From enrolled MD to MD/PH.D. How hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nuclearrabbit

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody applied to an MD/PH.D program, after matriculating as an MD? Is it easier to get into a program at a university if you've been accepted to the MD program already? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I hear, it's much, much easier in general. I imagine it might be more difficult at some programs, but I think at the majority it's super easy compared to external admissions.

I was accepted into the MD program at the University of Maryland and joined the MD/PhD program at the beginning of my second year. I would say getting in to the MD/PhD was a lot less stressful for me than for most of the candidates who apply through the normal track... I did lose out on the free first year, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by conrad:
•I was accepted into the MD program at the University of Maryland and joined the MD/PhD program at the beginning of my second year. I would say getting in to the MD/PhD was a lot less stressful for me than for most of the candidates who apply through the normal track... I did lose out on the free first year, though.•••••Were you able to get letters of recommendation from people at Maryland, even though you probably weren't there for very long since applications are due so early? Any other tips?

Um, let's see, my recs were from my previous research advisors (as far back as high school), and I did have a couple of (clinical) professors that I got to know when I was working in the ED over the summer, and a research professor at Maryland whom I worked with over the summer.

I think the most important aspects are to get to know the MD/PhD director well, and get his or her opinion on how likely or easy it would be to enter the program after first year. Show your interest, and I would also suggest trying to figure out what you're interested in early, so that when you DO interview, you can say, I want to do this project with this advisor in this amount of time. In my case, I think that showing the committee sincere interest in the program as well as having a plan and goals to achieve benefited my overall application.

Conrad,

So you got a head start by working at maryland the summer before your first year?

I'm staying on with my current job, hoping to get a first author out of this. Hopefully it'll turn out. Thanks for the advice :D