frats, summer classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I think your site is great. I just have one question requesting your
opinion on the issue of med schools and frats: Do med school admissions
officers frown upon applicants who were in a fraternity? I am thinking of
joining a frat and it seems to me that the positives : leadership, brotherhood,
alumni connections, and social outlet outweigh its negatives: (only one I
could think of is stereotype of being a "frat boy"). What are your thoughts
on this matter. Some info about me: I am a first year at the University of
Chicago and have a 3.9 GPA also I plan to hold high leadership at frat next
year, in addition to other activities. If I join the frat will it hurt me? thanks
Also, I am planning to take O chem over the summer. Is this a good
decision? What are the pros and cons of taking a summer course like
Ochem?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your letter. Could you tell me where in my site I criticize frats? I know I tell of one incident in which my roommate was getting hazed by a frat, but I thought I took all direct criticism of frats off the site. I did have an old page criticizing frat life, but due to some very valid opposing opinions, I deleted the page. Your assistance in this matter is appreciated.
Medical school admission offices do not frown on students joining fraternities. In fact, it can be a
positive... showing that you are well rounded.
As for the summer course... Summer courses tend to be very dense. Lots of information is crammed into a course which lasts only a few weeks. Organic chemistry can be hard enough to digest in a semester, so think hard about why you want to take this course over the summer.

I'm against summer courses unless they are absolutely necessary. Summer experience, such as volunteering, working in a lab/hospital, etc... is more important than a summer class unless you have to take the class to graduate on time. Equally important, you need some time to relax. It is easy to suffer pre-med burn out!

Hope this helped!

Jim Henderson, MD