Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Starting my potential new career tonight- working a few concerts this weekend (a Led Zeppelin cover band!) as security!

zoom in patrick swayze GIF

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I basically got paid to see a show. Our training was basically "stand somewhere or walk around, don't be the 'fun police', and basically don't really feel the need to do anything unless someone looks like they are going to bad Seriously injured. "Crowd was mainly 60yo+ and know how to have a good time without getting too stupid. Only crowd interaction was some slightly drunk okder woman asking how far down near the stage should could go (my answer- "as far as you can get"), and another guy asking me if I could ask some people who were dancing to sit down (my answer- "no, it's a rock and roll show and I'm not going to tell people not to dance").

Band played good songs very competently (though I really don't understand the appeal of cover/tribute bands and the people who go crazy like it was actually Plant, Page, Jones, and Bonzo). Got to wear a cool yellow "Security" windbreaker. My son did it with me, and some "old guys" (which to him means anone over 30) offered to trade some weed for his jacket! That actually dates those guys a bit, as there are about a dozen recreational dispensaries in my town of ~25000 people- pot is just not the commodity it used to be.

Second show tonight. Should be a bit more crowded- 1000 or so, compared with 700 last night. Maybe some more excitement tonight, but I still think I'll keep the day job (though I will make more in two shows than what that other poster is being offered to do EI autism assessments in NYC)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got slapped around on the unit for the first time today, hadn't even had my coffee yet. Took myself to the Les Misérables tour which just left town yesterday (had never seen it before). Waiting & wishing to be medically cleared re: Peace Corps. Things are good. Happy Friday!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Got slapped around on the unit for the first time today, hadn't even had my coffee yet. Took myself to the Les Misérables tour which just left town yesterday (had never seen it before). Waiting & wishing to be medically cleared re: Peace Corps. Things are good. Happy Friday!
love the Peace Corps progress! not the slapping around
last day of winter break, attending a webinar this morning, spring classes begin monday
happy friday!

• Love

It took you too long to see Les Mis. Still my favorite....

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
love the Peace Corps progress! not the slapping around
last day of winter break, attending a webinar this morning, spring classes begin monday
happy friday!
Thank you! Waiting is torture. Happy Spring!

It took you too long to see Les Mis. Still my favorite....
I agree, it was very good. I was begrudgingly against musicals until someone forced me to watch the Disney+ recording of Hamilton last year (which is still my favorite score-wise and story-wise, despite being somewhat lacking conceptually, in my taste). But yes- 'Master of the House' is still stuck in my head!

Looking like a pretty frigid weekend up here in the people's republic of Western Massachusetts. I'll probably catch up on some Marx and Engels and then throw on the old Dead Kennedys albums while I refine my plans for taking guns away from and redistributing the wealth of hard working Americans of Northern European decent... Oh, sorry- I forgot what thread I was posting to. I'll probably just catch up on some grading and reports, go to the dump, maybe cook a grilled cheese sandwich. Yeah, that's what I'll do;)

• Haha
Looking like a pretty frigid weekend up here in the people's republic of Western Massachusetts. I'll probably catch up on some Marx and Engels and then throw on the old Dead Kennedys albums while I refine my plans for taking guns away from and redistributing the wealth of hard working Americans of Northern European decent... Oh, sorry- I forgot what thread I was posting to. I'll probably just catch up on some grading and reports, go to the dump, maybe cook a grilled cheese sandwich. Yeah, that's what I'll do;)

So, the question becomes what will you be taking to the dump? :lol:

By the way, you can't have my guns...because I don't own any.

Members don't see this ad :)
Veteran cancelled 7 min before session. Guess, I have some extra time off.

Laundry day + grading. Our dept is wanting us to more and more use video or audio recorded assignments rather over written papers. Its interesting. I like the principle of students having multiple ways to participate throhgout the course and demonstrate and apply knowledge, but... its a little weird for everyone still.

Look what we found while looking for some cool rocks
Also, my espresso machine broke. I'm sad.
Oh no! What machine did you have? Some specialize in fixing them online.

I am a huge fan of the aeropress if you want something close, forgiving, and easier than espresso.

End of the week, and the beginning of submitting applications for Prac sites/grants. 🙃

On the bright side, I'm getting dinner during a special event going on in my city. Gonna be a lot of good food and drink for cheap.

Also, I got a french press yesterday because I had a lot of coffee bags that I never opened. Did you know that old coffee tastes terrible?

End of the week, and the beginning of submitting applications for Prac sites/grants. 🙃

On the bright side, I'm getting dinner during a special event going on in my city. Gonna be a lot of good food and drink for cheap.

Also, I got a french press yesterday because I had a lot of coffee bags that I never opened. Did you know that old coffee tastes terrible?

Yeah...I toss out a bag if it's longer than a week. I have a couple of presses myself plus a good coffee grinder.

Yeah...I toss out a bag if it's longer than a week. I have a couple of presses myself plus a good coffee grinder.
I've read that the best way to go about it is by grinding the beans yourself. I may try to snag one on Facebook marketplace or something.

You know, as I'm typing this I've come to the realization: I'm not even much of a coffee person lmao.

I've read that the best way to go about it is by grinding the beans yourself. I may try to snag one on Facebook marketplace or something.

You know, as I'm typing this I've come to the realization: I'm not even much of a coffee person lmao.

Indeed - grinding the beans in small batches right before you intend to brew is your best bet. Don't get them pre-ground if you can help it.

Absolutely, grind your beans right before use. You’ll never go back to pre-ground after. And, (from ample trial-and-error experience) get a Burr grinder rather than a blade grinder - makes a big difference. I have the Baratza Encore and it’s wonderful.

Absolutely, grind your beans right before use. You’ll never go back to pre-ground after. And, (from ample trial-and-error experience) get a Burr grinder rather than a blade grinder - makes a big difference. I have the Baratza Encore and it’s wonderful.

I will need to check this out. Thanks for bring that up. I used a blade grinder at the moment.

Can second/third/fourth that grinding right before brewing is the way to go and makes a noticeable difference, regardless of how you actually make your coffee.

I'll have to check out the Baratza at some point. I've just got a pretty standard Cuisinart we received as a present a couple years back that I've been happy with so far, but the Encore looks fancy.

Curious what brand(s) of beans people like. I prefer dark roast and have been using Intelligentsia's El Diablo as my default. I don't live in an especially large city, so there aren't specialty stores or the like around; usually just go to Fresh Market.

Can second/third/fourth that grinding right before brewing is the way to go and makes a noticeable difference, regardless of how you actually make your coffee.

I'll have to check out the Baratza at some point. I've just got a pretty standard Cuisinart we received as a present a couple years back that I've been happy with so far, but the Encore looks fancy.

Curious what brand(s) of beans people like. I prefer dark roast and have been using Intelligentsia's El Diablo as my default. I don't live in an especially large city, so there aren't specialty stores or the like around; usually just go to Fresh Market.

Just poured me some pressed coffee. I use the Starbucks Pike Place roast. I do like a dark roast but I’ve lately been enjoying a medium roast. I’ve tried some others including an Italian brand that I forget - we bought it at Homegoods lol. I really like the taste of Starbucks. They do a good job on their roasting process IMO.

Just poured me some pressed coffee. I use the Starbucks Pike Place roast. I do like a dark roast but I’ve lately been enjoying a medium roast. I’ve tried some others including an Italian brand that I forget - we bought it at Homegoods lol. I really like the taste of Starbucks. They do a good job on their roasting process IMO

Really considering going for a bow fitting and just purchasing my own. Renting the gear plus the lane adds up quick and my back muscles need the work with all this sitting

Just poured me some pressed coffee. I use the Starbucks Pike Place roast. I do like a dark roast but I’ve lately been enjoying a medium roast. I’ve tried some others including an Italian brand that I forget - we bought it at Homegoods lol. I really like the taste of Starbucks. They do a good job on their roasting process IMO.

I'm guessing so, but is their home coffee as strong as the stuff in the store? I normally drink 2 cups at home in the morning, but one 16 oz. Starbucks is usually enough to get me wired. Although I guess you could always just use less ground coffee.

I'm guessing so, but is their home coffee as strong as the stuff in the store? I normally drink 2 cups at home in the morning, but one 16 oz. Starbucks is usually enough to get me wired. Although I guess you could always just use less ground coffee.

Normally during my week I have the Starbucks K cups (just bought a new Keurig with the multi-stream technology), and I've noticed a big difference from our previous Keurig (older model). As far as the bagged coffee - I picked it up at the grocery store the other day. I would imagine it's on par with what you could get in a Starbucks. Usually pressed coffee gets me wired more-so than typical pre-ground K cup coffee.

Now that I am thinking about it, want to say that the last bag of whole beans I purchased at a Starbucks and ground that for pressed coffee had me slightly more wired. So maybe there is something to it?

Burr grinding ensures the grounds are uniform in size allowing for a more consistent brew. Blade grinders are fine but once you get used to a Burr grinder, it’s hard not to use one. It’s funny, I never meant to become a coffee snob, but once you get used to the quality, you realize life is too short for bad coffee, lol.

As for the beans themselves, I’m a fan of small, craft roasters. These are some of my favorites:

Arbuckles’ - my go to with creative variety, consistent quality and great customer service Arbuckle Coffee | Fresh Roasted Coffee | Buy Coffee Online

Mark Ferrari - excellent Kona coffee

Caffé Unimatic - unique, Neapolitan style coffee in a variety of roasts Hand Crafted Coffee Blends

Ohori’s - love their Latin American single origins and blends

Reactions: 3 users
Burr grinding ensures the grounds are uniform in size allowing for a more consistent brew. Blade grinders are fine but once you get used to a Burr grinder, it’s hard not to use one. It’s funny, I never meant to become a coffee snob, but once you get used to the quality, you realize life is too short for bad coffee, lol.

As for the beans themselves, I’m a fan of small, craft roasters. These are some of my favorites:

Arbuckles’ - my go to with creative variety, consistent quality and great customer service Arbuckle Coffee | Fresh Roasted Coffee | Buy Coffee Online

Caffé Unimatic - unique, Neapolitan style coffee in a variety of roasts Hand Crafted Coffee Blends

Yeah, I'd heard about burr grinders being better; I think my Cuisinart is technically a burr grinder, although not as nice as the Baratza.

I'll definitely check out some or all of the roasters you've linked, thank you.

Thanks for posting this. I will check this out. I agree - once you elevate your coffee experience, it's hard to go back to sub-par coffee.

I really like Piñon. Got introduced to it when I was in NM. However, whether it’s the piñon or something else, I get palpitations when I drink it, unfortunately.
Woah, that sounds like a good reason to stay away. I like the traditional and the mexican chocolate.

also have a pretty standard cuisinart with built in grinder, totally agree that grinding before brewing makes a difference.
I buy beans from Pinon, the whole bean large bags, usually BOGO
We have a Technivorm Mochamaster (carafe model). Brews a good pot, and relatively quickly. More importantly, it looks really cool. Daily drinker is Peets French roast, brewed pretty strong. Does the trick. My favorite cup of coffee is a perc ground dark roast (few good local roasters) made in a cheap aluminum percolator over the camp stove, served somewhat chunky style in a blue enamel mug (outdoors of course)
1675659425228.png

Last edited:
I tried Cutwater the other day. I am not made for these streets anymore.

Super Bowl weekend!!! I’ve never been an Eagles fan but I enjoy watching Jalen Hurts enough that I’ll finally root for my childhood hometown team (just this once).

Cooking up some nice thick New York Strip steaks with compound butter and herbs (thyme and rosemary), roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts, and a Malbec. Going to enjoy it while playing an escape/puzzle game with my wife.

How you all feeling about the "big game" this weekend? Even though I spent several years in PA and was into the Eagles, I'm feeling a little "meh" about the whole thing. I've played in a Sunday night hockey pickup league for years, and this is the first year we haven't cancelled or rescheduled during the Superbowl. Still a lot of players saying they'll be out (I'm too old for those nights where we only have of couple of subs on the bench!), so maybe some interest, but definitely not like it has been in past years.

Reactions: 2 users
Y'all - I have been searching my area for a special kind of cargo bike called a bakfiet for two years. Think if a beach cruiser and wheelbarrow had a baby. They're super popular in the netherlands. But the appeal is that my kiddos can sit in the front on a bench and I can interact with them while we ride around. I had a madsen bucket bike before this, but they ride behind you in a bucket, so it's not as interactive.

And this week, I was able to find TWO in my state! So I went out and bought one off of facebook marketplace on Monday night. It's in great shape and very fun to tool around on. I had a cancellation and picked up the kiddos with it from day care.

Now we just gotta get my wife a more fun style of bike for cruising around with.

Smoking my first brisket today- just put it in to be ready for dinner time.
Question for those of you who have done this before- do you wrap flat for final cooking (I separated the point from flat so it would all fit, and am doing burnt ends with point)? If yes, do you add liquid within the rap?

Of course it was 16 degrees out this morning and I had to chop a path on the deck through 2 inches of ice! I sure hope this works!

I have recently developed the habit of slowly destroying my pens by unscrewing various movable parts during sessions. Any recommendations for sturdier pens? I will work on being less fidgety at some point, but not today.

I have recently developed the habit of slowly destroying my pens by unscrewing various movable parts during sessions. Any recommendations for sturdier pens? I will work on being less fidgety at some point, but not today.
Three options:

1. Buy cheap Bic pens with no removable parts aside from the cap
2. Buy something decent quality like a Parker that is meant to be taken apart with a refillable ink cartridge
3. Find a new nervous habit to replace pen destruction. Maybe put a rubber band on your wrist and snap it.

Three options:

1. Buy cheap Bic pens with no removable parts aside from the cap
2. Buy something decent quality like a Parker that is meant to be taken apart with a refillable ink cartridge
3. Find a new nervous habit to replace pen destruction. Maybe put a rubber band on your wrist and snap it.
This inspired me to see if there is a fourth option and there is! I can get a pen that is designed for me to fidget with it. My favorite so far is the one that is made up of magnets.

Uniball pens. Good to write with. Nothing to take apart. Not very expensive.

Or start doing the Luria fingertip tapping. A drunk professor of logic taught me that one rainy day in an ice cream shop.

• Haha