I was wondering if anyone knows what time orientation begins on Thursday (8/4/05)? When are you guys buying your books and from where? I haven't received a packet yet so I am in the dark a little.

Good for you man, that is awesome. When did you hear, today? I am still waiting, but not with much hope.

Good luck to you

gojonn said:
Hello Everyone, I just came off the waitlist and will be joing you this fall. I am really excited to meet all of you at orientation. I was wondering if anyone knows what time orientation begins on Thursday (8/4/05)? When are you guys buying your books and from where? I haven't received a packet yet so I am in the dark a little.
Congrats, look forward to meeting you too! I think orientation starts at 8:00 am, someone correct me if I'm wrong. As for the books, I'm going to wait and see which ones we really need, then I'll compare prices with the bookstore/internet and see if any ms2's are selling theirs.

I hope you already live around there...could be tough getting housing and everything set up in 2 weeks.

joe6102 said:
Congrats, look forward to meeting you too! I think orientation starts at 8:00 am, someone correct me if I'm wrong. As for the books, I'm going to wait and see which ones we really need, then I'll compare prices with the bookstore/internet and see if any ms2's are selling theirs.

I hope you already live around there...could be tough getting housing and everything set up in 2 weeks.

Congrats, gojonn! Joe's right. The day starts at 8. :p

thanks you guys. See you all then!

hey guys! 1 more week till school starts! :clap: How exciting is that?! :p