Future Loma Linda Classmates!!! c/o 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliforniaBound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that have been accepted into LLU, I thought it might be nice to get to know one another. After all, we will be seeing a lot of eachother between all the classes, labs, and EC's! I'm moving from the state of Nebraska, where I currently live. I went to school there, so that is why I'm living here; trust me, it's not by choice! I'm origionally from Colorado. I graduated with a degree in Biology in May of 2004. I'm super excited about moving to LLU, but not excited about how expensive everything is! I guess I've just been spoiled living in a cheap state! What are some of the things you guys are looking forward to? I know I can't wait to go to the beach, and get a better tan! Also all the outdoor activities look great...but doesn't look like we will be having that much time! So when is everyone moving out there? What are everyone's living arrangements? I don't know yet...I'm looking for a roomate but it's hard when you don't know anyone! I think I'm moving out the middleish of July...but we will see! Well, can't wait to meet y'all!

CaliforniaBound
LLU class of 2009 :love:

Members don't see this ad.

All right!!! A Loma Linda thread! I think there are only a handful of us on SDN. I can't wait to start school! I'm in west LA, and I'll be moving to LLU in mid-July. My rent will actually be going down quite a bit! I'd love to have a roommate, but I'm looking for someone who is very clean to share a nice 2-bedroom apartment.

I don't know about the beach. We'll find out soon enough how unhealthy a tan is. I'm more excited about being close to some great golf courses that aren't quite as expensive as I usually play.

I was wondering - is everyone going to have a laptop? I think I'm going to buy one. Also, have you mailed in your transcripts yet? Did you send them to the office of admissions? Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer those.

YAY! Hey guys! I'm from Texas, so I'm moving to California by August 1st. I think that most likely I'll be living in a dorm. Just because Cali is expensive and I have to make car payments and everything. BLECH! I'm sooo looking forward to playing tennis in their awesome facilities! I love the weather in California, too! and...I'm looking forward to seeing everyone come August! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey what's up everyone. I went to college around Boston and have been working here for a year. I'll probably head out to Cali a week before orientation and might be living with a cousin in the area but not sure yet. Currently i'm trying to figure out travel plans abroad this summer just to relax and have fun :D Do you guys think we'll need laptops during school? I'm debating if I should get one or not. Anyways, can't wait to move out to the west coast!

joe6102 said:
AAlso, have you mailed in your transcripts yet? Did you send them to the office of admissions?

I got my transcript sent to the admissions office. Hopefully it's going to the right place :laugh:

xdknjx said:
I got my transcript sent to the admissions office. Hopefully it's going to the right place :laugh:
Yeah, well I wasn't too clear on where to send them. Sounds like there are several Texans here. I went to college there, then I left as fast as I could. Just kidding, but I do like southern california more. The weather is great, but we pay good money for it in apartment rent!

I just had a quick question for you all going to Loma Linda. How do you guys handle the religious aspect of the school? That is to say, are you all 7th Day Adventists, Christians, or did you decide to attend simply because it was a good school and you had no qualms with the Christian ideals?

phunkeyfantom said:
I just had a quick question for you all going to Loma Linda. How do you guys handle the religious aspect of the school? That is to say, are you all 7th Day Adventists, Christians, or did you decide to attend simply because it was a good school and you had no qualms with the Christian ideals?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's about 50% SDA. I'm not, although I am a Christian, and the religous aspect certainly factored into my decision. But I wouldn't be going if it didn't have incredible facilities, faculty, research, and location. They have a ton of residencies there, too, so if I want to go into ortho, optha, derm, rads, or plastics, well I don't have to leave the town to rotate through one of them.

I'd be surprised if there are many who aren't Christian. They probably wouldn't want to apply, and LLU probably wouldn't want to accept them. But that's just IMHO.

I've just received a letter from LLU regarding the financial aid pin notification. With the pin number, I am able to access Loma Linda Online Services. Does this mean that I'm in already since they actually have a student # ID for me already? Or am I being excited too early. I hope this is a good sign. I was interviewed only 2 weeks ago, so I suppose it may be just a false alarm. Please post your thoughts. thanks.

Jane2005 said:
I've just received a letter from LLU regarding the financial aid pin notification. With the pin number, I am able to access Loma Linda Online Services. Does this mean that I'm in already since they actually have a student # ID for me already? Or am I being excited too early. I hope this is a good sign. I was interviewed only 2 weeks ago, so I suppose it may be just a false alarm. Please post your thoughts. thanks.

I received that same financial aid letter about two months ago and I still haven't heard anything. You could be accepted but I don't think the letter is an indicator of that.

Hey guys,

I am moving from Northern California but I am originally from Houston, TX. I fly back to Houston once a year so I consider it my second home. I actually lived in Loma Linda a while back and still have family in the area. Anways, I plan on moving down there around the end of July and will probably live in a house/apartment with the dorm as a back up plan. I look forward to hearing more updates and seeing you guys in the Fall.

Does anyone know if LLU has a white coat ceremony? I didn't see it on the academic calendar or in any of my paperwork, so I'm thinking not. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks

joe6102 said:
Does anyone know if LLU has a white coat ceremony? I didn't see it on the academic calendar or in any of my paperwork, so I'm thinking not. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks
Nevermind, I just surfed into this:

http://www.llu.edu/news/today/july2904/sm.html

"The Loma Linda University School of Medicine class of 2006 held the first white coat ceremony for a medical student class since the inception of the University. The June 29 event commemorates the students' transition from the basic science years to the clinical years of their education."

Members don't see this ad :)
A week without any posts? Where are my future classmates and what will you be doing this summer? I've got a job, so I'll be working until mid-July to save up a little money.
Do any of you play golf or watch college football?

I live for college sports, football and basketball included, the same goes for pro football and basketball as well. I haven't been up to much the past few months except for working part time on campus. I graduated a quarter early and only had one class Winter quarter so I essentially have an unofficial year off. I enjoy my free time so I probably won't be looking for a full time summer job.

joe6102 said:
A week without any posts? Where are my future classmates and what will you be doing this summer? I've got a job, so I'll be working until mid-July to save up a little money.
Do any of you play golf or watch college football?

When I applied last year, I took a look at the Loma Linda secondary and was a bit startled. Do you guys really abstain from smoking and drinking all the time? Do they run drug tests on students? Will they kick you out if you get "caught"?

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'm just curious is all.

I have 3 more weeks of working in Boston and i'm moving back to NJ with my parents until I move to LLU at the end of july. I'm also trying to plan a trip to mexico, but can't decide where. Don't want to go to mexico city and cancun, but possibly puerto vallarta. Any suggestions?

sga814 said:
When I applied last year, I took a look at the Loma Linda secondary and was a bit startled. Do you guys really abstain from smoking and drinking all the time? Do they run drug tests on students? Will they kick you out if you get "caught"?

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'm just curious is all.

well...I'm adventist, so the secondary wasn't too bad for me. I promise..we're not as bad as some people make us out to be, and I'd like to think they don't go as far a running drug tests on students :p

I don't smoke or drink. It's a lifestyle/ beliefs thing for me, however, I don't look down on people who do.

In the end, you are an adult, and I'm sure that the professors and deans of Loma Linda recognize that, and they will treat you as an adult. People come to realize that adventists are not as strict as many people think they are :)

oh yeah! and this summer...I will be chillaxin' in a condo in the mountains of lovely southern California...about 55 miles away from LLU... compliments of my aunt :hardy:

Does anyone play tennis?

Just wondering where y'all went? :) Anyone hear anything new in the last few weeks? I heard that LLU is now sending out their rejection letters. Apparently the May adcom is pretty much it, but that is just what I heard through the grapevine! Are you guys getting exciting about starting? I found out who are anatomy teacher is going to be. Apparenly he is from Boulder Colorado. He is a surgeon out there and is an allumnis of the school. He flies out to LLU every year for the first quarter to teach the M1's their anatomy. He sounds like a really cool guy! I'm glad it's someone nice....it will be helpful when I have a million and one questions about things! I believe his name is Dr. Nicolai...don't hold me to the spelling??? Anyways, hope everyone is doing well. Can't wait to meet y'all! :)

CaliforniaBound said:
Just wondering where y'all went? :) Anyone hear anything new in the last few weeks? I heard that LLU is now sending out their rejection letters. Apparently the May adcom is pretty much it, but that is just what I heard through the grapevine! Are you guys getting exciting about starting? I found out who are anatomy teacher is going to be. Apparenly he is from Boulder Colorado. He is a surgeon out there and is an allumnis of the school. He flies out to LLU every year for the first quarter to teach the M1's their anatomy. He sounds like a really cool guy! I'm glad it's someone nice....it will be helpful when I have a million and one questions about things! I believe his name is Dr. Nicolai...don't hold me to the spelling??? Anyways, hope everyone is doing well. Can't wait to meet y'all! :)
I haven't heard a peep from them. Still waiting on my financial aid award so I can plan my housing situation. I went looking last week and found some nice 2/2 apartments for around $1000-1200/month, so if anyone is interested in a roommate drop me a PM and we'll see if we're compatible.

I'm definitely excited! It's hard to stay motivated at my job when I know I'll be leaving in 6-8 weeks. I'm really looking forward to anatomy. I sure hope the teacher is a nice guy because I've never had an anatomy class.

for those of you who sent your transcripts, graduation was last Saturday, and the degrees that we graduated with won't be on our transcripts until June. For those who just graduated, did you wait till your degree was on your transcript, or just your grades?

joe6102 said:
I haven't heard a peep from them. Still waiting on my financial aid award so I can plan my housing situation. I went looking last week and found some nice 2/2 apartments for around $1000-1200/month, so if anyone is interested in a roommate drop me a PM and we'll see if we're compatible.

I'm definitely excited! It's hard to stay motivated at my job when I know I'll be leaving in 6-8 weeks. I'm really looking forward to anatomy. I sure hope the teacher is a nice guy because I've never had an anatomy class.

Has anyone got any financial aid info yet... And does anyone how many scholarships LLU gives out? I turned down a military scholarship because I don't want to mortgage my future for the present but now I am worried that I might have made the wrong decision.

montypython said:
Has anyone got any financial aid info yet... And does anyone how many scholarships LLU gives out? I turned down a military scholarship because I don't want to mortgage my future for the present but now I am worried that I might have made the wrong decision.

I haven't gotten any financial aid info yet, but I called, and the guy in the financial aid office told me that we should hear around the end of May and early June. Hope that helps! I can't wait to meet ya'll! :D

angelinebear said:
I haven't gotten any financial aid info yet, but I called, and the guy in the financial aid office told me that we should hear around the end of May and early June. Hope that helps! I can't wait to meet ya'll! :D
I am on the waitlist and really hope I get in. I am a california native and hope to stay out west, if not its off to St. Louis or Tulane. Did any of you get appected off the waiting list? If so, how did they tell you?

Thanks, Jimmy

jbm44 said:
I am on the waitlist and really hope I get in. I am a california native and hope to stay out west, if not its off to St. Louis or Tulane. Did any of you get appected off the waiting list? If so, how did they tell you?

Thanks, Jimmy

I was just wondering when you received your waitlist letter?

paceac said:
I was just wondering when you received your waitlist letter?
I got it about a month ago, so kinda later on..

Its hard to tell what's up with Loma Linda sometimes, they keep a close wrap on their details. I don't know how long the offer acceptances till or how many students they wait-list, etc.

We'll see, when did you get yours? Have you heard anything other than receiving the financial aid letter?

jbm44 said:
I got it about a month ago, so kinda later on..

Its hard to tell what's up with Loma Linda sometimes, they keep a close wrap on their details. I don't know how long the offer acceptances till or how many students they wait-list, etc.

We'll see, when did you get yours? Have you heard anything other than receiving the financial aid letter?

Well, I haven't received a waitlist letter. I haven't heard anything yet. I don't know whether at this point to interpret that as a rejection. I did however receive the financial aid information in February. You are right; LLU really doesn't let out any of the details of the whole process. I hope you hear something soon.

paceac said:
Well, I haven't received a waitlist letter. I haven't heard anything yet. I don't know whether at this point to interpret that as a rejection. I did however receive the financial aid information in February. You are right; LLU really doesn't let out any of the details of the whole process. I hope you hear something soon.

Yeah Im in the same boat as you, Paceac, I interviewed mid-April and haven't heard from them since. I also received the financial aid stuff as well. I tried calling on Tuesday, but all they could tell me was that my file was still under review and that they'd notify me as soon as they made a decision. So i guess we still gotta wait.

flowerence said:
Yeah Im in the same boat as you, Paceac, I interviewed mid-April and haven't heard from them since. I also received the financial aid stuff as well. I tried calling on Tuesday, but all they could tell me was that my file was still under review and that they'd notify me as soon as they made a decision. So i guess we still gotta wait.

I think you're right. Like you said, all I have been told when I have called is that my file is under review and they will notify me when a decision is made. I wonder what LLU is waiting for to make a decision. They aren't interviewing anymore and everyone who has been granted an acceptance should have responded by now. I'm guessing we will receive something in the mail next week.

Sorry guys. Didn't mean to steal the "future Loma Linda classmates" thread. I think we should move this discussion back to "interviews at Loma Linda".

just asking for a friend, what is the matriculation rate for Loma Linda? (accepted/applied) Is there a website link refering to this information?

I think it is around 8% bro, but I'm not sure. They are pretty tight lipped about stuff sometimes.

Do any of you know if the athletic complex if free for students and spouses? I think I heard something like that and hope its true...

Have a good day

jbm44 said:
I think it is around 8% bro, but I'm not sure. They are pretty tight lipped about stuff sometimes.

Do any of you know if the athletic complex if free for students and spouses? I think I heard something like that and hope its true...

Have a good day

The fee with probably be included into your tuition and fees, and I'm pretty sure that the fees are mandatory, Atleast that's how it was at my undergrad. So, all in all...it should be free to students and spouses. :) I do know, however, that you have to pay for any aerobics classes or trainers if you want them.

Has anyone heard anything from Loma Linda lately after getting the letter about immunizations?

I am just hoping to hear off the waitlist first, it sucks

angelinebear said:
The fee with probably be included into your tuition and fees, and I'm pretty sure that the fees are mandatory, Atleast that's how it was at my undergrad. So, all in all...it should be free to students and spouses. :) I do know, however, that you have to pay for any aerobics classes or trainers if you want them.

Has anyone heard anything from Loma Linda lately after getting the letter about immunizations?

okay...so I just called then because you made me wonder myself :p . The lady said that full-time students at Loma Linda don't have to pay for a membership. Concerning the membership fees for spouses, their website says that your spouse can apply for a membership ID card at no fee, but you need to show your marriage certificate and you need to be with her at the time she is applying. The fees for your spouse and you will be included in your student fees (which is mandatory). YAY! :D

Good luck jbm44! Hopefully some good news will come your way!! keep calling them and sending in letters or new recommendations or whatever. Just let them know you're still totally interested :)

thanks for the info, that helps out alot.

I have written two update emails and called a few times to show them I really, really want to go to school there. I'm not sure if there has been any movement of the waitlist yet...

I am going to call today and see if the girl (I forgot her name...she is really nice) will give me any info. I should know her on a first name basis by now after all I've tried to talk her this spring. Anyways, thanks again and I hope to be studying with you in the fall.

jbm44 said:
thanks for the info, that helps out alot.

I have written two update emails and called a few times to show them I really, really want to go to school there. I'm not sure if there has been any movement of the waitlist yet...

I am going to call today and see if the girl (I forgot her name...she is really nice) will give me any info. I should know her on a first name basis by now after all I've tried to talk her this spring. Anyways, thanks again and I hope to be studying with you in the fall.

Hang in there...keep up with the updates because the adcom does keep an unofficial track of your emails, phone calls, and letters...I called a couple times and when the Dean called to tell me I was accepted he referenced to a conversation I had with Ms. Edwards. Good Luck and I hope to see you in the Fall

My financial aid package is up now online so I assume you all can check yours by loggin in at the LLU website.

joe6102 said:

Mine isn't up. The only thing I need to complete on that site is the proof of citizenship, and the financial aid people they said that they needed my original passport, and not a copy. I talked to a couple of people in the Fin. aid office, and they said that a copy would do for now until I go over there next week. I hope they don't put my award stuff on hold because of it.

I know orientation starts Aug. 4, but does anyone know when classes begin?

Anyone heard anything thats on the waitlist for Loma Linda...?

Last year, it didn't seem like there was much movement until the first of July. All I know is that the sooner the better, I'm dying here

Anyone get anything from Loma Linda yet (financial aid, academic calendar, etc)? Is everyone on vacation?? haha :p

angelinebear said:
Anyone get anything from Loma Linda yet (financial aid, academic calendar, etc)? Is everyone on vacation?? haha :p

Still nothing on the website? It should be there now if you log in, the financial aid office told me that it should all be up by the end of May.

montypython said:
Still nothing on the website? It should be there now if you log in, the financial aid office told me that it should all be up by the end of May.

argghhh!!! still nothing. I has up how much I will be needing for 1st year, but no award info. This blows big fat chunks! :mad:

angelinebear said:
argghhh!!! still nothing. I has up how much I will be needing for 1st year, but no award info. This blows big fat chunks! :mad:

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Where did you find it, montypython?

The Financial Award info should be up now. Mine came in a couple days ago. Under student resources there should be a place where you can view the financial aid app. Once that is complete there should be a place where they have the award info. My award wasn't that great. A small scholarship was awarded but the majority of my help is through the good old loans! Can anyone believe how expensive it is! My budget is 50;000 a year! Guess it's a good thing we will be getting a good salary when we are done with all of this! Be sure that all the financial info is in before july 27 or they will charge you a late fee. For those that are waitlisted you can still complete the financial aid info and then when you get accepted they can give you clearance so you don't have to have the additional late fee. Can't wait to see you all! Just about two months now! :)

I called them today and told the guy I was an incomming 1st year for medicine, and he said that he hopes to get them all up by this week. He said that they probably didn't get to mine yet. hmmm...I'll be there next week anyways, so if I don't get it by Friday, then I can ask them in person on Monday i suppose.

angelinebear said:
I called them today and told the guy I was an incomming 1st year for medicine, and he said that he hopes to get them all up by this week. He said that they probably didn't get to mine yet. hmmm...I'll be there next week anyways, so if I don't get it by Friday, then I can ask them in person on Monday i suppose.
Are you all looking under the award information menu on ssweb? Mine is still not there either.

Only 6 more weeks of work, then a short vacation before school starts!

joe6102 said:
Are you all looking under the award information menu on ssweb? Mine is still not there either.

Only 6 more weeks of work, then a short vacation before school starts!

Yes. I'm looking on the awards info on ssweb. We're on the same boat, joe6102! Let me know when yours is up and I'll do the same, k! :)

angelinebear said:
Yes. I'm looking on the awards info on ssweb. We're on the same boat, joe6102! Let me know when yours is up and I'll do the same, k! :)
Sounds good! Although I didn't get all of my paperwork in until a couple of weeks past the deadline, so it could be a while longer for me.

I recently moved and forgot to tell llu my new mailing address so I haven't been recieving anything from them. I know that orientation starts on Aug. 4, but do classes start on the following monday? Thanks!