Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to hear about that. We have a cat with a seizure disorder and it is just so hard. We actually have had more success with phenobarbital than keppra or other medications we tried. My wife believes that was related to shorter half-life of keppra and sensitivity to inducing seizures when the level of the keppra fluctuates. Stress appears to be a potential precipitant as well.
Funny story. We found out the little bugger has been cheeking his meds. My wife found a couple of little pills laying around on several occasions and at first wasn’t sure what they were until the other day when she found another and it was clearly one of his phenobarbital pills. It’s like I’m running a residential treatment program for cats. 😆

Yeah, huskies evidently are at increased risk for seizures and his is very much precipitated by being overly excited/in new environments. I actually caught our husky spitting his pills back up, so I always open his mouth and watch him for a minute before I walk away. He usually spits up one of his pills every day so I have to find it on the floor. My spouse is a pharmacist, so luckily we’ve been working with the vet to get the meds right, but idk…I gave him gabapentin this morning before taking them and I guess I didn’t wait long enough. Probably should have waited an hour before I dropped them off.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear about that. We have a cat with a seizure disorder and it is just so hard. We actually have had more success with phenobarbital than keppra or other medications we tried. My wife believes that was related to shorter half-life of keppra and sensitivity to inducing seizures when the level of the keppra fluctuates. Stress appears to be a potential precipitant as well.
Funny story. We found out the little bugger has been cheeking his meds. My wife found a couple of little pills laying around on several occasions and at first wasn’t sure what they were until the other day when she found another and it was clearly one of his phenobarbital pills. It’s like I’m running a residential treatment program for cats. 😆
Do dogs get kepprage? I've worked with several kiddos who have had to discontinue it bc of that.

Also, my wife is on keppra - when she gets pregnant her dose slowly goes up as she gets bigger and she is a crab for about three days.

Yeah, huskies evidently are at increased risk for seizures and his is very much precipitated by being overly excited/in new environments. I actually caught our husky spitting his pills back up, so I always open his mouth and watch him for a minute before I walk away. He usually spits up one of his pills every day so I have to find it on the floor. My spouse is a pharmacist, so luckily we’ve been working with the vet to get the meds right, but idk…I gave him gabapentin this morning before taking them and I guess I didn’t wait long enough. Probably should have waited an hour before I dropped them off.
These work great for our dogs…
07AC37A7-3F9D-47BA-B3D2-7BA79799376F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At the Neuroscience Education Institute (NEI) Annual Psychopharmacology Congress in Colorado Springs. My 12th one and always worth it. Great conference for anyone interested in psychopharm. Incredible venue too; The Broadmoor Resort is amazing!
0A9E6B1F-2202-42E9-B50E-3A88AD95B72C.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
At the Neuroscience Education Institute (NEI) Annual Psychopharmacology Congress in Colorado Springs. My 12th one and always worth it. Great conference for anyone interested in psychopharm. Incredible venue too; The Broadmoor Resort is amazing!
View attachment 361749
That view and path is beautiful

closing out a busy two-week stretch of academic advising. Part of our role as faculty is to be advisors to ~20 undergrads who we meet with individually each semester to plan classes and talk about progress/life. For many reasons I have the most advisees of the department -- 25, down from 33 last year. I do enjoy getting to know them more personally and witnessing their growth over four years. I also consistently struggle with carving out an "extra" 12-15 hours of meeting time each semester during this time. Glad it's over. Spring registration begins Monday, 10 class meetings to go! Conference proposals due in a few weeks...

hopefully a low-key weekend, just taking the kids to watch FIL play drums in his community band Saturday.

College hockey road trip tonight with my kids to Providence to see the alma mater take on PC (and lose). Joined by another psychologist from my practice who is a PC grad. It’s kind of wild to see actual Dominican Friars in their white robes jump up and wave their rally towels when the “Friars” score. Some great pre-game Portuguese food at an old friend’s restaurant in East Providence.

Last edited:
College hockey road trip tonight with my kids to Providence to see the alma mater take on PC (and lose). Joined by another l psychologist from my practice who is a PC grad. It’s kind of wild to see actual Dominican Friars in their white robes jump up and waive their rally towels when the “Friars” score. Some great pre-game Portuguese food at an old friend’s restaurant in East Providence.

Super jealous about the Portuguese food. Being married to a Brazilian for 12 years, we both love Portuguese food.

Super jealous about the Portuguese food. Being married to a Brazilian for 12 years, we both love Portuguese food.
Doing another hockey road trip next weekend which will mean that I miss a worknbuddies road trip to the closest churrascaria. I might just have to pick up some pichana and a bottle of cachaca soon. Love to cook it over the fire pit.

• Love
It's almost Friday!

I have officially lived long enough to become reviewer 2.

It's almost Friday!

I have officially lived long enough to become reviewer 2.

Pick and choose those reviews sparingly. Once you open that door, the review invites start to increase exponentially. Luckily, my state allows for article reviews to count for a certain number of CE credits.

Pick and choose those reviews sparingly. Once you open that door, the review invites start to increase exponentially. Luckily, my state allows for article reviews to count for a certain number of CE credits.
I do fewer manuscript reviews these days. Most of the requests I get relate to network analysis-based papers, and I don't have the energy to revise those lately.

In this case, I was urging heavy revision to proposed policy language at our hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to cut a session off early yesterday. Grandmother took the baby to the doctor for an ear infection. She’s got rsv and they needed our consent for breathing treatments. I raced there and am staying home with the baby for the week it seems. Here’s to unpaid time off!

• Care
I had to cut a session off early yesterday. Grandmother took the baby to the doctor for an ear infection. She’s got rsv and they needed our consent for breathing treatments. I raced there and am staying home with the baby for the week it seems. Here’s to unpaid time off!
Bummer. I'm starting to see a lot more runny noses with my assessment kiddos, so the RSV and Flu are coming. We're still required to wear masks as COVID precaution, so that'll help keep me getting the other, nastier stuff. Good luck with your kiddo and try to enjoy some of the time off.

Another college hockey road trip weekend. Home and away, and the alma mater got destroyed at home tonight 7-2. Going to ghe big city for the game against Boston Univ. tomorrow. Lucked into the ticket- my son bought tickets for him and his girlfriend who goes to school near Boston. She sorta dumped him a few weeks ago, so I got the invite to the game tomorrow, as well as to a game in January at Fenway Park, to which he also bought tickets for himself and girlfriend. I felt really bad for him (dumped by first love and all that), but free tickets to hockey at Fenway! Sucks for the boy, but he'll get over it. Fast forward a few weeks and wouldn't you know it- they're back together. I still get to go tomorrow, but he's back to bringing her to the game at Fenway!

Somewhat of an ethical dilemma before game tonight. Father of a kiddo I assessed owns a food truck. Amazing food (Halal). Stopped by with my son for some eats, and the man wouldn't take my money. I tried to sneak it into the cart, but to no avail. His position was that I've done so much good for his family, that I'm now considered family, and family does not pay for food in his culture. I'm honored and humbled (sincerely- to be regarded so kindly by such wonderful people is a privilege of the job I don't take lightly), but will not be able to eat there again. Bummer, because the chicken gyro was insanely good. Maybe I'll dress in disguise or send somebody else to order for me next time.

Another college hockey road trip weekend. Home and away, and the alma mater got destroyed at home tonight 7-2. Going to ghe big city for the game against Boston Univ. tomorrow. Lucked into the ticket- my son bought tickets for him and his girlfriend who goes to school near Boston. She sorta dumped him a few weeks ago, so I got the invite to the game tomorrow, as well as to a game in January at Fenway Park, to which he also bought tickets for himself and girlfriend. I felt really bad for him (dumped by first love and all that), but free tickets to hockey at Fenway! Sucks for the boy, but he'll get over it. Fast forward a few weeks and wouldn't you know it- they're back together. I still get to go tomorrow, but he's back to bringing her to the game at Fenway!

Somewhat of an ethical dilemma before game tonight. Father of a kiddo I assessed owns a food truck. Amazing food (Halal). Stopped by with my son for some eats, and the man wouldn't take my money. I tried to sneak it into the cart, but to no avail. His position was that I've done so much good for his family, that I'm now considered family, and family does not pay for food in his culture. I'm honored and humbled (sincerely- to be regarded so kindly by such wonderful people is a privilege of the job I don't take lightly), but will not be able to eat there again. Bummer, because the chicken gyro was insanely good. Maybe I'll dress in disguise or send somebody else to order for me next time.

Tell him that he can either take payment directly, or you’re going to donate the money to charity in his name. His choice in how you pay.

I like what @PsyDr suggested, but would have a talk with the guy and explain the ethical conundrum. If he doesn't want to take your money, just have him give it to charity he believes in. Maybe start a collection for an Autism charity at his food truck if others want to give. After all, you got paid for your work.

Also, I am jealous. The good halal place near me shut down. So now it is a mediocre place or go for a ride to get decent halal.

Clinical work this morning. Then working on forensic and academic stuff all weekend. Maybe some Christmas shopping, planning for a few upcoming trips, cooking something new. Redecorating the office next week.

Trying to clear the report slate clean today. Then need to do a little business/financial paperwork and projecting. Doing my best to avoid overbooking as I am booked for several months and I'm getting a lot of IME requests these past couple weeks.

Trying to clear the report slate clean today. Then need to do a little business/financial paperwork and projecting. Doing my best to avoid overbooking as I am booked for several months and I'm getting a lot of IME requests these past couple weeks.
The forensic market is finally back to normal.

The forensic market is finally back to normal.

Yeah, there was a slight slow down, but the end of 2022 has been pretty steady. One of the things I'm doing is revising my fee schedule for 2023, no reason not to raise fees a bit considering the increasing demand.

Ordering a new laptop for private work. Been using some garbage one for years that I got right after fellowship. Thinking about switching over to macbook pro or air. Thoughts?
I use a MacBook Pro for my research and clinical work - love it. Mine is just over 2 years old and running strong.. only thing that sucks is that you have to get a bunch of adapters b/c all of the plugs are USB-C ... for USB, dual monitors, ethernet, etc.

I bought a MacBook in 2009 and used that thing throughout grad school, internship, and fellowship -- while it drastically slowed down towards the end, it has laster longer than any of my previous non-Mac laptops (11 years).

Fridays are my lighter clinical day so I have one more appointment to get through!

I think hatewatching Love is Blind 3 and ordering some takeout is in my future. That and a lot of paperwork and license renewal stuff I need to sort through this weekend.

You get 2 months off/between semesters? Nice! Enjoy!
yes, 7 years in and I still pinch myself that it's real. I've got final papers to read next week and a dept "retreat" in Jan, but no class for 2 months!
got our tree, decorating and watching fútbol

Ordering a new laptop for private work. Been using some garbage one for years that I got right after fellowship. Thinking about switching over to macbook pro or air. Thoughts?
A mid to upper tier Thinkpad! For as much typing as we do and the beatings a laptop can take from setting to setting, they can’t be beat. Their keyboards are the absolute best.

TGIF people! Any cool plans this weekend? I have some clients Saturday AM and then driving about 2 hrs away to go see my favorite musical. Really looking forward to sharing it with my kiddo.

I have a million Christmas things to do, but they will get done eventually.

Tonight was Greek food, red wine, and good friends. Needed after an afternoon that made me want to bang my head against a wall.

I've joined the "two-timer" club (i.e. second bout of covid). Isolating in the basement and having a bad movie marathon. Yesterday was Troll 2 (classic, but I've never seen it before), and Samurai Cop. Samurai Cop is a truly glorious film, most notable for all the awesome hair. It's a must see. Tonight I'm thinking Battlefield Earth or maybe a rewatch of the Nic Cage Wickerman.

I've joined the "two-timer" club (i.e. second bout of covid). Isolating in the basement and having a bad movie marathon. Yesterday was Troll 2 (classic, but I've never seen it before), and Samurai Cop. Samurai Cop is a truly glorious film, most notable for all the awesome hair. It's a must see. Tonight I'm thinking Battlefield Earth or maybe a rewatch of the Nic Cage Wickerman.

Willy's Wonderland.

Willy's Wonderland.

Sorry about the second bout of covid, hope it passes quickly! Though I'm gonna say willy's wonderland was kinda odd and not typical cage odd (I like cage and I like the fnaf franchise, this was just a weird mix). Did watch Face Off for the first time and it was fun to see all the references it inspired.

Saw streetlight manifesto live and nearly got pulled into the mosh pit. Made it out alive though and music was good.

Teching 7-7 this Friday and tomorrow in this lovely level II snow emergency we have here in the midwest. Coworker brought in donuts, happy to be here, or to have gotten here I should say.. The roads are scary.

I went outside to get the mail. Its cold....don't really want to do that again. Anyone successfully teach their dog to use the toilet? Seems like a good time for him to learn self-sufficiency.

• Haha
SO got me a bottle of Knob Creek 9-year 100 proof as a Xmas gift. Cracked it open today and was very pleasantly surprised. Will definitely be keeping this on hand along with my other standard go-tos.

Reactions: 2 users
on campus submitting MA letters of rec, some planning, reading
and because I like data, and to quantify the work, I have a spreadsheet tracking the letters of rec over the years...
384 letters for 50 students in 6.5 years
happy new year y'all!

I don't even watch much football, but I'm happy Hamlin is awake.

Reactions: 3 users
Sad news is that my son's girlfriend broke up with him a week before Christmas. Good news is that I get her ticket to join my son and watch alma mater play hockey in Fenway Park tonight! Even better, I treated us to a hotel so we don't have to make the 2 hour drive home after the game, and the deal was if I pay for hotel son has to treat me to a meal. He thinks he's getting the good end of that deal, but both he and I can eat quite a bit!

• Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Happy Friday, y'all!

I had a terrible migraine yesterday and two doses of a triptan didn't work all that well. But today, it's gone! I woke up 430 and took the jog for a run. I got this stupid cargo bike (Madsen) for like $600 that allows me to carry the kiddos around in a bucket that is attached to the back. My wife refuses to ride in the bucket with kids, so I she's picking a cruiser from her mom today. So we will be biking to dinner tonight, and I'm pretty excited about that.

Be thankful guys. Covid hit my house over xmas and my kid's daycare around the same time. They were able to stay open but we needed to scramble for care on monday. This week my favorite teacher at my kids daycare was out with heart issues. She is always wonderful to my boy - just nurturing/greets him with a big hug - but she's also deceptively old and at retirement age. Well, she was in the hospital this week with heart issues, but no covid. It's a small world, but we're from the same small town and went to the same high school (but she graduated like 35 years before me). They did a surgery on her on weds and she went home yesterday. She'll likely retire, I bet. When I found out she was in the hospital I did something, I almost never do, but I prayed. There is a certain hypocrisy there because I am an agnostic atheist, was raised in a atheist household, by atheist, albeit formerly LDS, parents. I kind of view it as marshalling myself and putting a vibe out. Anyway, we sent her a card with a little money just as a thanks. She's probably done teaching my son, but what she has done for him every morning is something I'll miss and am just thankful for. I'm glad she's on the mend.

• Care